The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Al Schnider Dvd's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I watched the new Al Schneider DVDs this weekend and was really delighted. Great material, great thinking, and great instruction. Al teaches you many many points to make your magic MUCH stronger overall with CLEAR examples using his own creations.

Al is not a professional performer BUT he DOES understand why and how magic should look. He is extremely precise in his thinking and every move, every gesture has been examined inside and out. The material, the thinking, the advice is all VERY strong!

HIGHLY recommended.

Tim Trono
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
337 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Thanks-knowing that Al is a former student of Slydini, is there much lapping on the video?
David
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Not much Lapping. A few effects require it. I thought vol 1,2&3 were good. Vol 4 was so-so. Seemed to me it was just some filler.

The advice and information in Vol 1 is excellent. Al explains why each part of an effect is important. From display of a item , transfer of item, change and then how and why the spec's begin to rewind the information in thier minds to draw a conclusion. This is excellent information for any type of performer.

At times during effects the male population will see some wonderful misdirection and it wasn't even done by AL! If you get the set you will see.
Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
Quote:
On 2004-09-14 14:47, RandyM wrote:
Not much Lapping. A few effects require it. I thought vol 1,2&3 were good. Vol 4 was so-so. Seemed to me it was just some filler.

The advice and information in Vol 1 is excellent. Al explains why each part of an effect is important. From display of a item , transfer of item, change and then how and why the spec's begin to rewind the information in thier minds to draw a conclusion. This is excellent information for any type of performer.

At times during effects the male population will see some wonderful misdirection and it wasn't even done by AL! If you get the set you will see.
I agree. The first three, especially the first one, are excellent. The fourth DVD I personally could have done without, but it's fine for the stand-up guys. The Fusion rope routine on number 4 is very good, in my opinion.

As for the extra misdirection, I hear you brother, I hear you...

One time I wondered just where that camera was going to zoom to...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I heard these were a bit dull. But like Tim says, Al is not a professional performer.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
Sounds like it might be a good play just to buy volume 1?
icuryy
Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
DVD #1 has theory and some essential moves Al uses in all his magic.

DVDs #2 & #3 have the effects, mostly coins, but a few card things.

DVD #4 has his Stand-up items.

In my opinion, Al is a great thinker. He's not that powerful of a performer, and atypical of the talent that usually graces L & L products. He is not a pro performer, and it shows. In that way, he may appear dry. Many of the effects are killer and leave you in a state of bewilderment. Perhaps Al lets the effects speak for themselves. He just helps them along.

Many lessons to be learned in this series. They may not be to everyone's taste, so choose wisely.
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
So, Tommy, if I were to just buy 2 of the dvd's, which 2 would you recommend (I prefer cards over coins). Thanks.
icuryy
Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
Vol. 3 has more cards than the others. I think it also has more effects than the others. Since Al isn't into elaborate presentations so much, the tricks are usually fairly quick.

If you can only get 2 of them, I would recommend Vol. 1 for the theory (unless you don't like theory, then I won't recommend it, but he also explains many of the sleights he uses for coins) and Vol. 3.

Those are the two I like the most. Vol. 2 is a good DVD, but I like Vol. 3 more.

Anyone who knows me or knows of me realizes I am primarily a card guy. I enjoyed these DVDs and especially the coin work. Give at least one of these a shot. As I mentioned before, I think Al is a great thinker. Maybe it will rub off.
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
Thanks for the advice. Are any of the card tricks new or just his version of well known effects? Were you fooled by any of them?
icuryy
Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
Quote:
On 2004-09-22 04:12, Socalesq wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Are any of the card tricks new or just his version of well known effects? Were you fooled by any of them?
Mostly his versions of old plots. I was taken in by a few. A couple of them didn't get by me. Some are just quick, eye-catching effects. Cards are only a small part of this series. Mostly coins, which Al is an expert in. Other effects may require props, but nothing more than finger rings, handkerchief, or cups and balls.
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
Much obliged for the information. I've decided to take your advice and get vols 1 and 3. Thanks.
icuryy
Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
I hope I didn't steer you wrong. Everyone's tastes are different. I don't think you will be disappointed with these two.
Brad Hall
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, Ok
40 Posts

Profile of Brad Hall
I thought his vanishing coin under card example of virtual magic was good. I showed that part to my wife, who looked confused for a second, then said "camera tricks, right?". Evidently for her, it was not something he could have done, even though she knew it was a magic DVD.
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of asper
I love these. The 2nd DVD is my favorite. Off is a solid routine.
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
311 Posts

Profile of xformer7
Question for the owners of this DVD. On Volume 1, Chapter 14, A.S. demonstrates his concept of "virtual magic" by covering a coin with a card and showing it has vanished when the card is removed. Is the method for this effect taught somewhere on one of the DVDs?

Very visual (and I guess "virtual") effect.
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of asper
I have a method for the effect. Since we can't expose on the board, pm me. Schneider said he developed it for the DVD (hint, hint). PM me for my method (which I think he used). It's not practical for most performances, but it does create the same effect.

Asper
Dove84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Dove84
Anything by Al Scheider is sure to be well worth the price. I'm saving for these right now.
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of asper
Is anyone doing anything from this series?

Cross Cards (vol.2) is getting great reactions from my spectators.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I love the 'Marked' cards where the card is drawn on the side of the deck.I bit like the Paul Gertner 'Unshuffled' and a lot easier to do!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Al Schnider Dvd's (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL