The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay at Edinburgh Fringe Festival (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Svengali
View Profile
Regular user
USA
138 Posts

Profile of Svengali
Did you see him? Please post a review!
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi, I know someone who did, and he has encouraged me to get a ticket, so I feel I must be going up next week to see it. His chair prediction sounds excellent. I think I may "borrow" this.
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
The reviews on the fringe website have been awful, which I find a little surprising, though I've never seen the other two magicians perform before.
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
Yeah, the show is really good. Luke shares the show with the hilarious Mandy Muden and the card-shark Jon "Jacky" McClements. I am a big fan of Luke's work. As for a review:

He burst onstage and immediately began a tossed deck routine. In the process of this he handed out five sealed envelopes to a member of the audience (it was me). Following the tossed deck, he did a short introduction to the show and to what he will be doing.

Next he did an incredible chair prediction, quite possibly the best I have seen. Next came PK touches ala Banachek. Luke closed the show with a twisted palm from seven deceptions. There was a nice balance of material, and the shows are well worth seeing if anyone is in Edinburgh over the next couple of weeks.

Hope this helps.

TM
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Oh, I'm going to Edinburgh tomorrow. Is his show still running?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
What makes his chair prediction "the best"?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
It's intriguing that the magician fans think the show is great but the fringe reviews poor. Can someone link the fringe reviews as I'd really like a lay person's view on his performance.

Regards,

David.
Dario_Bauer
View Profile
Regular user
glasgow
109 Posts

Profile of Dario_Bauer
I saw the show yesterday, and it was very good indeed. He started with a tossed-out deck, then a blindfold routine, 'for Andruzzi', and the Chair prediction. On this occasion he never done PK Touches or 'Twisted Palm', so obviously he changes the show about quite a bit each day. I might get the chance nearer the end of the festival to go again. Smile It runs until the 30th of August at 2.50 PM every day in the pleasance.

http://www.pleasance.co.uk/edin/prog/34/index.php

Contrary to what some on the Café have suggested, his performance was absolutely excellent. I went with a layperson. After the show he spent 20 minutes telling someone about it, and I had to remind him there were also two other performers in the show! He really connected well with the audience. There was one hilarious moment when he was getting volunteers to use in 'For Andruzzi' which could have gone very wrong, but he handled it perfectly and had everyone in stitches. Smile

As for the effects, the Chair Prediction stood out because it appears he 'psychologically bullies' each spectator into a choice of chair and envelope which later match in a very visual and dramatic fashion. He even got a hit on asking the person in the blue chair to think of a colour (after they were already seated in chair). IMO this routine is pretty much perfect and he performed it wonderfully.

My personal favourite part of the show was 'For Andruzzi'. I was astonished at how effectively the suggestion worked. Some people have labeled his suggestion effects as bullying pretty blond chicks into agreeing with him when he nods his head. However, on this occasion at least, the pretty blond chick was visibly shocked and amazed at his pulse stopping, and it tripled along with the rest of the audience when he stopped a spectator's pulse too. Magnificent theatre and the effect is a masterpiece, seeing it has given me the confidence to try it myself, if nothing else the pretty blond chicks cant be bad. Smile

The other two performers were solid magic acts too that had the laymen well entertained. As much as I dislike most magic, I did enjoyed both the other acts to a good extent. Jackie McClements done an entertaining card routine then sponge balls, which passed the time, and it turns out he is from clydebank, same as me, Smile so it was good. Mandy Munden was very funny indeed. Come to think of it, I can hardly remember any of the effects she done (probably a good thing, Smile) which shows the strong impact her personality had.

A great show all round and well worth the day trip to Edinburgh.
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography"
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Review from The Scotsman newspaper (17/8/04):

"UNLIKE any magic show you’ve ever seen," says the blurb, which is odd because it’s exactly like every magic show I’ve ever seen. That’s not really a criticism, as there will always be an audience for a traditional "how-do-they-do-that?" show. Maybe the twist is that there is no twist.

The three acts have their own specialities. Jackie McClements, who tells us he’s a teacher from Clydebank, does sleight-of-hand card tricks. They’re a little hard to see from the back of the room, but his mild manner is pleasing.

Mandy Muden is a mischievous flirt who likes to twist expectations and subvert the obvious tricks. She’s a good laugh too.

Nineteen-year-old mindreader Luke Jermay does a long routine which never quite works, but his use of suggestion with other audience members goes down well.

----------------------------------------------------

Audience reviews:
http://www.edfringe.com/reviews/read.html?id=MAGIE

The venue has an area for reviews from press and public. As of writing this, there is only one (or part of one) press review, and no audience reviews posted:
http://www.pleasance.co.uk/edin/prog/34/index.php

Overall, not encouraging. It's not much use if magicians enjoy the show and the (paying) public don't. Are the Brits less inclined to enjoy magic shows? This was discussed by Jon Allen this month:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=145
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
This is the point I've been trying to make in previous posts about Luke Jermay - what do laymen think? I think a lot of magi are caught up in the originality and thinking behind his effects but what is the point if the audience reaction isn't really that great?

Regards,

David.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I agree. He doesn't appear to be going down too well with non-magical folk at all. I suppose it just goes to show that you can have the cleanest and most baffling chair prediction ever, but if your audience don't take to you they won't give a dingo's kindneys.
Hello.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
"the last guy was a low rent Derren Brown but without any personality at all. That's not quite true, he was incredibly irritating."

Which sums up what I have said in other posts concerning the importance of personality and voice etc.

"This show is an insult to magicians. A five year old could have done better. I left before the end a total waste of money. Don't bother."

Nothing specific to Jermay but then he obviously wasn't good enough to impress that audience member.

"Jerry is nuts. We know that. But my question is... how can someone be such an idiot to put on such a lousy and ridiculous show! It hurts! I haven't seen so bad magic for a while. In each of the three styles of the three starring magicians I would say it will be hard to find someone worse. They are really terrible. Don't waste your money..."

Oh dear. Not very promising at all, is it? Kind of puts things into a completely different perspective.

I don't know the people who wrote these reviews but the important factor is that they are all people who paid money to see the show and were obviously unimpressed.

Regards,

David.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I'm only going on the teaching Dvd here but I believe Lukes methods are sound, I just think maybe if he was a bit more exciteable. I can see where some of the effects can fall down. Most of my enguagements are evening parties in peoples houses or small venues where small stuff works very well, I would imagaine that every thing would drop a grade if I were to perform in a large situation such as a concert hall. I don't think pulse stopping would work well some well some where like that where your two tiny figures on a stage .
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
To an extent you have a point but I still say it's down to the performer - look how big David Berglas could make the pulse stop play. In fact look at how big Berglas could make lots of effects play.

The pulse stop is not a new effect - using suggestion within the routine is indeed new - and I'm fairly sure it plays well if pushed properly.

Regards,

David.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

I'm curious, would any one have any recomendations as to how to improve a performance that is not quite hitting? is it a natural born talent to be able to entertain or can we find out what we do wrong and fix it.
My charactor usually plays on making out that everything has gone wrong and of course in the end I'm impressively on the mark or close, of course I choose which.
What do people feel would help Luke?
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
On the other hand, Derren Brown's stage shows have been a big hit.

I think that in mentalism it is more than just the routines and the presentation. I don't agree that he should become 'more excitable' - I don't think that would fit his act. More exciting, yes - there was not much emotional feedback from him in response to his effects on the 'Skullduggery' DVD.

Just think about how profound his effects are - way beyond what might be considered conventional magic. This is serious stuff - and it's best done as such.

To make audience truly believe this, you have to have the gravitas to pull it off. Sometimes this takes something that Luke doesn't have yet...AGE! I just wonder whether somehow his youth makes some of his effects less believable. He's noticeably described in one of the press reports as '19-year-old Luke Jermay'. If this is the case, at least he can be reassured that he'll get there soon enough.

All in my very humble opinion, of course.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I saw the show and really it wasn't that bad. It went down pretty well with the audience on the day I saw it.

It is clear they are at the start of their careers. And it was an odd mix of acts.

Lukes twisted palm I was impressed with it was the most polished thing he did ad had a couple of very nice moments.

What it did need was audience interaction and build up of the effects. At least he is out there doing it.

And that is the only way to learn and make progress.

As for anyone going out there to borrow effects from Luke then you will never be any good.

Find your own material learn to pick out excellence in performing(not just in mentalism). A big part of being good is knowing what is good. Otherwise you'll just be crap..
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Sadly, perhaps you've hit the nail on the head. This is just somthign interesting that came to mind. I do a good deal of stage acting outside of mentalism, I do my own make up for my roal's, Considering I'm an artist I apply make up like I draw and paint, I exagurate the lines on my face but barely noticeably or not at all to an audience, one of the other girls noticed in the perfomance along with several others thought they had misjudged my age, due to this, I'm actually in my late twenties, Perhaps Luke could use some make up to age him Smile
Probably a silly idea but if max Maven get away with the make up so could he.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Character is a vital ingredient in a Mentalism act but that doesn't mean that you have to "play" a charecter - that is best left to performers who have acting experience and knowledge. Luke is a young guy - nothing wrong with that and he should maybe play on the fact more. I think any attempt to artficially age him would be laughable. What he needs is experience and a willingness to listen to constructive feedback. The only way to get the former is to keep on doing what he's doing. If he hasn't got the latter then he'll disappear up himself!

He's obviously an ambitious performer given his choice of material but he perhaps doesn't have the experience to carry it off well. Bear in mind that you only get one chance to entertain a group of people. It is rare to get the same audience twice.

Regards,

David.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

In my case, My charactor is close to me. Being dyslecic I have a habit of unintensionally mixing things up any way so if my charactor seems this way it's not as bad if I hit close, and when I hit the mark people it's a knock out.
I was working with a marking systim not long ago and was testing it on a friend, To cut this short I lost my mark, I couldn't see it any whre in the spred, which wasn't great as there were 4 cards marked so I had to take a shot and accept that I was going to get it wrong and blame it on psychic powers being out of line or some such, I was flabbergasted when I actually picked the marked card out by pure chance!! And my friend was amazed I got his card also.
In real Life I appear confident, but underneath I'm double cheacking every thing and ready for when things go wrong, it's only fitting that my charactor is my underneath personality lol Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay at Edinburgh Fringe Festival (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL