The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless Mics... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11512 Posts

Profile of John C
I have had every wireless lavelier (lapel) mic from Radio Shack to a Samsung and I've tried all the Shure mics in a music store. I could never get a great booming sound from any of them. Finally I gave up and got a wireless handheld mic that works ok. But I am still mystified as to why I can't get the great sound from the lapel mic.

I use a Peavy SOLO amp. It's kind of wimpy, but at home here I have a crown amp that I plug into to test and I can't get any good loud sound from that either.

Yesterday I was in Ft. Lauderdale, and in the hotel's outside area there was a magician. He had a great sound system that included a wireless lapel mic. He had one speaker on a stand.

The volume he got was like he was using a handheld mic and speaking directly into it. It was great.

Does anyone know what the trick is to getting that kind of sound from a wireless lapel mic? I mean, to get it to sound like you're talking directly into a handheld mic, or, directly into the lapel mic for that matter?

Thanks for any advice.

John

PS: A little later today I am going to call the magician I saw (got his card of course) and ask him to let me in on the secret!
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
I know a guy who uses this system

http://music1online.com/senewdualwir4.html

It costs 4 grand but the sound is unbeatable!
It's crystal clear and picks up zero feedback. It filters all local noise without diminishing the speakers audio. It kicks... but it's expensive.
Jay Buchanan
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11512 Posts

Profile of John C
Quite expensive... you are correct. This guy I saw the other day had one speaker on a stand and a Lavalier mic on his lapel. That was it. It produced a great sound. I called him today but he was away. I'll talk to him tomorrow and see what kind of equipment it was.

Thanks,

John
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
It sounds like you may have an impedance mismatch.

Check the specs for both your microphone and your amp for impedance. A good microphone should have an impedance of 50 ohms. For maximum efficiency the input of your amp should also be 50 ohms.

What kind of connector does your mike have? If it has a three prong connector it is probably 50 ohms.

I don't know if that's your problem but if it is, it is not too hard to remedy.

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
What type of mixer and equalization are you running the mic through? That may hold most of the answer.

That aside, my personal recommendation of choice, coming from my experience as a sound designer/engineer for musicals and such, is to use a Sennheiser Evolution transmitter (either the 100, 300, or 500 will do, depending on your budget and what frills you need/want) paired with either a Sennheiser MKE-2 or a Countryman B3 element (the B6 will do nicely, too, but you probably don't need one that small, and you'll get slightly better sound out of the larger diaphragm on the B3). DPA also makes a good one that a lot of engineers I know swear by, but I can't recall the model offhand.

Don't expect to get the same sound as you would from a handheld, though, it's not possible. With a good system setup, and especially with a good engineer doing a live mix, you can come close, but with such a difference in diaphragm size, you'll never get the same low-end.

--Andy (mentalist/sound engineer)
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11512 Posts

Profile of John C
Sounds good, though, maybe too good for me. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and I have spent my share of $$ in magic.

This guy I saw last week had one speaker, a yamaha, and an amp. I called him yesterday, he said he uses nothing special, although he didn't know what kind of amp he had. He said that he bought the shure lapel mic used for 75$. I know that he had a pretty booming sound. Matter of fact I am going to go and see him again next week to make sure I wasn't hallucinating (horrible spelling, I know). Then I'll be able to see exactly what he uses.

Thanks I'll let everyone know what I find out!

John Cesta
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
You'd be surprised how inexpensive the Senn. Evo. 100's are; they're a real bargain for the quality you get, and Sennheisers are used on alot of big shows nowadays. The fancier elements I mentioned will cost a bit more, but even with the standard element it's not bad, and if you can get one of the others, it's well worth it. You can always get the stock element to start and upgrade to another later on.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6046 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Check out:
Miniature Microphone Boom (black) for use with 4066 Miniature Microphone Headband. by typing in "DPA Mic" in a search engine. Ken Scott used this one at a the Kidabra Conference convention with the Show Teck syatem and it was great.

I think it cost about $400.00.
Dennis Michael
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Yup, the DPA 406_ series is what I was referring to--thanks, Dennis! There are two to check out, the 4060, which is a lavalier, and the 4066 Dennis mentioned, which is a boom with a detachable headband (the boom is sometimes used in other sound applications without the band that are of no concern to our needs :o)

BTW, if you're looking for a headset (which, if it works with your show/character, I highly recommend for better sound), also check out the Countryman Isomax headset and earset. The headset has an integral headset (it's not an attachment like the DPA) and a telescoping boom, and comes in multiple colors including flesh tone (the DPA comes in flesh and black, too, BTW). It has a larger element on the end than the DPA, but it's not as large as a rock singer's would be.

The earset uses a tiny element (same as either the B3 or B6 lavalier, not sure which) that just clips to the ear, rather than going around the back of the head. It's the smallest, and in fleshtone is nearly invisible from a distance. It also has the convenient feature that the cable can detach from the earpiece, making it easier to thread the cable under your costume and to take the mic off after a show before "meeting and greeting" without having to unthread the cable and take off the transmitter.

--A
Magic74Josh
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
101 Posts

Profile of Magic74Josh
I have a SHURE UHF Series headset microphone, that is wireless. I also have a hand held, and lapel, all from the same series but working on different frequency's so that they do not end up conflicting with one another. Out of the 3-4 years I have been using them, I never got a nice sound from a lapel mic, it is so far away from where sound comes out, how could it. However, from the Headset I get a crystal clear sound, a sound typicak only of handheld mics, but without the hassle. I have also found that a headset is much easier when doing quick costume changes. It's just like a headband (ONLY MUCH MORE COMFY!)
Magically Yours,
Magic74Josh
Magic7Josh@aol.com
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
You can get a great sound out of a lavalier mic on the lapel, although it's far from the most ideal location (the best for them is mounted centered on the forehead with elastic and/or medical adhesive, second best is mounted over the ear/on a pair of glasses). You just need a good quality mic, a good quality tx/rx setup, and a good engineer mixing it.

Yes, on a good headset you'll get stronger sound (not necessarily better) more easily, but don't write off a lav, as if used properly they can be great. Otherwise theatrical engineers like I am wouldn't use them all the time in big musicals and get such good results.
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Hi

You can adjust the "gain" either (both) inside the mic/lav-body pack or the receiver as well has a gain on the rear.

Each location I go to I adjust both gains.

You need to go thru a board to a 400 watt amp to get a good sound. You need to set the hi-mid-low EQ on the board.

This should clear up the problem.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Zigmont, you're right that the gain could be causing those problems, and thank you for bringing it up, as I hadn't thought to point that out in my rush to reply :o) I just want to clarify some other inaccurate/less than ideal advice you gave here.

Quote:
You can adjust the "gain" either (both) inside the mic/lav-body pack or the receiver as well has a gain on the rear.

Each location I go to I adjust both gains.

The gain on a mic transmitter should be set once and left as is to provide optimal sound for that element and receiver pair, as should the one on the receiver.

The only gain that should be adjusted in the venue is the gain on the input channel of the mixer (sometimes labeled as "trim"), which should be aligned so that the signal stays around the Unity mark on the channel. Doing otherwise will either cause either noise or distortion, both of which will negatively affect the sound quality.

Quote:
You need to go thru a board to a 400 watt amp to get a good sound.

Not quite. The wattage needs vary greatly depending on the size of the audience and the venue, what speakers you're using, how many speakers you're using hooked up to how many amps, etc. There is NO way to just throw out a number such as 400 W as being a "magic number" that will always work, and anybody who tells you otherwise is misinformed. In some venues, 150 watts will do the job, in others, you need many more than 400. There's no one answer, and it takes a knowlegeable professional to make an adequate decision on what will work best in a given situation.
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
My 400 watt magic number is min requirement that I found to get good results as you can always turn it down. Yes you could use more.

You really don't want to use all the wattage you have. You won't want to use 125 watts in a 150 watt amp.

You don't want to dail up (# 9) on the level, you want to be somewhere mid level (#5).

It's a good start if your having problems.

I adjusted the mic gain on units having problems with good results in the past. Again we talking about people that are having trouble and need to fix a problem. The gain could tweak the performance.

So I just told what works for me. I rent a sound system on each show or traveling tour that we do and over 10 years and found these thing to work for me. Right now I am using a crown microtech 1200 amp (480.00 watts 4 ohms) and for larger venues I use an amp per side. So I guess you can see where I got the numbers from.

Just trying to help out.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1825 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Zigmont is right about having more power. I also second the motion on microtechs. The system we have owned for close to 2 years includes 2 microtechs. Those can take a beating and have proved themselves around the world. They each power 1 sub and 1 main, both from Klipsch. I can rattle the fillings right out of your teeth with the bass from our 4 18" subs. With the opening video that we use to start the show, the music builds and builds then literally erupts right into the show. Do not overlook sound if you want to emotionally charge the audience.

Kevin
http://www.livingillusions.com
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Kevin

Nothing but the best for you...
Crown ... Klipsch ... Subs ... very cool and heavy as h*** too!
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1825 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Zigmont, The system was used by one of the top writers in Christian and Jazz music out of Atlanta. He's a good friend of ours and it was designed for him. It was made for an artist singing to tracks. Which is basically what magicians do. So the sound is great for us and like I said TONS of bass ... and you are soooo correct. The subs are not too terribly heavy ... but the large mains ... man are they heavy ... and as you know, the subs should be on the bottom, so up go the mains everytime. Man, I love roadies. Smile

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I've done web searches on the DPA products and the 4066-F looks like what I want. But I can't find a price, nor can I find a place on the web to buy it (other than the DPA site, but they want my credit card info before I find out how much it is - no way). Does anyone know where to get these?

Thanks,

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
11512 Posts

Profile of John C
Andy,

I have been looking at the following:

"Crate TX50DBE
NEW for 2002 are the TXE's, our most portable and compact battery powered system, the TXB50E Bass Bus, plus the NEW portable molded enclosures for the rest of the Taxi & Limo models. These new enclosures have enhanced bass response, and are lighter and more transportable than ever before!"

What do you think about this unit? Have you used them? Heard of them? There are a ton of very useful features.

Our local music store, MARS Music, is going bust and they are selling everything in the store. They have one of these units.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

John Cesta
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I recently used a Samson Airlight headset wireless mic. I loved it! It is completely self-contained within the headset; there is no belt transmitter or wires to deal with. It's UHF with tons of channels available. The sound was great and with a little adjustment, it was very comfortable to wear. Check it out.
Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless Mics... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL