The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » What these guys are really like (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
I am thinking about trying to meet a few of the magicians that I have admired or have influenced me over the years. My question is: Have any you met the following and what are they really like?
Penn Jillett
Teller
Ricky Jay
Daryl
Whit Hayden
I just don't want to make a huge effort to meet these people and find out that one on one they're awful or mean. If they're nice and like to meet fans I would move them to the top of the list. Thank You.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Like it is with meeting just about anyone, a lot depends on your approach, and your topic and manner of conversation.
CyberMage
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of CyberMage
I've met Whit Hayden at the 2001 Columbus Magi-Fest. He hung out in our room and we had a blast. Whit is a really nice guy. Easy to talk to, willing to share and very very skilled. I watched him do his 3 shell game and was in absolute awe.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Both Penn & Teller are very well-spoken, knowledgeable and colorful people. That being said, they are like day and night in their dealings with the general public.
Teller tends to be more open to general "hobnobbing" while Penn tends to be far more insular in his dealings.
I certainly wouldn't classify either as "...awful or mean..." but like all working pros they do spend a great deal of time on the road meeting new people and answering the same questions.
RCMag4 hit the nail on the head with his post. When P&T performed at the local university here, Teller was quite willing to come out in the community, even accepting dinner invitations.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I've met everyone, but Ricky.
Haven't spoken enough with Penn or Teller, but they are one of our clients and my partner has hung out with both many times. Both very intelligent, funny and more creative than you can imagine.
Daryl is on all the time, but he's extremely funny. Anything he demonstrates you want to buy. He puts a personal touch onto everything he does.
I've hung out with Whit more than any on the list because he's at the Castle a lot.
He's very funny and very forthcoming with ideas and suggestions. As a magician he will slay his audience. Try not to go on after him because you'll have to wait for all the laughter to die down.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
Thanks a lot so far. The whole reason for this particular thread is that I try to meet people that have influenced me as a person and thank them. Recently I've met a few "celebrity" Chefs and I was appalled by the way some of these guys talked to members of their own profession. Even if I did admire them previously I have no respect for them now. When this happens, you lose a little something for what you enjoy. If it happens enough, you don't want anything to do the art or the people. Magic means to much to me to have some egotistical hotshot ruin it. Not that I think any of these guys are that way, I just don't want to take that risk. Ignorance is bliss type thing.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
CyberMage
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of CyberMage
Quote:
On 2004-08-27 07:18, MinnesotaChef wrote:
Recently I've met a few "celebrity" Chefs and I was appalled by the way some of these guys talked to members of their own profession.
Unfortunately this happens in any profession, whether it be magic, culinary, industrial, etc. There are always going to be a few that are very VERY good at what they do and have the head size to match.

Quote:
Even if I did admire them previously I have no respect for them now. When this happens, you lose a little something for what you enjoy. If it happens enough, you don't want anything to do the art or the people. Magic means to much to me to have some egotistical hotshot ruin it. Not that I think any of these guys are that way, I just don't want to take that risk. Ignorance is bliss type thing.
I wouldn't let a few egotistical people spoil your passion for our art. In the grand scheme of things, it's just not worth it. In my experience, for every egotistical hotshot magician that is out there, there are 1000 more that are decent, hardworking, kind, and friendly.
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
Don't get me wrong, I like 85% of the people in this art. A slightly higher percentage than in cooking, but my concern is when you take that step up to "the Next Level" attitudes change. People start out loving something they do and when they get good enough at or market it effectively things change. They sometimes believe their own hype. Or hate what they do because it's not fun anymore, it's their job. In many cases these guys realize how lucky they are to be doing what they love professionally. They are a joy to meet and respark your love and excitment for your art. We all would like to think that the people we admire are of the latter kind. I just don't want to find out the hard way.
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Teller can talk? Smile
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Yep... in Latin even!
Dave Dorsett
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Quote:
On 2004-08-27 14:11, Dave Dorsett wrote:
Yep... in Latin even!

That is just bull ****.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
No, no, no...Bull**** is just the name of a television show! {i}Latin{i} is a language which, according to freepedia.com, Teller taught at Lawrence High School in Lawrenceville, New Jersey." BTW, also according to freepedia, "(Teller)is an expert on the history of magic. He had his name changed legally to Teller. He began his trademark of not speaking as a way of dealing with audience hecklers."
I understand the confusion- it's kind of like confusing George Reeves with Superman!
Dave Dorsett
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
Watch the A&E "Story of Magic" Teller actually narrates most of it! It's also a great documentary about the art.
KYTerry
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of KYTerry
Daryl is extremely friendly and very helpful if asked.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I find the bigger stars can be nicer than those "on the way up" who seem to have to prove how much better they are than us lowly part-time people.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
Quote:
On 2004-08-27 21:16, Dave Dorsett wrote:
No, no, no...Bull**** is just the name of a television show! {i}Latin{i} is a language which, according to freepedia.com, Teller taught at Lawrence High School in Lawrenceville, New Jersey." BTW, also according to freepedia, "(Teller)is an expert on the history of magic. He had his name changed legally to Teller. He began his trademark of not speaking as a way of dealing with audience hecklers."
I understand the confusion- it's kind of like confusing George Reeves with Superman!

Since Teller is his last name, it wasn't much of a stretch for him to change it legally.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
One of the most cordial and exciting Magician,s that I have had the pleasure to meet and really spend some time with was Daryl. Daryl in person is exactly what you see in performance, funny, informative and is more that happy to spend time with you not just give you an autograph and then brush you off.
Some of the most friendly Magician's that I have met were:
Daryl
Jami Swiss
Martin Nash
Gene Anderson (we had a mutual friend so we had lot's to talk about).
I have only met a very few Magician's who were not real friendly but sometimes they are in a rush to be somewhere or most likely are being overwhelmed by fans and I can only imagine how hectic that can be.
I have missed many oportunities to meet or get an autograph from a favorite Magician because they where overwhelmed or abviously going somewhere in a rush so I just didn't bother them. For three days at the LVMI 2003 I wanted to talk to Simon Lovell but he was so busy with other's that I declined to pester him anymore than he was. He was kind enough to sign some lecture notes that I purchased from him through the mail (and I didn't even ask him to) so I would have to add Mr. Lovell to the list of friendly Magician's even though I never met him.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Daryl is a very funny and personable guy. He likes to talk and sell. Smile I got to attend his masterclass in april. Anything you need help with, he is there for you.

I was at the convention a day prior to the masterclass, I was sitting outside practicing some card moves. I didn't know but Daryl was watching me from a nearby table and let me know what I was doing was very good. Kind of made my day. It was my 20th birthday too. Smile

The previous year at the same convention I finally met Whit Haydn. He is a good guy too. I could watch him sell to other customers forever. He is that good of a magician. His personality is just as friendly as his posts here at the Café. Hope I run into him again in the future.

Brian
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
733 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
They are all wonderfully gracious men
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
I haven't really seen any of them in person except for Daryl, and he just seemed like anyone else, a happy go lucky guy. He didn't seem like he was "above" anyone. I think he was walkin by and commented on my instant assemlby matrix or something. Seemed like a nice dude.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » What these guys are really like (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL