The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Radio Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2002-08-22 00:45, Andy Leviss wrote:
Hmm. I wonder if I could pull off a directed study course for my spring semester here at Emerson--"Philosophy of Mentalism". Cassidy, Brown, Corinda, etc. could be the texts. Heck, I could probably even scam them into letting me use my own book as a text. This might have potential ;o)

Now we're talking, Andy! We could work out a kickback on the texts and go for the big bucks! Smile

Seriously, though, we're not really talking about philosophy here. We're discussing audience psychology. (although that could be a profitable course as well!)

It is not what we're actually doing that classifies our work as mental magic or as mentalism. It is how the audience perceives our work. The "Holy Grail" here, if you will, is the ability to actually control that perception.And without a firm understanding of the psychology of deception the "quest" is doomed to failure.

For those interested (ad time!), part three of "Fundamentals" deals almost entirely with the psychology of deception in general and mentalism in particular. Part three will be released by the end of this week.

Best-

Bob Cassidy
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Smile Bob... I hate you!

You're cruel in how you tease us with your wisdom.

The college course idea however could work in a very frightening way... I may have lent the spark to a new market and career direction (and Andy was concerned about the competition... just invent a new niche where there is no competition.) Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Just to clarify, I was referring to a self-study (known as a directed study) DIY course that I could take during my spring semester; alas, much as I wish I could find enough people to take a class....wait a second, I don't want that, that would result in tons of competition...eek!

In all seriousness, though, I am working to see what I can do to do a self-study course on psychology as applied to mentalism through an advisor of mine (I'm a psychology minor). If I can pull it off, I'll keep you updated :o)
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Luke Kerr
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Luke Kerr
In addition(in my humble opinion) I think that mental magic and mentalism also depend on the performer's character.

If one that does card magic,looks like a cardician, or so on do a mental trick or use psychology he is doing mental magic ,because his character keeps him away from the mentalism effect,mentalism effect is in the way the specs look at you and if you look like a trickster they don't believe that you could read their minds also if you are an X-MAN with this mutant power REALLY!!!!
How the people feel the effects is more important than how the effect is done...and the way they fell depends strongly on your character,so I think that it's not good for mentalism in genre and for the performer too ,to do some very effective mentalism tricks with a "trickster character" or in the middle of an esibition of sleight...
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Wow! Im sorry for causing such a huge disturbance in the Force! Maybe next I won't bother asking for suggestions. Btw thanks for those great references Sid.

Smile

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Peter, there's no reason to be sorry or to not ask for suggestions in the future. This discussion grew out of what you asked into a broader discussion. The answers aren't specifically aimed at you, and shouldn't be taken personally.

That's how these message boards usually work; one person asks a specific question, and in the process of answering said question, the discussion broadens and is answered on a more general level.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Peter

Andy is right... forum threads, like a Fantasy Role Play Character, always take on a life of their own and mutate... sometimes we manage to get back on the original thought train... most of the time we don't.

Another "problem" with these things is understanding implication... I'm terrible for using the "wrong words" or "wordage" or even leaving bits and pieces of info out of things and it gets me reamed (at least once a week). Writing out pov's don't always translate "right" in the mind of those reading the material and too, it can be misinterpreted based on the reader's attitude & frame of mind at the time it's read... the list of "why" things go astray is staggering and just about as bewildering as paranormal manifestations Smile

Hang in there!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I was Joking guys...LOL! I know how the boards work LOL. Thats why I left a little happy face. I do appreciate all the suggestions I have recieved from this post and others. I have a lot more important things to think about than that.

Talk to ya later,

Best,

P. Smile
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Radio Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL