The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Remembering children's names! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
What do you say or do when you entertain at a child's birthday party and a couple of months later that same child comes up to you and says "do you remember me you were at my birthday party".
But you can't remember beacause you see so many kids during the month!
Can I have your ideas please?
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
I know the feeling, I love it when I do remember but sometimes I just can't and it's then I use terms like Princess & Bud, mention something that probably happened when I saw them last. To let them know I do remember them.
Then entertain them.
I look forward to reading everyones post!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have a look of recognition on my face when every children greet me.

I also get their name VERY wrong if I don't no (e.g. call girsl BOB)
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
I try my best to remember kid's name for all my parties and yes, it's seems impossible to remember all.

Maybe we need Harry Lorayne's Memory Power Package!

Anyway, when I met this situation, I said: "Yes, I remember you at that party. You name is..." then I tried to recall (I am really trying!), most of the time the kid will say out their name and you said "That's right! You're Sarah!"

It works fine for me. :>
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Well you are right when you do a lot of shows for hundreds of children it is tuff to remember their names and sometimes faces.

My take is that I act is I have done everyone's party. When a child comes up to me and says do you remember me I always say " Hey how have you been?" I do this in a very friendly way . I will give them a mystery dollar . I give them high five and they feel good that you apparently do remember them.

Ken
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I send out name stickers for the parents to use with the instructions that they must write the names in big black marker pen so I can read them from a distance, but when a kid does come up to me without a name sticker on, Let's say it's a girl, I say,

"Wow, great to see you again, I like seeing my old friends, your Martin aren't you?"

"NO I'M SUSAN"

"Not Martin, Bob?"

"NO SUSAN"

"Right, give us a minute Susan and I'll remember it, Frank?"

The coversation carries on until eventually I say in an exagerated triumphant manner "Got it! It's Susan, told you I'd remember it".

I have other variations of the same sort of thing I use as well. The important thing is to make the child believe you do remember them, their face lights up and in the past I've had them run back to Mum shouting "MUM MUM The magic man remembers me"

My one problem with the use of name stickers is those names that don't sound anything like how they're written, IE Siobhan, which is pronounced Shavon. In this case I do the same as Jewis and call them, Mate, Princess etc.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
On a second thought, we should be encouraged when the kids comes to us and said that they remember us and even remember our name(or stage name)

It means that we must have done a very memorable show for them to remember!

I do feel good about that, and I think I should give them a mystery dollar or similar as kenscott had mentioned.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12006 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Ask them how do they spell their name. I have used this for years (especially when I was single:)

I cannot remember a time when it didn't work. You can pretend to write it on your palm with your finger.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Love your idea Nick, funny and it works. "Of course I remember your name, it's Ozzy Osbourne" or whatever comes to mind. Nice.

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Well Next year will be my 35th year in this buiness and I am on 3rd generation reperformances. I have adults come up to me and say do you remember when you came to my school and I helped you with soo and so trick . Of course I don't but I say yes I do and as I recall you made the trick fantastic. I feel that this leaves that party with the feeling that they were special because they are and I know it leaves me with the great feeling that I touched anothers life with some little thing I did. We sre in a great buisness and many of us just don't realize the impact we are having on our audiences lives. Fun and laughter is very important. I'll get off my soapy box now. thank you.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Barry Mitchell had a funny skit at KIDabra 2004. The assitant was named Alexus, so Barry kept caller her different car names, (Ford, Chevy, Etc.). Her response was funny and Barry built on it. Finally she grabbed Barry face with both hands and said ALEXUS.

Barry Mitchell is a natural when it comes to ad-lib, and dealig with situations in a comical and positive way.
Dennis Michael
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I agree with most posts on this topic and usually give the kid some form of regognition. I usually follow up by some of David Ginn's lines eg. how's your wife/husband; the kids; the family elephant etc.

Gets the kids laughing and they don't really know whether you remember them or not!
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I send out a birthday party planner guide and one of the suggestions is to give each kid a name tag. 1 out of a 100 do it. I also ask them not to give the kids any sugar stuff before I get there. Sometimes they're dinking Mountain Dew, eating cotton candy and snow cones. And boy is it fun trying to perform then.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
AMAZING BALDO
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of AMAZING BALDO
I get around knowing names during my show or after by calling everybody George. This came about by getting the birthday boys name wrong during a show, I called him by his brother's name, not good to do.
It is funny to walk into a party that the kids know you & they all yell George when they see you.
It gets a good laugh when I call the girls George.
I just explain to them that I'm bad with names & the only name I remember is George.
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
Very cool and I like it AMAZING BALDO!
Thanks!
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Does that mean I have to call everyone Baldo?
George
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
As long as you don't call them Harry The Clown.

If you want, you all have my permission to call anybody you want "Honus". But then they'll ask you what that means. I bet Baldo doesn't have that problem.

Hey, you know what Harry the Clown, Attilla the Hun and Alexander the Great have in common?

They all have the same middle name.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Yeah, I have also used this idea when at a party and I am havign a hard time rememberng names. Also, because I am hard of hearing and ware hearing aids, it often is hard for me to hear their names at times.

In situations like this, I just get into the comical habit of calling everyone Bob. The kids love it and giggle and find it funny and it seems to work ok for me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
If I get a kids name wrong, at a party, (which often happens if a kid has been a tad disruptive and you've got his/her name on the brain), I sometimes say,
"Sorry I got your name wrong didn't I sarah, I'm terrible at remembering names, I'd forget my own name if it wasn't written on my underpants. That's why I know my names Tescos" or whatever the name of the nearest big supermarket is.

Or I'll say, "Susan! well why did you just change your name to Mary?" or whatever name I used when I got it wrong.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Some lines I use when I miss a child's name are:

- It's Sarah. Oh Sarah. Got it! Do NOT change your name now Sarah or I might forget.

- It's Sarah. Are you sure it's not Betty Snodgrass? (or some other funny name) Oh it's Sarah. OK cool well I am glad it is not Betty Snodgrass. I like Sarah a whole lot better. =)

Or if a child comes up and is wearing a t-shirt with a picture or writing on it I will use this for some funny business.

Oh hey I know your name. Do not tell me. I think your name is NIKE right? (for kid wearing a Nike shirt) Ok Nike I am going to need you to hold this magic wand. It gets laughs from the kids a lot. Oh I know your name is Pokemon! I like that name.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Remembering children's names! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL