The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay at Edinburgh Fringe Festival (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I have never had bad responses yet but I believe this is mainly due to the setting in which I perform and I try to get to know my audience before hand as well as during. But this wuld all be changed in a large cold venue. As a hypnotist I put myself in the state those I'm working with are, trouble is that it means if thing were not going well I would know instantly and would find it difficult to ignor.
When people meet me before hand they usually see I'm a nice person who's simply here to entertain them and mabe make a friend or two, when I go into my presentation I get a very nice responce and usually end up booked to be the entertainment and many more parties parties, I have never advertised.
I feel my not walking out on stage cold makes a huge differance.
H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I would never get near a Senior Military's Balls personally...
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 08:34, Adam wrote:
Why wasn't the Oracle in Matrix a teenager? Perhaps there's something about this that tells us what kind of people are seen (amongst the laity) as having 'heightened mental abilities'. I still can't explain Geller, though.

With Geller early on, there was a sense of innocence. A certain, naivete. He was as amazed and as excited when something happened as the people viewing his feats. He was mentalism's equivalent of Doug Henning.

Thom
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Just returned from the festival and saw Luke's show and he blew me away, his humour, mannorisms and overall stage presence is fantastic, much better than when I saw him in the past.
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2004-08-27 13:36, bevbevvybev wrote:
I would never get near a Senior Military's Balls personally...

Well I tried but my kick missed..

Honestly it ended up with a pile up on stage!

Quote:
On 2004-08-27 12:54, adamjames wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-08-26 18:16, bartlewizard wrote:
However, if Adamjames is to be believed, having audience members discuss methods is a fairly serious breach for any kind of magical entertainer.

I'm just reporting what happened at the particular show I was at. It wasn't so much guessing what he was doing, as REALISING what he was doing...the methods were obvious by his presentation, to be honest. It was a shame...I had looked forward to this show.

If Luke did indeed change his show around, that could explain why some liked it and some didn't...they would have seen different things.

Adam

Luke has done a show everyday for nearly a month. I reckon on some days he is tying out new material. Perhaps that's why you got an off day. Wouldn't be suprised if it was one of the first times he did those effects.

Funnily enough the day I went it was Mandy that fell flat and was experiencing lack of audience response due to her timing being a bit off. I guess a month is a long time. I am sure all three of them have learned a lot from this experience. What a great opportunity. Jackie Clements went down well that day to..
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
For what it's worth Stuart & Barry from the channel 4 show: 'Magick' were offered one of the spots on the Luke/Mandy/Jackie slot in Edinburgh but couldn't make it. They are presently doing stand-up slots ( next one in Bournmouth on 29th August)and having seen the show I can tell you it's hilarios.
They actually do mobile phone from stomach 'live' and it has the audience in fits!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Quote:
On 2004-08-27 13:45, ESP Guy wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 08:34, Adam wrote:
Why wasn't the Oracle in Matrix a teenager? Perhaps there's something about this that tells us what kind of people are seen (amongst the laity) as having 'heightened mental abilities'. I still can't explain Geller, though.

With Geller early on, there was a sense of innocence. A certain, naivete. He was as amazed and as excited when something happened as the people viewing his feats. He was mentalism's equivalent of Doug Henning.

Thom

I guess the point is that, if you are young, you could have power, but not control.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-08-27 20:08, enriqueenriquez wrote:

I guess the point is that, if you are young, you could have power, but not control.

Exactly! Look at Anakin Skywalker, he was pod racing at a very early age. Oh wait a minute that isn't real life is it? Smile
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2004-08-26 19:06, shrink wrote:
There is definitely a gap in the market for such a book. Mentalists would benefit from learning presentation skills aimed at maximization. Performing should be much more than effects. In fact the effects should only be part of the process.

I hope you'll forgive the tangent here, but I wanted to point out that there already is such a book. It's by Ken Weber, it's called Maximum Entertainment, and it's available from most dealers. Ken performed professionally for 15-20 years, and went to school for theatre, so he knows what he's talking about.

At Magic Live last week, he sold out of every copy he brought with him, and every time we were hanging out, people were coming up to him who already owned it and were saying it was the best book in magic they'd ever purchased. I kid you not, I even saw people buying copies to give to friends as gifts when their friends weren't willing to buy it for themselves.

For full disclosure, Ken is somebody I'm honored to consider a friend, but I'd say the same thing regardless of whether I knew him or not. As a matter of fact, I bought the book and was recommending it when I'd only met Ken once or twice and was really only a passing acquaintance.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1347 Posts

Profile of Colin
Just thought I'd share this as I finally managed to track it down. It's from the Three Week review...

The Magic Zone
Mary Tobin Presents
Magic is a risky business. Either you have that special gift or you don't. The Magic Zone presents three very different magicians; one who kinda has it, one who doesn't, and the last who definitely does. Jackie McClements, a Glaswegian schoolteacher by trade but a magician at heart, captures the audience's attention with age-old card tricks, displaying a talent for misdirection and slight of hand. Mandy Muden's performance though is likely to leave you wondering if you saw any magic at all. Her outrageous flirting and sexual innuendos fall flat, and bring the tone down a notch. It is nineteen-year-old Luke Jermay who steals the show, and while he claims not to be a mind reader, his ability to manipulate a situation and the audience, will leave you flabbergasted. All-in-all there's much skill, comedy and charm here.

...well call me 'mental' but I think Luke done good?

Colin
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
This is from The Scotsman newspaper:

The three acts have their own specialities. Jackie McClements, who tells us he’s a teacher from Clydebank, does sleight-of-hand card tricks. They’re a little hard to see from the back of the room, but his mild manner is pleasing.

Mandy Muden is a mischievous flirt who likes to twist expectations and subvert the obvious tricks. She’s a good laugh too.

Nineteen-year-old mindreader Luke Jermay does a long routine which never quite works, but his use of suggestion with other audience members goes down well.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I reckon that's a good result both reviews. Keeping in mind the lenght of the run and the stage where Luke is at right now.

Reviwes are just someones views frozen in time
Things move on and develope.

A bit like this forum SmileWe sometimes get to serious on here.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1347 Posts

Profile of Colin
Hey all,

Had a few people e-mail me over this matter still asking if I knew of any other reviews, so to save time, and incase anyone else would like to read them, I have these as well.

Hope those who e-mailed me aren't offended, just thought this way it would benefit everyone.

Best Wishes,
Colin

“Luke Jermay reads minds. A mix of autosuggestion and
interpreting body language is how he says it is done.
But his amazing capacity to tell what members of the
audience were thinking had me gasping.”

The Razz Live Festival Reviews

"Luke Jermay with his Derren Brown style mind control
magic. This saves the show and is unlike anything you
have seen before. The man manages not only to
subconsciously influence people’s decision making, but
he also stops someone’s pulse! (No, they don’t die)"

Forth One
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
seanadl
View Profile
New user
London UK
100 Posts

Profile of seanadl
Luke jermay also doesn't answer emails
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-09-12 14:50, seanadl wrote:
Luke jermay also doesn't answer emails

Yes he does.
seanadl
View Profile
New user
London UK
100 Posts

Profile of seanadl
I should rephrase, Luke Jermay doesn't answer my emails. Great performer, not so great at following up purchases made by customers.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2004-08-27 09:04, shrink wrote:
A tip I learned the hard way never do Senior Military Balls in the UK. They are a no go area...

What's that? I'm picturing a roomful of retired colonels & their Better Halves ... seems like a comedy skit waiting to happen ...
freeflyphil
View Profile
New user
phil
79 Posts

Profile of freeflyphil
I went to see the show and enjoyed it. However as a beginner (been into magis only for 2.5 months)I was dissapointed that I was able to guess a lot of the methods of a pro. Also Luke attempted the stopped pulse routine but no one who came up on stage knew how to find his pulse. I would of thought it was obvious one should ask for anyone who was sure they could do this, for example someone with medical training. All luke did was ask if anyone had ever found their pulse, that's asking for trouble in my opinion and that's what he got. Still that doesn't mean there wasnt some strong stuff. I do wish he qouldnt quote Banacheck verbatim though.There are lots of ways to same the same thing without saying the same thing.
BullzEyE
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of BullzEyE
Ive heard a lot about this guy and that he was pretty good. I enjoyed his routines
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2004-09-18 14:21, freeflyphil wrote:
I went to see the show and enjoyed it. However as a beginner (been into magis only for 2.5 months)I was dissapointed that I was able to guess a lot of the methods of a pro.

Wow, he must have been having a really really bad day!!!!!!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay at Edinburgh Fringe Festival (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL