We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Its our destiny! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Just a few questions for everyone to mull over...

When did you all decide entertaining children was your vocation?

What attracted you to magic, balloons, etc?

For the full-timers - what made you take the plunge to go full time? Was that the ambition from childhood or did you take up a "regular" (and I use the term loosely!) job and give this up to entertain full time?

Lets all hear what drives you!

Stu Di Doo
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I'd always enjoyed magic, and knew a few tricks which kept me in beer in dodgy bars around the world, in 1993 I was on HMS Brilliant and there was a hobbiest magician on there who rekindled my interest. I started buying/learning new stuff and used to do tricks for the kids when they were playing with my daughters.

One day a nieghbour asked me if I could do something for her friends kids birthday party. I put a show together, did it for free and found I had a talent for it. Eventually I put a small ad in yellow pages and the business gradually built up. I tried the adult route as well, but found I enjoyed the kids more. so stopped taking bookings for Adult gigs.

I didn't always intend to go full time when I left the navy, but while doing my resettlement courses and looking for a job to do when I left, I realised if I had a real job and the magic, then one would inevitably interfere with the other.

My last 18 months were spent in the maintenance base in Plymouth and I was able to do shows most weekends, the business grew to the point where I was turning away a lot of work which I couldn't do due to naval committments. Luckily I had about 3-4 months leave owed so I put it all together and left the navy in February and still got paid by them until June. This gave me the cushion to try magic full time. Once my diary was free from restrictions work just poured in and I've never looked back.

I know there are people out there who are very successful magical entertainers, and work for a living as well, but personally I would hate to have a real job it would interfere with my golf. I love the freedom of being my own boss, I chose when, where and how long I work, I don't have to look at my real job commitments before I take a booking, and when all my nieghbours are scraping the ice off their cars to go to work at the crack of yesterday I'm still in bed nice and warm.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
For me, I've just never done anything else!

School and university were just diversions keeping me from doing this!

25 years old, full time magician and loving it!
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I guess for me I got my start performing at my local YMCA and doing shows in tandem with the Salvation Army at Vietnamese Refugee Camps (in early '80s) in HK. Then calls came in to book me for birthdays - and the first one I did was for the kid of my history teacher. I was 18 at the time and remember getting most of my act from George B Anderson's Magic Digest; MArk Wilson's Course and some selected Tenyo items - In the News, Sponge Rabbits (called Mr. Rabbit - it consisted of 4 small sponge bunnies and a ball to jumbo bunny).

Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce down my personal memory lane!

Do any other members recall the content of their first shows? How many tricks are still being used by them today?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
A Clown pushed me forward into the big open world of magic, after I got a magic set from Mr daniels. I did my first show about 5 years ago and I got paid I think £10, the best £10 I had ever earnt. I did lots of shows cheap but then again I didn't have very good equptment. Two years later I have enough kids show magic to go on for hours. Ballooning came from a quy name Dave the balloon man that worked in wacky warehouse, I used to go to their mainly to se him he taught ll the basics and was a great guy. I think he's retired now. Now I have maet somebody else who has started me off with circus skills and soon I will be doinmg a circus workshop and if that's not enough ive met a street entertainer that is helping me with my new street act.
Matt

By the way ive changed my site it http://www.mattcolman.co.uk
no more ads lol.
Matt
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
That reminds me...I learnt balloon modelling (and a lot about kidshows) from a British Army soldier stationed in HK in the early 1980s. He came from England and his name is Maurice Roberts. Does anyone know of his whereabouts?

This is developing into a post about kidshow magic mentors! Cool...any other contributors?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2122 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
That name rings a bell.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
I always wanted to perform magic full-time since young. But years later, I have been performing magic part-time for many years and working as a full-time IT (Information Technology) professional.

One day, I told myself, "FORGET IT! TIME TO PURSUE WHAT I LOVE!", and I throw my IT job away and jumped into magic, full-time. At that time, my son is only 5 months old and many of my friends called me crazy...

I went into kids/family entertainment because:
1) It is the biggest market in my country
2) I love performing for kids/families
3) I'm just not suitable for older group entertainment :>

Now I have been performing magic full-time for 5 years and I have never regretted. I still managed to feed my family and I do enjoy what I am doing now, to the envy of many of my friends who called me crazy...

Also, thanks for my good friend and illusionist, JC Sum, who has helped me in my initial years of my venture. Without his help, I might be back to my IT job today. :>

Lesson? Do have a respectable "mentor" whom you can trust and learn as much as you can from him.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Hi Magic matt,
Yes, Maurice Roberts was a very well-known entertainer before he came out to HK with the British Army and then I know he returned to UK in the mid 1980s after his stint was up. I'd really like to know his whereabouts and thank him for all the advice he gave me when starting off! He actually did a 5-7 min warmup routine with a balloon doggie which I still use till today and gave me his red suitcase table which I still have!

Any news of how to contact him from any UK based members will be deeply appreciated!

I guess mr. Roberts must be in his late 40s or early 50s by now. And I remember his balloon doggie routine was much earlier than Doc Hilford's video "20 mins with a balloon' - some of the balloon gags were similar but it was the routining of Maurice's that made it very kid-friendly. Also, in the mid-80s he was the only one in HK using balloon animals and blowing them up (as opposed to using any kind of pumps) I still prefere this method till today - unless I'm doing a fete or some event with a large number of children (over 100)
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
I'm an academic and an artist. To me magic is the last frontier: you can invent, create, embellish, bring illusion, joy, astonishment. Even though I am a much better artist than I am a magician, I love magic just as much as painting.

Magic like no other art combines invention, grace, illusion and theatre so beautifully. At least to me...

Painting of course combines at different combination and is just as loved.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
As I started this I suppose I should share my thoughts as well!

I have always been interested in magic, tricks, gags, etc but my upbringing was such that go to school, go to college, get a "decent job" was the way I had been told to go.

Since leaving college I have worked my way up the office career ladder, but becoming less happy with this as time has gone on. Since starting out commercially this year (on a part time basis) performing at kids parties, the job satisfaction and feel-good factor has come back into my life. I honestly feel this is the way for me to go and all efforts are now on increasing my business so that I can quit the day job and still manage to pay the bills from entertaining.

Long way to go still but at least I feel I now have direction!

Stu Di Doo
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Natural transition I suppose from being a Musician. I'd worked with Magical Entertainers and realised the potential. At first the two were going to be combined, - kids parties in the day, - play piano at night. However the full extent of "take-off" of a successful kids party business had not been taken into consideration and the piano playing seemed irrelevant after a while. Only 'real' job I've ever done (and that was 'shared' with my piano playing) was a newspaper printer, - Linotype op./compositor. Absolutely horrible, although great money! Lots of us have thus fulfilled our 'full time' status here Stu. I know of entertainers who've come from high earning jobs in computing, teaching, even Law. Many fall by the wayside as they are unsuited to being self employed or unable to cope. Hope your plans work out for you.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I am a full time police detective working graveyard shift. We have about 5-7 hrs of downtime per night.
I can catch up on all the business side of the shows during this time plus spend hours on the Café'

My job is about kids here also. We followup on missing persons cases and also process juvenile prisoners.

I'm free in the day to do the school shows, birthdays etc...

My nickel;)
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
It's interesting to hear from everyone's background.

Ace, I'm concerned about the "unsuited to being self employed" comment what do you mean? The paperwork or the uncertainty of a regular wage?

Nkthen, your story sounds great and it worked for you. I'm just curious over the "jumping into the deep end" part. When did you know to go full time? I assume you didn't have much of a financial cushion with a 5 month old son on the scene!!

Keep those thoughts coming in!

Stu Di Doo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Its our destiny! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL