The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kidology UK - 6 September (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Hi Phillip,

No, I'm not going to Blackpool next year. I've had enough of going to conventions at the moment. I worked it out last year, that with the loss of income for the four days I was away at Blackpool, plus the cost of accomadation, and the money I spent whilst away, the total was over £1000, and I had nothing to show for it. I didn't learn anything from the lectures, they were crap, and I could have brought the bits and pieces I got from off the net.

I might go to Bristol, as its only 2 hours up the road, but I'm not even sure if I'm that bothered about that one yet.

I might have been in the wrong frame of mind at the Kidology, because it has been such a busy summer, by the time I got to the convention, I was sick of magic.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I realy enjoy Blackpool possibly because I'm involved with all aspects of magic so if I don't like the Kids stuff I know I will enjoy the other lectures. I think a lot of us entertainrs can cringe when we some of the awful acts competing, their are always a few that really stand out but the majority are very poor. The only thing I would hate is for all the entertainers to nick your original matireal.
matt
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
With respect Matt, you're a lot younger than me. When I was your age, I enjoyed the lectures, because back then I wasn't doing about 40 shows every month. I was doing the occasional show, and I also did close up, but more as a hobby.
MarcDominic
View Profile
New user
U.K.
12 Posts

Profile of MarcDominic
HI All

It is interesting to read your commenst as a young lecturer at this event I am amused by your posting re old out dated lectures.

In my lecture I touched on Marketing and the use of contact managemnet software and specifically mentioned ACt and magic base. Yet Emma's Dad said he got nothing out of teh convention, and posted ono another part of this group re ACT claiming he hadnt a clue what people were going on about.

Perhaps we only see and hear information to support or own opinions when we are at conventions and don't actually listen to what is said.

Next years line up will be as varied as this one with osmething for everyone.
Childrens Entertainer of the Year 2005 - Finalist
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi Marc, Maybe it was because the content / style of the lecture didn't manage to hold my attention.

The impression I got from your lecture, when you started touching on such stuff like risk assesments etc, was that you were trying to scare newcomers in this business into signing up for your course. It was only when that other guy took over for a while and demonstrated how your normal stuff can be easily transformed to fit any theme, that it got interesting, it was nothing that I hadn't donre in the past myself, but at least it was entertaining and held my interest.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
MarcDominic
View Profile
New user
U.K.
12 Posts

Profile of MarcDominic
Hi Emazdad - I don't know if you were watching the same lecture I don't run a course. I can understand the impression re RISK assesment as it is a very murky area even within local authorities.
The generalidea of the lecture was to introduce the complexities of the corporate market but if you are doing that and marketing it effectively there is no need to change anything.If it ain't boke don't fix it is a fair stand point to take.

But if that is the case why bother going to conventions and seminars? I accept every one has an opinion and a right to critise and comment so let me ask the question what would you want to se next year. Be specific not just new stuff or young performers because many young performers aren't at a level to talk constructively about what they do.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I think that the trouble with kids magic at conventions is that it is all relativly new in the UK
Take the Blackpool convention a few years back when they first introduced a kids ents section it was just the comp "Uk chldrens ent of the year" or something like that... but in reality it just comes down to those who have the ego to ask Mr Lever if they can be a part of it (yeah I know he views some of the acts)
Most of the acts are really poor (it's the voices that really rive me wild the way they sort of sing " Hello Boy's and Girls") there is occasionaly a good act and it is often touch and go as to wether the good act will win or the other style I have not mentioned yet .. the ones who come out with an act just designed to make the magicians laugh.

To be honest I have not seen you work Mark as I no longer go to the kids comp I went to a few and I could not stick it, there for as you sugested to Emazdad I no longer go.
I do go to some of the kids lectures if it is a performer I want to see some times I enjoy it sometimes not. I think part of the problem is that most people with a real good kids act do not want to go giving it away at lectures. take Quentin reynolds he does have some good material and good way with the kids (I have a full show of him on video tape). Although I enjoyed the lecture he did at blackpool, I feel he would have been thought of much better by a larger section of the audience if he had included at least a few of his routines.
Phillip
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I enjoyed some bits of Quentin Renolds but I think the fairy phone and a few other B.O.B were very 50's style entertainment, then I got bombarded with letters asking or telling me rather to buy his course.

matt
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
Well I enjoyed your lecture Marc and I certainly took some value from your lecture notes as well.

I think the problem was that the style of presentation was very outdated by a number of the other performers and this is not what is wanted to be seen as driving the business forward.

The language, pace and method of entertaining children has changed over the years, this is evident just by watching todays kids programmes on TV, but some performers style has not.

If it works for them and they are happy doing that then carry on, I just think fresh ideas to help the newcomers (such as myself) are needed.

Just my thoughts

Stu Di Doo
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi Mark,

I went to the lecture, and after our discussion in the bar, billy and I was interested in the risk assesment bit, it was something we'd never encountered. But to us in the lecture it sounded like you were taking it to the extreme and inventing a problem that neither of us had ever come across. I was under the impression you run a course for kids entertainers, and it seemed you were trying to scare people into signing up, I must have been mistaken, and got the wrong impression, and I apologies.

I did get the lecture notes in case I missed something important, and we looked at them in the car on the way back, but then we still found nothing of interest to either of us, and they are still under the passenger seat of my car. Although your lecture had stuff in it that interested others especially people new to the business at the convention, to both me and Billy it contained either stuff we already knew, or stuff we were not interested in.

Why do we go to convention, that's a question we've been asking ourselves since we got back, and have decided that at the moment, we'll not bother for a while as we haven't been to one we enjoyed for ages.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Good job my dads an accountant!
matt
MarcDominic
View Profile
New user
U.K.
12 Posts

Profile of MarcDominic
Guys its good to get constructive comments - if any of you have ideas for lecturers them let Alec at Albion MAgic or Jeremey at Practical Macgi know.

I know they want to try and keep it focused on teh UK Market and how kids react here - I know from experience it can be very different to children it the states or Europe but there are soem hings ANY child will laugh at.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kidology UK - 6 September (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL