The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Improved Scotty York Lamp (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

algebraic
View Profile
Special user
920 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Does anyone have a review on this effect? A spectator's card is located by a light bulb illuminating in the spectator's hand.

How well does this effect work? Does the bulb illuminate brightly or dimly? Does this run on batteries or does a new bulb need to be purchased? Are replacement bulbs available or do you need to purchase a whole new effect? Reliability of effect? Thank you!
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
The latest model of this item is pretty reliable. I have it and it works great.

It does use batteries which are replaceable (not rechargeable,) and can be easily found. I even found them in Walgreen's.

If the batteries are good, it lights very brightly. It is a frosted bulb, so it's a "ball of light," but it's pretty bright. The VERY old original from Harold had the milk white globe and those lighted much better because the light was even all over the surface rather than just a ball in the center. But, it's still very effective as it is.

To me (and I think Scott York would disagree since his original model didn't do this,) the real charm of this effect is "turning the bulb off." With the German version sold by Joe Stevens, which is the one I presume you are talking about, you have the spectator hold the bulb in one hand and the end of an "invisible" electric cord in the other. Then you take a pair of scissors and snip the invisible cord and the light goes out. It looks GREAT. And, it happens entirely in the spectator's hands.

The older versions from Harold Voit (who makes the model Joe sells,) used to go back on all by themselves, which was both annoying and embarrassing. The new models do not do this. You just snip the scissors and the bulb goes off.

If you know the original Bob Ostin "Beam Shot," from Ken Brooke (which everybody and their uncle pirated in the 70's,) then you know how this works only it entirely eliminates the flashlight and reduces it down to just a bulb which is a lot more magical.

It's a great effect. I don't know that signing the bulb and giving it as a souvenir adds all that much to it, but it is a nice touch. You won't be disappointed with it.
Magicman862
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincy, OH
385 Posts

Profile of Magicman862
Where can this be found?
thanks,
paul
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
920 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I found this effect in Steven's Magic Emporium new products magalog. The wedsite is http://www.stevensmagic.com The phone number is 316-683-9582 Wichita, KS
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have on of York's prototype bulbs, an old (broken Ken Brookek version) and another somewhere, but do not have the new version. The new version was devised by Robert Swadling and the first that used it was Fred Kaps. When the scissors bit is used it is a mind blower.

Kaps had a nice handling. He put the bulb in a white silk handkerchief (probably a Slydini silk) and it illuminted the whole handkerchief, and the bulb hanging in there seemed like there was no way you could manipulate it, turn it on or off.

One great item and well worth it IF YOU USE IT. It is very usable.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2203 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Anyone know what one of these would sell for? I have one and may consider selling it.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Look up the price on http://www.stevensmagic.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Another alternative is to track down a copy of Scotty's book, For Your Eyes Only. It contains detailed instructions for building your own bulb.(That's what I did.) It uses the standard 7 1/2 watt night light bulbs available anywhere in the US, so you can do the give-away at the end. This is the bulb Scotty really uses and use to sell for $225.00. That may sound expensive, but after making your own you'll realize it's a bargain! The construction is quite involved and the various materials are difficult to accumulate, but there is something very satisfying about constructing and performing with your own bulb. Plus, if something goes wrong with it, you can fix it yourself, having built it from scratch.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I think the "scissor-gag" was an original idea of Dick Koornwinder!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
adomac
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of adomac
I bought one of the original bulbs off Ken Brooke who was my teacher at the time; eventually it stopped taking a charge. I never used the scissors routine since (a) you have to carry a pair of scissors, and (b) it struck me as rather laboured to do, and unnatural to talk about invisible wires in order to justify the introduction of a pair of scissors. I 'blow' it out, as Ken taught me. That looks completely normal and logical, yet in the circumstances magical - in fact far more so than scissors which scream of 'prop'. This new Tenyo bulb is excellent and I will continue to 'blow' it out - even easier these days with PK rings . . .
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1128 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Can the gimmick be transferred into another (standard) deck of cards? Not a big fan of the cards supplied. I have the original York instructions so I'm familiar with the method and as I work in a bar environment, I suspect this would play great.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1908 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Since the gimmick is basically a mXXXXX I was planning to buy a very flat and strong one and make my own much flatter 'gimmick' ... . I sent you a pm.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10391 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Jan Forster had some comments regarding these ideas and how he uses it on some other threads here...
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
adomac
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of adomac
Ken's version had a small flat gimmick and you stuck two cards together (one being a Koornwider Card) with the gimmick in the middle. This made, if handled properly, apparently a single card gimmick. Get yourself a powerful enough small flat gimmick and you can do the same.

You can also wear a PK ring to "blow" it out. A PK ring also allows you to turn it on and off at will in your hand, so you can use it as a lie-detector. Force a known card, then have the spectator lie or tell the truth as you ask for colour, suit, high or low value etc with the bulb lighting each time he tells a lie (whereupon you "blow" it out and move on to the next question) until you arrive at the correct card, which is turned over to show you were right. This is a new idea of mine and it works perfectly. Just practise turning the bulb on and "blowing' it out until the tiny required movement in undetectable. A larger movement of the hand completely hides the small movement of the bulb.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Improved Scotty York Lamp (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL