We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Murder Inc. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AMAZING BALDO
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of AMAZING BALDO
Does anybody do Murder Inc for kids shows? What age is right for this effect?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I was thinking of purchasing this effect from Magic Auction at one point, but I decided against it for that very concern. If the kids believe the effect, it could scare them half to death. If they think it's just a game, they might start playing with knives. As nice as the effect looked, it seemed to be a no-win situation unless I started doing more shows for teenagers and adults.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Many, many, many years ago I bought a used dagger head chest. I sold it after a few shows. While it seemed like some students (and only some) got a thrill from the effect, there was too much negative feedback from the teachers / principals / parents.

And they book the shows!

You will find there are varied opinions on the use of danger magic in kids / family shows. Most believe that it should not be done for children younger than 7 or 8, and even with older groups, it takes wisdom to know when.

There's a few threads on danger magic in this area of the Café. Take a peek at "The little darlings" index to help you find them. The index is the thread "pinned" to the top of this area.

- Donald.

P.S. It might also help you to read this thread in the "Grand Illusion" section: Magic Café thread... Illusions Without Mutilation/Danger.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
AMAZING BALDO
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of AMAZING BALDO
To look at it it looks good, but I agree that I wouldn't want to make the parents mad or have the kids try it on their own.
I think my money is better spent.
Thanks for the help.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
On occassion, I have performed Sword Thru NEck (with Gene Gordon's routine) and also the arm chopper for teenagers. They always go over well, but you need to slant the presentation heavily towards comedy and I think most older kids realise they can't or shouldn't reproduce the effect themselves. However, 'if in doubt, leave it out' adage is best.

I'm looking into purchasing the new Balloon Sword thru Head (similar to Dagger Chest and Arrowhead - see Ginn's book Professional Magic for Children for a great routine!) using 260Q balloon swords! Has anyone bought this and can give me any reviews on this prop? It's advertised on Hocus Pocus site.
sarcophilus
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
195 Posts

Profile of sarcophilus
I have also just started thinking about getting the Balloon Sword thru Head. I had used the standard dagger chest in the past but I don't like using it for the younger kids. I would love to find a good review for this...
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
434 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I have a bolloon through head trcik I will sell for 150.00 plus shippng.
I liked it because after I did it I could hand out 8 balloons to the kids.I just don't ever use it,thats why I would sell it.
PM me if interseted
Shawn D
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Seems like a lot of people are interested in the balloon sword thru head: perhaps Shawn D can post us a review as he is eager to sell and there must be some eager potential buyers too!

Another effect I have used is the Mickey Hades Examinable Finger Chopper and a funny routine that I got off an old book titled Chopper Gags and Routines (obtainable from Lee Jacobs I think!)
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Magic Café thread... Air head deluxe vs. balloon head?

May not be the only thread out there, but is a recent one.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
I saw a balloon dagger chest in Tilford Magic. I think that would be great subsitute to the real dagger chest.

I believe that we kids entertainer, we have a responsibility to ensure that our kids are well-taught, event if it is purely entertainment.

You see, younger kids are not smart enough to know what is right and wrong. Older kids may understand that they cannot use the knife in their kitchen but the younger kids may want to try it out because it's MAGIC TO THEM!

For me, I'll never want to use fire, daggers, choppers in my show UNLESS I can develop the right routine that is safe for everyone.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Murder Inc. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL