The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Original Tarbell course (the mail order one) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Hi, I have someone that has the loose leaf, original Tarbell course in magic in its binder that would like to know if it has much value.

Does anyone here have an idea of its value?
I would appreciate any information you could give.

Thanks
Kent
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
Unfortunately I believe the value to be very low. I posted a complete set on ebay about three years ago twice on ebay at an opening bid of $50 and it did not generate any interest. The 8 Book set usually sells better on ebay.
Even at collectors meetings nobody seemed to be really interested in the original individual lessons.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I would almost have the loose leafs than the books...but that is just me.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I also had the original Tarbell lessons in the original Tarbell binder. All was complete, and I think I managed to sell it to an individual for $100. At the time, I hadn't found the Tarbell coin and shell that I had in the collection/estate at the time I sold the course. The coin should've gone with it. That's about a fair to high price. I'd love to have it again if your friend wants to sell it. Heck...it might be the same one I originally sold!

Steve Thomas
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
There may be some items in the original course that was not included in the book versions...?
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Thanks for the information.

The person who brought it into me really just wanted someone to have it that would enjoy it, so he gave it to me. I told him that if it was worth a lot of money that I would feel bad about just taking it. I told him that if I found out it had a high value I would want to pay him something.

I don't think I will be selling it as I have a few older items I have collected over the years and since the Tarbell course is a staple in most magicians library having an original one is great.

My "book" Tarbell set 1-5 have a 1941 to 1948 copyright. The one I just recieved is a second edition 1927 copyright.

Anyway...thanks again for the help
Kent
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
The original Tarbell course was call: "Tarbell System"
I also have these. My is a 1927 copyright.

Their are a lot of things in the Tarbell System that isn't in the Tarbell Course.

I also got the ebook of the Tarbell System. This is nice! If you don't want to read the page, the computer will read it for you.

You can get the ebook from: Lybrary.com

Emmett
geodb
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of geodb
I have a used post binder tarbell course that is almost complete. The original owner was a pharmacist who became a part time magician through this course.I purchased it 20+ years ago from his widow and I would like to sell it if there is any interest.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9490 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
That's Unbelievable

I've been saving these mail order courses that were originally purchased by Jim Swoger.
Im the second owner. I can't believe they have no value. I might as well throw them away instead of selling them.

I'm seeing the same thing happen with cataloges. I have 600 cataloges that should probably just be thrown in the recycling bin.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Jay, Don't throw the catalogs in the trash. Send me a list or a rough idea of what there isand I might know some one who would give them a good home.

I was at the convention when Burton Sperber started disposing of his catalog collection. Sad but they were grabbed up and treasured by other collectors. Of course, a lot depends on the catalogs you are talking about.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Original Tarbell course (the mail order one) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL