We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Need controlled smoke/mist for effect - What's your favorite? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
I have a closeup effect that I need to produce a cloud on demand from my hand. Nothing noxious.

Have you come across such a thing in your travels fellow mages?

Please tell me it's simpler than this!

http://www.starmgc.com/tinyfog.html
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3046 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I saw this video clip of a product called "Little Smoke" on the site of magician/director jean-luc bertrand and it looks lovely. I have no idea where to get it, however, nor at what price. Anybody?

http://www.close-up-magic.com/Film.htm

(You'll find a clickable buttom entitled "Little Smoke" beneath the Advertising heading.)

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Wow - that's very pretty, especially the way the "smoke" hangs on the surface of the outstretched hand like mist or fog.
Beats the heck out of the cheap little homespun squeeze bottle I was about to suggest...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I hope that little smoke thing does not involve putting chemicals on your fingers and base of thumb. Such stuff tends to mess up other props. If it works clean... I want one... or two... even if it is $1200 like the other device.

Been wanting to do a routine with a wisp of smoke for AGES. Also to work with with just a glimmer of light.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Has anyone used a small piece of dry ice in the hand to produce such an effect?
I have no experience of dry ice.
Is this possible or is it stupid? One does not preclude the other.

All the best.
Franmonet
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Franmonet
Ultra smoke 2000 from Hocus pocus might be what your looking for costs $125.
Heck is for people who don't believe in gosh
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3046 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-08-21 18:10, nornb wrote:
Has anyone used a small puiece of dry ice in the hand to produce such an effect?
I have no experience of dry ice.
Is this possible or is it stupid? One does not preclude the other.

All the best.

This is possible but not practical. Dry ice will burn you.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Jay Scott Berry has a rather simple hand held device that uses dry ice to produce a smoke-like vapor. A few years ago this was a part of his lecture.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3046 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-08-21 21:57, Sid Mayer wrote:
Jay Scott Berry has a rather simple hand held device that uses dry ice to produce a smoke-like vapor. A few years ago this was a part of his lecture.

Sid

I stand corrected.
Thanks Sid!

Best,
Neil
nornb
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of nornb
Quote:
---------------
Thanks for the info Sid Mayer and Necromancer Neil.

I have just had a quick look on the Jay Scott Berry website.
His "Illusioneering" 2004 lecture notes are there. I assume the dry ice device will be on older lecture notes than these.
Does anyone have the name for this effect/device?

All the best, and thanks again
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
I believe the information is on his "Mist Magic" video.
I'm not 100% sure if it's still available directly from him.

I did find it here:
http://www.berardismagicshop.com/magicvideospage3.htm

Hope this helps,
Dave Birtwell
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Clifford, I am sending you a pm, feel free to let me know if you think it will not work for you!
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
powen
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of powen
Good news. After some detective work I have located the source of LITTLE SMOKE> Go to http://www.magicboutique.com

There is a link on there to convert to english. IT IS ONLY 15 EUROS! I have requested more info from them about the product as there is practically nothing on the site. However at that price I think I will just buy it.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3046 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2004-08-23 10:56, powen wrote:
Good news. After some detective work I have located the source of LITTLE SMOKE> Go to http://www.magicboutique.com

There is a link on there to convert to english. IT IS ONLY 15 EUROS! I have requested more info from them about the product as there is practically nothing on the site. However at that price I think I will just buy it.

Thanks for the link! I emailed the director, but hadn't heard back.

Best,
Neil
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 16:51, nornb wrote:
Does anyone have the name for this effect/device?

It used to be called "Dragon Mist", not sure if it is still being marketed that way as that is from a catalogue I have had for about ten years. I often toyed with the idea of getting this one but never got around to it. Anyone have any feedback on it?
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Great ideas so far! Thanks guys!

I have an Ultra Smoke and while the smoke is nice, it is horrific pain in the arse to deal with and is a terribly noxious chemical only suited for stage. It fricken eats everything so I say "Back to the hell you came from Pizuzu!!"

Dry ice is possible but it requires hot water for the best effect, I will include this in my testing however as it is basically safe.

Your method is killer, Kay. Fellow Bizarrists, Kay knows her stuff! Ross and I will have to give that a go. BTW, are you going to Beyond Bizarre with Jeff & Eugene again?
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
You betcha, Our deposits are in, and this payday is already earmarked! and if you don't bring a little mist to show off with, I might just have to!... now where did I put that dewar!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Kay, you have the luxury of a day job where LN2 is readily available. I used to have that luxury. Now I have to figure out who will sell it to Magi in small quantities. You don't want to know what the deposit is on a 50 litre dewar flask!

I'll see you in Las Vegas in October... assuming my day job isn't subjected to an unexpected last minute major customer I can't ignore, that is.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Ross,

One, have you tried Tony Andruzzi's method from "Coffin Nail"? Very simple to recreate, easily accessable anywhere.

Two, are you guys going to the "Beyond Bizarre" in October? I'm really jealous now!

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Rick,

Yes I have used Tony's method which is fantastic for that effect. The effect I am working on is quite different and requires more of a genuine cloud to go along with the narrative.

Yes, we are planning to go to the 2nd Annual Beyond Bizarre. Kay was also there last year. You should be jealous my friend, it is quite an experience! DEFINITELY NOT your typical magic conference. Very workshop oriented, intimate experience with both Jeff & Eugene as well as the other Magi, and steeped in magic roots as we share some events (A ball and an all-night drumming) with a wonderful Magick group. Sorry you won't be able to make it. It was a fantastic group of Magi from all over last year and I'm sure it will be the same. Perhaps we'll see you next year!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Need controlled smoke/mist for effect - What's your favorite? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL