The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tarbell Course in Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DarkMagi
View Profile
New user
new hampshire
4 Posts

Profile of DarkMagi
I have been looking into these books.
I have been performing magic for about a year and a half.
Does anyone recommend this book?
It sounds great.
Thanks.
Unleash the magic within!
roya
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
211 Posts

Profile of roya
They are great.
Do a search, you'll find a lot of information about the books.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
If I may recommend an inexpensive alternative, the CD at http://www.lybrary.com has the original Tarbell Course for only $37. The hardback books you're thinking of have only 1.5 volumes worth of material that the CD doesn't have -- and the 1.5 volumes worth wasn't put together by Tarbell.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
The Tarbell Course is an excellent introduction to many different fields of magic -- balls, eggs, cards, silks, mentalism, coins, etc. There's also lots of good information about many classic effects like the Linking Rings, Sympathetic Silks, Okito Box, Egg Bag and so forth.

Tarbell can really broaden your magical horizons. On the other hand, if you already know what you like, it may have a lot of material that doesn't interest you. So you have to decide if the Tarbells would be helpful or not at this point in your hobby.

My only other comment is that the patter for many of the effects is somewhat dated, being 75+ years old at this point. However, that's not a big deal, because you should always come up with your own patter anyway.

I don't think you can go wrong with Tarbell, it's a great learning tool and reference. I'd suggest getting one or two volumes to start, see if you like it, and them buy additional volumes as you progress. That way you're not making a big investment sight unseen. Good Luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Brilliant books.Thousands of effects are covered in thousands of pages.
Andre
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
The Tarbell Course In Magic should be in every Magicians library. They contain enough material to last you a life time. Definately worth a purchase
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Mezmer
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
64 Posts

Profile of Mezmer
Get all 8!!!! These are refered to in so many magic books you will need them...
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
They are great! Get volumes 1-8 and the Tarbell Companion (which was edited by Seve Burton 1994). There are many tricks being put out today as 'new'. After reviewing these books, many of these 'new' effects are in these books.

Jim
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Aboslutely fantastic. Many "new" efects can be found in these volumes-folks have just forgotten about them
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
People bring up the Tarbell series frequently, but I again just want to reiterate how good these books are. I spent some time leafing through Tarbell #1 just the other night, and you wouldn't believe how many "new" principles in marketed effects come directly out of Tarbell (as everyone has already said)! Moreover, there were some great explanations for basic card and coin stuff; I significantly improved my pass immediately after going through the description in this book.
DamienT98
View Profile
Regular user
London UK now live in Austin Tx
180 Posts

Profile of DamienT98
Get them now!! All 8 books are totally brilliant. The cheapest place I found to buy them, believe it or not, was the magic shop in downtown disney in Florida. It was only a fraction of the price the magic shops here in London charge.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
http://www.themagicwarehouse.com these have the tarbell course in magic pretty cheap
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
ekozuch
View Profile
Veteran user
argentina
329 Posts

Profile of ekozuch
Is there any other book like the tarbell? (i mean with so many different fields of magic)
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Another good book that offers information on many different types of magic is "Hugard's Magic Manual"; it was originally published in the 1940's as the "Modern Magic Manual." The book was written by Jean Hugard, a fine vaudeville magician and well-known magical author.

The book has now been republished by Dover Books (I guess the copyright has expired) and is available from Barnes & Noble as well as the Amazon website. See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det......;s=books

At around $12, it's a real bargain. Although it's not as detailed as Tarbell and does not include as many routines, it's still a very good buy. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2004-08-28 15:07, DarkMagi wrote:
It sounds great.
Thanks.

YES, EVERYONE!
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2004-08-28 15:07, DarkMagi wrote:
I have been looking into these books.
I have been performing magic for about a year and a half.
It sounds great.
Thanks.

YES, EVERYONE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tarbell Course in Magic (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL