The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Having fun with a laundry basket (free B.O.B.) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I was searching for something to throw props into after use since I seem incapable of putting things neatly back into my roll-on as I use them. I found a laundry basket for kids (in woolworths) that folds flat, but springs up to look like a big lion (frogs where also available). I thought it might be fun.
After about a month of using it I'm absolutely amazed it's success. Honestly, I've added carefully crafted and thought-out routines to my show that were nowhere near as big a hit as this flaming laundry basket!
Pratically it's great: it folds up flat and fits easily into the back of my box. Also I've found with my table to my right and basket to the left having 2 largish objects helps clearly define the stage area.
Almost every time I use it I come across a new bit of business to do with it.
Here's some of the bit's of business I have so far:

• If you have to set-up with kids around the popping up of the lion looks magical in itself
  • All props get fed to the lion and after the first couple of tricks get put in there every time you have a prop to get rid of you can simply ask "I wonder what I should do with this?" and all the kids shout "Feed it to the lion!!"
  • The lion can nip you, bite you, chew your arm off (or I suppose, but havent tried this yet, swallow your whole upper torso)as you feed it.
  • You can put props in and flip them out as your arm goes in. This looks like the lion is rejecting the 'food'. Of course if you pretend not to see the objects flipping out you have another fun situation to play with.
  • The lions mouth can slowly open as you walk away. You need to modify your lion (not a big job; pair of nail scissors and one snip(ouch))but once you do you can adjust the mouth to open or stay shut whenever you want.(This was a completely accidental discovery: after a week of using it a small part of the fabric ripped, causing part of the bendy steel rod in the mouth to come out a little at the back, originally I was annoyed that it had broken but then when I was using it the next day I closed the mouth and walked away and the kids started going bonkers,I turned to find lions mouth open...)
  • The ears are on the top and tend to flop back. The great thing is that you can lean one forward and when you put the other one forward the first one automatically flops back. If you put both up they both flop back together. This is a nice follow up to "shut your mouth".."and hold those ears up straight".
  • Before too many props go in you can push down the whole basket slightly and when you let go the whole basket will jump towards you.
  • Any puppets or spring animals you use can be seen to get nervous as you approach the lion.

There we go, 10 minutes with a laundry basket by George. I hope someone else can have fun with it too.
I was getting such big reactions off the mouth opening the other day I could hardly believe it, I couldn't help looking up to the adults at the back,shrugging and mouthing "it's only a laundry basket" and they cracked up.
I had a toddler run up yesterday and stick his head in there. I got everyone to clap the brave toddler for being so courageous as to stick his head in the lions mouth .."as he goes back to his mum's lap because the lion might bite his nose next time". Which was great got a laugh, a clap for the young scamp and the message across to Mum (for at least.. ooh.. 4 minutes till she ran out of wine).
I have had one little upset though, in the first week of using it I hadn't really known what a big deal the lion was to the kids and thoughtlessly put Norman (Rocky) in there after I was finished and had one very concerned young 2 year-old led up to me after the show who was exceedingly worried about Norman.

Cheers George
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
George funnily enough I use something similar but it says jac the wizard and it has a picture of the wizard with his magic wand book of spells, etc. and that is a compressable laundry basket. I'd say to the birthday child I've brought my friend jac to show us all some real magic, and we look everywhere until we find he's not there but he's left his costume and his equiptment so I teach the child Jac's tricks. Works well for me. I think they are great.
Matt
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Nice, Matt, does the laundry basket look like a wizard or just have a pic of a wizard on it?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi George, I use a pop up laundry basket to hold my ready made balloon models at a party, I had my name put on it by the same guy who did my car. I arrive with the balloons in a bin bag, popup the basket and empty the ballons into it. I then give the bin bag to the booker with the joke, that they get a free binbag with every show.

I didn't know about the ones in woolworths, the lion one would be perfect for me as I use the big lion puppet, If you don't mind can I pinch your idea?
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
No unfortunatly it would be really cool if it turned into the JAC the wizard at the end but its just got a picture of the wizard, the book of spells and the wands and stuff. Might look into it though, I've just thought I'd surprise kids and don't ever say I've got that for my washing! or something like that
Matt
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
No problems, Clive that's why I shared the idea. I'm sure you'll come up with a lot of fun stuff with it and it'll be nice for Marmite to have a chum Smile.
I'm not suprised you guys are already using pop-up laundry baskets, I've a friend from Cork who spotted one and purchased it immediatly for his shows. There must be a gene in all kid's entertainers that sees a pop-up basket and goes hmmmmmmmmm. SI can't really take much credit for the lion idea either because I bet the same gene would've definitely had you picking up the lion if you came across one.
All the bits of business with it evolved naturally because it's just one of those objects ripe for that kind of stuff.
Matt, I like the way you've used your basket to routine the tricks. It's a nice lead in to your book of sm...spells.
George
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Great idea!

I love it!
triadsong
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
170 Posts

Profile of triadsong
Wonderful Idea! Now, if only Woolworth's would re-oen in the States!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Ive also use it with the visible magic painting the wizard picture. I only use it for birthday parties so I think I will have a look at the lion one.
Matt

You might end up having spring lion 'rocky's' if you don't becareful Clive. LOL
Matt
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
George,
The connection you have with your audience is wonderful! I can tell they have a roaring good time. I always enjoy your posts, thank you for a smile after a long day of entertaining.
Jewls
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
Does anyone know where in the US I might get one of those lions?
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I had a look for one on the net but had no luck. Maybe a more proficient 'googler' will have better luck than myself.
I'm probably going to nip down and buy myself a spare or two. When I do I'll see if I can find the manufacturers details on the packaging. That might help.
George
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I work out of a brightly colored plastic tote, sitting on a tray stand. It really makes it easy to put props back where they belong and greatly reduces reset time between shows.

I used a suitcase table, years ago. It was just too awkward to get props from. There's a reason why so many performers would rather work out of a box than a set of shelves, which is what a suitcase table really is.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7377 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Brent -

I was in a Canadian store on Friday, called The Real Canadian Superstore, and they had the lion laundry baskets (and other animals as well) for about $25 CAN.

I didn't check Wal-Mart yet, but it might be worth a look in the US.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I too would like to know a supplier stateside please.
Having some major logistic problems with set up organization and ditching of props.
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
They are also selling a range of these at "Ethel Austins" here in the UK. Dog, cat, bear and frog.

They are actually called "pop up hampers" by a lot of manufacturers and a quick search on google brought up a lot of suppliers stateside. A couple I found even had wheels on the bottom. I sure they could be made to follow you around for part of the show!

Good luck in your search everyone!

Stu Di Doo
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2107 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Stu whats the price at Ethel Austins? My dog puppet could have a friend like marmite
Matt
rjsmith608
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rjsmith608
A basket like that would be great for switching things. Like the snake can. You can throw it in the basket and say wait I did need that for the trick. Or you could also make your own cloth covers with pockets to store props. David Ginn uses something similar but comes up to waist highth and he changes the cover for each show he creates to fit props he is using. I have been wanting one for years. I may break down and buy one and use it for my daycare show and just roll that on and my case and table.
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Hi Matt,

they were only £5 each! I think Clive picked up the lion one at woolworths for £10 or £12 when we were in Wolverhampton for Kidology.

Stu Di Doo
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I have found one small problem with the lion basket, it's a magnet for curious toddlers. it's only happened a couple of times and It never happened with my plain laundry basket.

but One even climbed in it when my back was turned. Luckily I was setting up at the time, and hadn't yet put any balloons in it.

Mum, as is always the case with these toddlers, watched with glee as her little angel played with the magicians stuff, not realising my bared teeth were not the result of a happy smile.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Having fun with a laundry basket (free B.O.B.) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL