We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Free Bouncy Castle!!!??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Some of you may remember that I purchased a bouncy castle to include with my children's shows. I haven't had too many bookings - mainly because I've only just got the advertising sorted out and my revamped web site is not quite finished - but also because the weather has been awful.
We've just got our new Yellow Pages delivered - and some guy is offering a FREE Bouncy Castle for under 8s parties. Now I don't know if there is some catch (i'll have to give him a ring) but how can you compete with that?!!
Mark
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I wouldn't worry Mark,
1, it's probably only a small one,
and 2, if he has to do that to drum up business he must be rubbish.

People will go for it, end up being dissapointed and word will spread that it's a waste of time & money.

Your reputation as a top class entertainer will win over any cheap gimmick anyday.

Are you going to the Kidology convention in September?
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Might take the day of school for that, don't fancy the Ian adair lecture, rather watch paint dry than watch that awful guy.
Matt
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Ian Adair did great service when he was with Edwin at Supreme Magic years ago Matt. I've only ever spoken to him over the phone myself. I think he's a guy who has given a lot to Magic.

Mark, we have had entertainers in our location offering free room decoration, a prize draw to win bicycles, bouncy castles, endless prizes of varying value. We've seen them come (and go). Sounds to me like this one probably can't cope with entertaining for too long due to limited ability - so the castle fills in the time maybe. Excellent entertainers with excellent programmes just ride over the top of all of these.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
He's a theif! I'm still waiting for 4 magazines he owes me and two other people. IMHO His dove video is an embarresment to dove magicians.
Matt

Mark ring him and see what the deal is.
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Sorry to go off topic here Mark, but when I started setting up my childrens shows earlier this year I bought a die box called the comedy clock from a retired entertainer near me.

I struggled to find a routine I was happy with after much help from you guys on this forum. I then wrote to Ian Adair as the comedy clock was an old Supreme Magic trick, my five page reply came back two days later with his full routine and patter for the effect and authority to let me use it. He still uses the same effect on a regular basis.

In my eyes he is not a "thief" but a true gent and I for one cannot wait to meet him and thank him for his assistance.

Stu Di Doo

Sorry Mark, but I agree with Clive on this one, sounds gimmicky and the strength of your show should win through!

Best of luck

Stu Di Doo
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Ian is a true gentleman, and an amazing Innovator and Author of magic.

His Dove Encyclopaedias, and many of his publications take pride of place on my bookshelf, and several of his routines feature strongly in my kid’s shows.

If I was living in England, I would make every effort possible to see him lecture.

-malini.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Ok that was my opinion. But you guy are intitled to your own aswell. He ripped me off with magazines his dove video is very poor, ok their ae a few hidden jems in Dove encylopedia, but not many.
Does anybody agree that the instructons that Edwin and Adair wrote are unuseable these days? Also I think that it wasn't really Adair that plyed much of a part in supreme as Edwin WAS the driving force and the wit behind it. But again that is my opinion.
Very nice of him to send you instrutions. But he not like that to everyone. (maybe he just don't like kids lol)
Matt
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Magic_matt wrote:
"Does anybody agree that the instructons that Edwin and Adair wrote are unuseable these days?"

I'm sure the "instructons" work just as well now, as they did back then. Supreme Magic's Instructions were pretty well thought out and detailed.

If you're talking about the suggested patter and routines, however... It's just that... suggested.
No one should be using the stock patter and lines included in a purchased effect. Let alone one from 30-40 years ago.

We must strive for originality, otherwise what would we have? Every magician presenting exactly the same effect, with exactly the same routine, with exactly the same gags, and with exactly the same reactions.

I guess I’m not the least bit surprised why magic seems to remain stagnant.

Times are a-changing.

-malini.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Mark,
The Early Learning centre and places like that sell an inflatable plastic "Bouncy castle" for about £20. If this is what he's offering I wouldn't really worry about it, the children will be quick to point out that it's not a real one.
If it's a proper bouncy castle then it sounds like he must have a pretty weak act to have to lug a bouncy castle around to get bookings.
On the other hand though...I suppose he might have a great show and he's offering this to get his name out there quickly in his first year of business and then he'll drop the offer once people know about his show...I wouldn't bet on it though.

Matt,I understand you're disappointed about not recieving your magazines but you can't go around calling respected magicians thieves. There are many reasons that your magazine could have been delayed or the order lost but robbing a 15 year old magician of a couple of quid isn't likely to be one of them. When I was your age I called up Supreme with a vague idea of a routine I wanted to do they put me through to Ian who was very patient and understanding. He listened to me and told me exactly what I wanted. The props he recommended are still in my act today and are one of the highlights of my show.
See you guys on the 6th Smile

George
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I wouldn't call Ian a thief, even though supreme went bust owing me 6 months subscriptions to the Magigram. He is a very experienced kids magician and magic inventor, anyone new to the business could learn a lot from him. But I would say I find his material very old fashioned and boring. Any trick bought from him would require the routine to be totally re-written to suit todays kids. (I never use a routine that comes witrh a trick anyway, but I knbow some people do)He's lecturing at the Kidology convention, it will be interesting to see if he's updated his stuff.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
magic559
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of magic559
It might now be tough to upsell to your bouncy if they are price shopping from the yellow pages, but I don't you will lose performing business because of what this guy is doing, just a hunch though.
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
This kind of surprizes me as I have read that the insurance for the bounce house is hard to find and pricey.
Is that information wrong? I see kids getting hurt in them often heads banged into faces. Kicked in the face that kind of thing. The face and head bleed very heavy it causes quite a stir.
Jewls
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Just to get things into perspective here Mark. We've been in Yellow Pages since October 1981. If we took everything we read in new editions (which are now delivered early August) as serious competition then we'd not sleep at nights. The current trend in our area is people who are (a) wanting to cream off girls birthdays parties (b) nonsensical ideas at nonsensical prices. As I say above, - any long standing entertainer will just accept this as just another passing transient idea. Jewls has an excellent point here over insurance, and really Mark, having trodden the bouncy castle path myself I cannot understand why you have not sold yours on by now.

Now regarding Ian Adair. Over my past two years in this Café I've mentioned almost every dislike I have in this business, whether people or general trends, attitudes etc. The one thing I've not done however is pin any names to anything I've written. I think this is the secret of expressing views over the Internet, and especially in this highly respected and civilised Forum.

I first came into contact with Supreme Magic around Summer 1978 and to be quite honest it was 'Magic' and it was 'Supreme'. The staff were the legendary Edwin, Ian, and I think Edwin's son (Michael?) played a part in the business. I instantly recognised then that some publications and scripts were from the 1950s. The Van Dyke Balloon Modelling Publications were almost pre-war music hall in the suggested jokes and patter. But yet it was still an excellent tutorial. Catalogues contained artistes impressions of apparatus as opposed to the usual photos these days. But yet everything was excellent quality and usually useable (except obviously the patter!). After Edwin's sad (relatively young) death to cancer, I know that his son tried to continue the re-launched Magic business (remember, the original Supreme was sold off earlier). I was not aware that Ian was involved in any such venture, but by your postings I guess this must have been so.

Tony.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2004-08-28 23:08, Jewls wrote:
This kind of surprizes me as I have read that the insurance for the bounce house is hard to find and pricey.
Is that information wrong?

No, it's not wrong, Jewls. Over here in the UK, as far as I am aware there are just 2 insurance companies offering PL insurance on inflatables (and a few months ago there was only 1). So far this year (and the season is nearly finished) I have only made a negligible profit once you take away the insurance - but that is partly my own fault because I had not got the advertising sorted out.

Ace, I have to give the Bouncy Castle idea a fair go. I have had serious doubts if it was a very good idea - but I've got it now and I have to do my best to make it work.

Mark
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I always thougt supeme were a good company and very popular so why did they go bankrupt?
Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Free Bouncy Castle!!!??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL