The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » For Mentalists; Your Three Greatest Books Ever ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2606 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
That's not mindreading, that's bullying Smile
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
MightyChan:

•Easy to learn from pictures, very little English?

•Design Duplication tricks?

•Mental tricks that play out on paper, such as Mathematical tricks?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
My top three:

Maximum Entertainment - Ken Weber

Combined e-books Making Magic Real and Making Real Magic - Richard Osterlind

Absolute Magic - Derren Brown
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Maximum Entertainment - Ken Weber This was an awsome book... I think you just inpired me to go and read it again.

Thanks
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
Aron Devin
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga, TN
78 Posts

Profile of Aron Devin
My three favorite Mentalism books are:

1) The Mental Magic of Basil Horowitz (4 volume set)
2) Mind, Myth and Magic - T.A. Waters
3) Self-working mental magic- Karl Fulves

There are hidden treasures in each of these works. You've got to dig to find them, but the effort is worth it.
bluefred
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of bluefred
well in mentalism stunners by larry becker
peek perfomances and theater of the mind.
now in cold reading hot cold reading by herb dewey,the complete oort by philemon vanderbeck and the dance by brad hederson these are some of mi favorites
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
13 Steps
Practical Mental Effects
Prism
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Menetekel
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Menetekel
corinda
jinx
waters

Extra:

berglas
all the stuff put out by jack dean
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7022 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Great suggestions. I'm going to have to pick some of these up.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Gosh! So many great books to choose from.

Having been restricted to three books only, reluctantly, my choices must go to my sentimental favorites. (Those books/booklets that I read when I was first getting into magic and was carefully reading and devouring every word and analysing every point, concept and effect presented):

"Prism" by Max Maven aka Phil Goldstein. (Thank goodness that the 5 small Goldstein booklets have now been combined into this one book.)

"The Jinx" by Ted Annemann. (If the 3 volume set is considered to count as one choice. If not, change this 2nd choice to read "Practical Mental Effects".)

"Mastering the Art of Magic". A compilation book by Eugene Burger (Lot of good stuff on presentation and making your effects entertaining. My favorite booklet in this compilation is Eugene's booklet entitled "Secrets and Mysteries for the Close-Up Entertainer")

The foregoing books are old friends with whom I'm always comfortable sitting down with having a cup of coffee in the quiet of my study and having a friendly "conversation" with these friends. They are always welcome in my house--and in my mind. It's like wearing a comfortable old sweater and well-worn pair of jeans.

Mike

P.S.
Books that I have recently read and went slack-jawed in amazement were Paul Curry's "Worlds Beyond" and Barrie Richardson's "Theratre of the Mind". I cannot begin to describe the depth of thought and information contained in these two books. These two books just took the breath out of me and immediately joined the foregoing clique of friends mentioned above.

Books still to read that I have yet to get to and which I am eagerly anticipating are: T.A.Waters' "Mind, Myth and Magick", David Berglas' "The Mind/Magic of David Berglas" and "The Secret Ways of Al Baker". The Waters book and the Al Baker book are massive tomes that contain massive amounts of useful information and effects.

Seeing all of the foregoing books being repeated many many times here on this thread, you can reasonably conclude that any of the foregoing would not be a mistake or wasted effort on your part. On any given day, any of the above can easily be defended if found on anyone's "top 3" list. So take a flyer, pick ANY three and start reading, thinking and learning.

Just IMHO.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My top three would be:
13 Steps by Corinda
Anneman: Life & Times of a Legend by Abrams (contains all his books and all his material from The Jinx)
How to Develop Mental Magic by Hadley (a complete treatise on a 2-person code act)

With those three forming a base, I'd then add the works of Waters, Maven, Osterlind, Becker, Earle, Cassidy, Richardson, Lesley, Marks, Shaw (Banachek), Busch, Jakutsch, Knepper, etc. I have books, videos and/or manuscripts of all these guys and more. but I think you need to build a base first, and the three I mentioned above give you that base.

There are a number of excellent works with "beginning" effects (I use that term loosely) by authors like Marvin Kaye, etc... even Karl Fulves has a decent little mentalism book in his "Self-Working" series that is worth looking into. These are the books to get if you're not sure you want to "get into" mentalism or mental magic--if you just have a passing interest--because they have some good material at a very reasonable price.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6520 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
If I was forced at gunpoint it would have to me PME, 13 steps & MMM... I guess if it could only be one collection then it would have to be all of Magick because it would take several lifetimes to try everything out... that's where the immortality would kick in.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Jinx/Barrie Richardsons Theatre of the mind/Corrinda in no particular order.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Mind, Myth & Magick - TA Waters
Maximum Entertainment - Ken Weber
Wonder Words - Kenton Knepper
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1783 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Could I just have the entire volume of Magick & call it quits.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
The Jinx
You have to give it away to keep it.
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Add Luke Jermay's 3510 to the list.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Berglas book
All Paolo books Smile
SAD from Looch (for close-up and strolling)
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
will4gzus
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
13 Steps to Mentalism - Tony Corinda
Practical Mental Effects - Theodore Annemann
Theater of the Mind - Barrie Richardson
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Absolute Magic
Mind Myth and Magick
The Mental Mysteries of Hector Chadwick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » For Mentalists; Your Three Greatest Books Ever ! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL