The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jumbo Sidekick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
The original idee came from mr.George cook .
In his version roses dropt from a rosebush (with sparks) the drape falls, a wand flies off the table & the selected card flies from the houlette.(it was a mechanical masterpiece)
Collectors workshop created their version (jumbo sidekick - using modern electronics)
The comedy card in balloon is another version of this effect (wireless wizardry)
Both are good versions!
The one from puchinger or from exclusive magic (jan leenders) are copys of the collectors workshop version
Terry Harris
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Terry Harris
I do know where one of the originals is and it is for sale. It uses timing but works great. I purchased years ago from CW Snake basket (Kybra Cobra), Jumbo Sidekick, and Gumball. Yes it was a lot of money but 10 years later still in ship shape and never failed me. It is pro equipment-Terry
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
George Cook's was, indeed, the original. It worked with a wire that burned through very slowly. Everything was mechanical and timed to that wire burning. Not many of these were made. The last one I saw was on Kenna Thompson's web site.

Jumbo Sidekick II allows simultaneous use of remote and sound. I used one of these for many years at the Texas Renaissance Festival. The question was "Why would you want to use both?" I let the sound from the firearms trigger the first parts of the sequence. Then I had the spectator make a pistol with his hand, and "shoot" the pip off the card. The remote took care of this.

This one was made by the fellows in Virginia. The problem with it was that the access screws were covered by the felt covering. This is a major design flaw. The new ones from Viking/CW are completely redesigned. They are much more reliable.

Puchinger's is a knockoff. He has a well-deserved reputation in the magic community as a pinch artist.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey Bill,
So did Collector's Workshop buy the rights from George Cook? I am always curious as to the history of an effect and it's changes along the way.
This brings me to a question regarding magical effects and their evolution.
Suppose I have a completely new version/plot of the CW Jumbo Sidekick in which the ONLY commonality is the card prediction at the end and even that is twisted a bit. The mechanics, plot, actions are completely different however the basic theme remains of items reacting to an action. I cannot tip the idea for obvious reasons. The beauty of this idea as that there is NO GUN involved yet it makes complete sense ( unlike waving a wand at a table and things start to fly off)
Am I able to create and release this or would I be called a hack?
This is always tough for me as I have so many ideas that go so far beyond the original inspiration that, in my opinion, it warrants being called a brand new effect.
Maybe we can start another thread discussing this topic?
To answer the guys question, Jumbo Sidekick is an AWESOME prop and I have found it to be very reliable.
Thanks guys!
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Chance, here's one way to look at it...

Lots of books get published with improvements or enhancements to existing routines. (Usually closeup magic, but other types as well.) The books with routines that add little to the original are usually poorly reviewed; the authors who really added something worthwhile are appreciated for having released a contribution.

From what I've seen of everything you've made, you fall into the second category...your versions of Square Circle, the Chattering Teeth or other routines add a lot to the original.

I think you should just contact Collector's Workshop, and discuss what you want to do with the trick. I imagine that if approached, they'll approve your version and eagerly look forward to it.

The other side of the argument is that the idea of a bunch of silly/crazy things happening during a trick, before the climax is revealed (in this case, a prediction) is more of a general idea, and not a specific concept. So I can't see anyone claiming any kind of ownership over what you're thinking of building.

But so many of these kinds of things can be solved by just talking to people, and letting them know what you're thinking of.

Jeff
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Jeff,
Great points.
Professionally, I always do call the Originators, including George on another occassion, and discuss it with them. I am looking for the "public opinion" of the situation which is just what I got from you and hope to hear from others.
I guess I am trying to validate/establish some type of ethical grounds so we do not stifel magic from growth. I would easily throw my own creations into the mix and welcome someone taking it over the top. Usually, I just say "***, why didn't I think of that!" Smile
Thanks for the input,
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Terry Harris
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Terry Harris
My investments several years ago with Rich Bloch in side-kick , kybra cobra and gumball have paid off handsomly for years. They are truly well made and highly workable equipment to build your routines around
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
The posts are correct; George Cook's "Miracle Missiles" was the original of this effect and theme (spectator "aiming" poorly and hitting the magician's props instead of the houlette.) I've had three or four of them. Unless there was an earlier model, I think Bill is incorrect. Every one I've had utilized a motor that caused a "carousel" of electrical contacts to revolve. Each time a contact was closed, a tiny, tiny, "flashpot" sent a charge through a thin copper wire, which then immediately broke, releasing its object (like a flower.) What was cool about this is that because it was an electric surge that broke the little wire, it created a tiny, but easily visibly, puff of smoke and it really did look like someone shot a gun and hit the rosebush, or whatever effect was occurring. For the time (late 40's, early 50's,) it was a very cool state-of-the-art piece of mechanical magic apparatus. Now, of course, it is very dated.

I think Kerry Pollock's model combining the Comedy Card in Balloon is the best version available today, although they are all pretty good.
islandguy
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of islandguy
I owned, liked, but sold Jumbo Sidekick as too heavy to transport for private party type shows I do now (also increasingly Mentalism). Recommended for Stage but I would prefer the versatility of Jumbo Sidekick II. Keith
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Must just be me, but I use JSII in some birthday parties (kid's) occasionally. It's not too "heavy" to carry. It weighs less than my Lefler table.

Steve Thomas
islandguy
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of islandguy
Agreed,that the weight is relative, but 1. I would rather pack light, and the Lefler table is enough (one can entertain with or without these things - matter of choice, not a criticism of Sidekick). 2. As mentioned, increasingly I am doing Mentalism, where Sidekick doesn't fit. I did say I liked it. Keith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jumbo Sidekick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL