The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Floating Objects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cameron
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of Cameron
Alright, I'm new to the magic thing most of what I do is contact juggling. For those of you who know what that is then great, how ever for those who don't contact juggling is basicaly rolling a ball around on your body, and is usualy done with an acrylic ball that looks like a bubble. And I do a lot of isolations, where the ball looks like its stuck in space and my hands move around it, verry nice floating effect. Any way I'm trying to get into busking. And heres why I'm posting, I have a lot of people that some how don't realize my hand never really leaves contact with the ball and think it is quite literaly floating, this is fine except when they ask me to let go of the ball, usualy little kids ask that. Any way I was thinking well wouldnt it be great if I could and it would still float there in space? So my question is what effect do I need to look into purchasing? It needs to work with people allthe way around me and if at all possable it would really be better if haveing a long sleved shirt wasnt a nesisity. I don't know much about these effects but I would also need to be able to do this quickly and preferably be able to move my hands around the ball while its floating. Mind you the ball isn't exactly light. I don't know if there is any thing that will work but if there is could someone let me know? Thank you all in addvance I hope someone can help me.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The fact that the ball is necessarily heavy for contact juggling rules out most "levitations." If there's a way to switch the ball out for a lighter one, then the Zombie effect might be work looking into. It's traditionally a silver sphere, so you may have to change your usual acrylic ball for one that looks the same. You can "mime" the isolations and at the appropriate time pull your hands away.

I know, some here will complain that the hookup won't work, or you'll have to use a scarf (foulard) to hide the gimmick, but just use the ball and how it works to come up with your own gimmick. My first thought would be to adapt a Lavalier Microphone holder to attach the gimmick, leaving both hands free.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Cameron
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of Cameron
I was hoping the weight wouldn't be the problem? Just out of curiosity what is the max weight for most methods? And I do have a zombie very nice effect, though I haven't used it since I was about 7. I don't think there are any good way to switch it out or to mime the isolations. And I was really hoping to more or less just have it floating no scarf or any thing. As for coming up with my own gimmick I suppose in the end I will probobly have to but if theres an easy way out for now I'd like to take it =) Thanks though Dave =)
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Losanders floating bubble may be a alternative to the real bubble. But it essentially looks like a zombie as you use a foulard.

As an aside, I just picked up a 4" acrylic ball for contact juggling. (I just got a video and then bought the ball... which is too big for a contact juggling beginner.)

But I was thinking of combining it with Losanders Floating bubble for inside work. Because although I think the contact juggling will work on the street, I don't think that the floating bubble would be good outisde, due to wind, etc.

For most levitation effects, the weight is not much, an ounce or two for most usual methods. I recently picked up a cute little levitation of a 6 inch rice paper ball that looks like a beach ball. It shows big, but is very light. But having tried it outside, I can tell you that it is best suited for indoor work.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Also, you can't really do zombie in a surrounded enviornment. Not unless you don't care about exposure. At night, however, you could so some IT effects. I have seen a magician floating a lit cigarette at night under no-wind conditions. It was quite beautiful and magical.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Hmmm....this is a toughie! The ball's heavy that rules out IT (even kevlar might not hold it). It's clear, and you're surrounded. That rules out a zombie effect. I know jugglers do everything 'Out in the open', that is, all the juggling takes place in full view. If you want to mix a little magic into this though, you'll need a bit of deception. Off hand, here's what I'm thinking:

First, you'll need a wall or something at your back. It's tough, but most flotation effects simply don't play off well surrounded. Get the 'handzup' effect (hottrix)and affix a ridgid wire attatchment to it, using a coathanger. Then use either a jacket of your own, or better, one borrowed from the audience, or simply a cloth / foulard which you use at some other point in a juggling act (such as twirling it on one finger). after a little contact juggling, hold up the jacket / foulard / whatev., and balance the ball on it's rim. I can't go into details here, but the effect will be that you are holding an outstretched jacket with one hand gripping each end, while a preacariously balanced ball wavers and rolls about on it's rim.
Another possibility with the handzup gimmick, would be to have a cardboard 'applause please' sign at the ready, and when someone asks you to let go of the ball, reach down & pick up the sign, and the effect will be that an unsupported ball is hovering just above the sign, which you are holding with both hands. (Note: you would'nt use the wire-attatchment here)

P.S., I mentioned Hottrix because they're the manufacturers, but you can probably find it cheaper at some other site.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Cameron
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of Cameron
Hum when I read about rolling it on a jacket or somethig all I see in my head is just learning to actualy roll the ball on a jacket or something. It seems like it would take a while depending on how thick the material is but might not be quite so bad. As for the sign idea I'm not quite sure I know what your talking about Could people put there hand under it? That and being a contact juggler means I would need a way to get the ball from some normal place to the floating spot. I don't know Thanks for the ideas so far though. Maybe its just not gona work but it would be a really cool effect.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Don't give up quite yet. You don't need any cover at all if you watch your angles, and think "outside the box." I know there are arm or body rolls (not sure what you call it in juggling terms) that could be a perfect setup for an eventual levitation. At one point you'll have to switch out the heavy ball for the "floater" but it shouldn't be too difficult to have a reason to place it on a table, and pick "it" up again later.

Once you know more about the "Zombie" gimmick, it will become more clear to you how it works, and how you must adapt it. Another method I've seen that could work was used by Joseph Gabriel to suspend a dove in mid air in front of his body. The same thing can be done with things other than doves. All you need is a way to get the ball on and off the attachment point, and keep it hidden from view.

PM me if you want to "brainstorm" in more detail.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I contact juggle my zombie. It can be done, you'll need to build your own.

You can in fact do zombie surrounded. Just be careful of the wind.

PM me and I'll give you the details.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
What is the name of that float anything gimmick - the TT with the suction cup on the end? As a juggler, you could do really well with one of those gimmicks, and it would appear that the ball floats between your hands - none of your fingers touch it. Use mime techniques, where the ball floats over your head and you have to pull it back down etc.

Don't know the weight limits on it, anyone have a link to where he can buy one of those?
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
For me, contact juggling and then switching out for a lightweight ball that might be levitated would be easy.

Since I often Drop the ball, I could just switch out for a lighter ball after the second or third time I pick it up after the drops. Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Cameron,
Skillful contact juggling that looks like magic is, I think, more impressive when performed as a physical skill rather than as a magic trick per se.

The wow factor is much greater for a spectator who sees you maintaining that sphere in place and then gets to feel just how heavy and solid it is. In contrast, to see you pull away, leaving it undeniably floating, would be dissappointing, i.e. "Oh, it's only a trick..."

Why undermine your hard-won skill?
Cameron
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of Cameron
I know I just wanted to play with the effect that and it would be a good way to get rid of the peskey people that bring their kids and when I let their kids see the ball they throw it... Ug that made me sick...
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Maybe you could keep a cheaper practice ball around to let kids handle. A violinist wouldn't let some kid touch his Stradivarius!
Cameron
View Profile
New user
Toledo Ohio
32 Posts

Profile of Cameron
I plan to start doing that however at the time I didn't have a very good way to transport all of my toys working on fixing that =)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Floating Objects? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL