The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Long salt pour gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Marty,

Thanks for the offer!

I have seen Cellini, and his gimmick is simple and very effective especially the way he uses a l**p to manipulate it!
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Com'on, just what every magician needs--a condom that breaks easily! And since my surgery about eight years ago, how will I explain that purchase to my wife? Smile

Any reason for using a condom and not a small balloon? (No balloon size jokes-it would be too easy.) HUGE THANKS TO MARTY-CAN'T WAIT TO GET THAT ENVELOPE! A big thanks to everybody.

David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Marty: Many thanks, mss arrived today, quick glance, well done. Great... again thanks.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Pete;
Glad you liked it.
All the Best
Marty
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Hello all, for those of you who do not want to spend money sending Martini the SASE do what I did. Just go to his house and sit pestering him for about an hour saying over and over "teach me the salt pour, teach me the salt pour". He will reluctantly give in to stop his ears from bleeding. PM me for his address and directions (JUST KIDDING). Thanks for all your help Marty and have fun in Vegas.

Jeff
La Roque
View Profile
New user
Brazil
2 Posts

Profile of La Roque
Hi Martini
I'm a magician from Brazil.
I would like to receive the instruction and illustrations with details on making the gimmick of "Long Salt Pour".
How do I make it?
Thanks,
La Roque
laroquemagic@yahoo.com.br
Pierot
View Profile
New user
Everywhere and nowhere
10 Posts

Profile of Pierot
Mr. Martini,

Reading you post about the long pour gimmick, you mention that the handling is based on a routine from the great Garcia, I was wondering what routine you are referring to exactly?

I have always though that the salt vanish is a thing of beauty; direct magic capable of eliciting strong reactions when performed well. I played around with the Chanin routine for a while but really only got into the effect when I stumbled upon “A tribute to Paul Draylin – A little Salt Goes a Long Way” in ‘The close-up magic of Frank Garcia Part 2 book”. Is this the method that Frank Garcia actually used and showed to you?

The book is full of great material (I wish I also had Part 1…) but the salt effect was my best find (along with ‘Watch Look and Listen’ and the Cellini Stuff). I have been performing it almost exactly as described (also using the silk for the reproduction…) for a few years now in most performance conditions. I think the handling is really clean and elegant, more salt can be used than with a normal tt steal and it completely avoids the horrible tt ‘thump poking’ which is sometime seen.

The only thing I have added is a long salt pour at the end… I have been playing with some conventional and not-so-conventional long salt pour approaches recently. Thus I am rather intrigued by your method, following the positive feedback from this thread. You may be receiving a SASE from 'down under' shortly, if your generous offer is still open. Like all of us magi, I am always seeking holy grails… like Don Quichotte with windmills…

Regards,

Pierre
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Hello Mr. Pierre;
This is Charles, one of Marty's sons responding.
Mr.Frank was a constant guest at our house many times, I well remember him trying to teach me the shell game when I was about 10, oh if I only listened and paid attention back then.
A little salt goes a long way is the routine Dad was taught. His handling now involves doing away with the silk and using the same move to tip the gimmick into the bare fist to then do a barehanded salt pour.
I do believe that is the part that is throwing magicians off as they are looking for a gimmick in the hand when it is long gone before the salt starts to flow. Dad used to teach this in his lectures with Mr. Franks permission. This is also the material that is available in Dad's offer here, the full routine and illustrations for A little Salt goes a Long Way, then the way Dad closes with the free-pouring salt from the bare hand.
I will be sure to print out your post for Dad so he can respond to answer any questions you may have when he returns. Our family has quite a few of Mr. Franks personal props, A set of his real walnut shells,(unfortunately the pea has deteriorated), A set of Mr. Franks cups, an old wand of his, several decks of his cards, some gaffs that Dad made for him over the years, and some various gambling items that only He & Dad knew anything about.
Dad is going to build a large shadow box and put all of this into it for the living room wall, Hopefully I can get him to take a picture and post it as there are a lot of Frank Garcia fans out there who might like to see some of these things.
It's been great, but I gotta run I've got a date!

Opps! forgot to mention why I was responding instead of Dad.
Dad & Mom are off to Las Vegas for a week and...........Charles in in Charge! lol.

Charles
Pierot
View Profile
New user
Everywhere and nowhere
10 Posts

Profile of Pierot
Charles,

Cheers for the great reply. I'm sure you got to see and learn a lot of good magic when you were growing up, lucky man!

The salt pour... This is all very interesting indeed. I guess I hit the proverbial nail on the head kind of by accident, although I was not expecting the use of the wonderful Draylin reproduction "move" to load a long pour. Why didn't I think of that!? Smile

Well, I will still be writing to your father because there are few things I enjoy more than collecting original magic ideas, notes and manuscripts, and putting them into practice in my performance world. I am sure that your father's addition is worthy of study. ...and of course this open forum is not the place to go in any further details.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Pierre

--------------
PS
People, you are feeling tired, your eyes are heavy... you will now forget all about salt, routines or anything to do with this thread, and go to sleep. Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7431 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Marty,
I just wanted to thank you for sending along the salt pour manuscript. Frank was a great performer that could really sell an effect.

Some ideas that may work into my pour routine should I start doing it again.

Thanks again.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Steve Oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Churchville,MD.
155 Posts

Profile of Steve Oxford
Yo Baby, Yo Baby!
If you ever get the chance to spend some time with Marty, do so! Even while he is fighting a cold, he sat down and taught me some things I was having problems with for over 3 hours. A very helpful and great guy.
Maybe if enough of us keep at him, we can get him to come back to the Café.
S.
Pierot
View Profile
New user
Everywhere and nowhere
10 Posts

Profile of Pierot
Thank you very much Mr. Marty

The manuscript has been received and was a joy to read. More is said in my 'snail mail'correspondence to you.

Best Regards,

P
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Marty's manuscript is excellent! Fooling around this morning with some Nielsen props, I got to looking at the bladder he sells for pouring liquid out of one of his vanishing bottles. Hmm.......Stronger than a condom or balloon, perfectly round ball, just cut the neck off so it isn't so long, sounds like a great long salt pour gimmick to me. (For the version where a TT vanishes it, and then the salt just keeps pouring and pouring-anybody else try this before?
David
dannydaniels
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of dannydaniels
The evolution of magic and marketing!!! I gave out $300 plus another $50 dollars in customs to get the Kosak salt pour, and now Pete's going to market the Paul Fox one, and then I stumble across this thread!!! Oh, the heck with it... I'll collect them all, and am not disappointed nor sorry with my investment. Kosak's pour is great! Marty, I live over here in Deutschland, how can I get your manuscript? Can't send you any stamps!
I'm not confused... I just don't know yet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Long salt pour gimmick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL