The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Black Ball" force idea needed. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I have an idea for a routine based on Cagliostro and "The Affair of the Diamond Necklace." Can anyone suggest a method for the following?

Six white balls and one black ball are openly dropped into an ungimmicked cloth bag. The bag is handed to a spectator who offers it in turn to each of seven other spectators. Each of them reaches into the bag and withdraws one ball keeping it concealed in his or her hand. The bag is then empty and may be examined. Obviously, some one of the particpants has the black ball.

So what? The problem is that I need to control who gets the black ball.

I have a method but I'm not completely satisfied with it. What can you suggest?

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
Quote:
On 2002-08-13 20:36, Sid Mayer wrote:
I have an idea for a routine based on Cagliostro and "The Affair of the Diamond Necklace." Can anyone suggest a method for the following?

Six white balls and one black ball are openly dropped into an ungimmicked cloth bag. The bag is handed to a spectator who offers it in turn to each of seven other spectators. Each of them reaches into the bag and withdraws one ball keeping it concealed in his or her hand. The bag is then empty and may be examined. Obviously, some one of the particpants has the black ball.

So what? The problem is that I need to control who gets the black ball.

I have a method but I'm not completely satisfied with it. What can you suggest?

Sid

Buy it from Charles Gauci, it's called 'Body Language and costs $80.
http://www.charlesgauci.com/onlinestore.htm

Jerry Cargile
David_Libertine
View Profile
Regular user
Lake Charles, LA
142 Posts

Profile of David_Libertine
How about a double change bag?
Boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Boy: Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Please read my original post. I know all about change bags. Part of the requirement is to do it with an ungimmicked bag (even a borrowed lunch bag).

I still need a better method than I have.

Sid Mayer

(I also wonder why sheep don't shrink when they get caught in a rainstorm.)
ThomasWTaylor
View Profile
New user
San Antonio
10 Posts

Profile of ThomasWTaylor
Max Maven's 'Kurotsuke' from Video Mind Vol. 1, or Verball from Mind, Myth, and Magic are along these lines.

Good Luck,
Tom
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Verball is page 602 in MMM and I would agree with Thomas. Kurotsuke, is nice to watch for the performance.

Kevin Smile
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
kurotsuke is soooooo simple. Don't try to get clever - don't try to get gimmicky - keep it simple.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Thanks. I'll check out both Kurotsuke and Verball as soon as I get a chance.

with appreciation,

Sid
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Nope. Verball and Kurotsake are both divinations -- determining who has the odd ball. My need is for a method that places the black ball into the hands of a specific predetermined participant. I guess that my first post didn't make that as clear as it should be.

Any more suggestions?

Sid
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Obviously you are familiar with the workings of the Maven effect, so you understand what I mean when I say it can do what you need fifty percent of the time. Given that, does it absolutely have to be a ball? If not, if for example it could be a marked piece of paper, then the basic principle behind Kurotsuke could be adapted to give you a hundred percent accuracy.

--Christopher Carter
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Excellent thought, Christopher. No, it doesn't need to be a ball. It could be a marked piece of paper but I would prefer a small solid object. Using paper slips might conflict with or confuse the plot which involves each of the particpants also having a free choice of a small sealed envelope. Playing the part of the notorious Count, I fire an antique pistol and it is revealed that the holder of the black ball has the only envelope containing a calling card with a bullet hole.

I have performed this only once so far. It was at a convention and Max Maven happened to be in the front row of the audience. Afterward, he said that he liked the effect and, while he didn't admit it, may have wondered a bit about the method.

However, I'll work on your paper slip idea. It has definite possibilities.

Thanks,

Sid
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Another route you could go is to gimmick the envelopes to show either a card with or without a hole in it. This would allow a free choice of any ball by any person. But a simple force is to keep the black ball out for the last person to take. Then mix up the people so its forgotten he was the last to take a ball. I am not sure if that fits your routine though.

Chad
Brash
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Brash
A possible variation on Chad's suggestion would be to hold a couple of white balls back as well as the black. Release the black on its own, then the two whites, giving the black ball to the third to last person.
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Should we maybe switch this conversation over to Secret Sessions?

--Christopher Carter
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
We probably should. I would like to get further into details. Unfortunately, I'm still about 24 posts short of gaining admittance.

Later, I guess,

Sid
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I will PM you with any further suggestions.

Chad
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
As with the second respondent, I would recommend that you seriously consider Gauci's Body Language. It gets round many of the handling problems in the Max Maven handling.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
gibby357
View Profile
Veteran user
The Woodlands, TX
344 Posts

Profile of gibby357
When I first read your initial Post, I was going to suggest the Max Maven handling as well but in reading the following post it is not what you are asking for. He controls the
choice, but you would like to hand it to someone who will hand it to the others as they pick, right? A tough call when it is out of your hand.... I will think and get back to you.

gibby Smile
zimsalabim
View Profile
Special user
Orlando Floirda USA
520 Posts

Profile of zimsalabim
There is an effect called ADAIRS EGG NEST that would solve this for you.

Z
Joe Zimmer

"The Second Greatest Magician in the World"

Who is the Greatest? Everybody else! Borrowed with respect from the late Great Eddie Fechter Owner of the Forks Hotel

Zimsalabim

Orlando Florida
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2008-07-29 13:31, zimsalabim wrote:
There is an effect called ADAIRS EGG NEST that would solve this for you.

Z

Don't think anyone heard you. This thread is SIX YEARS OLD!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Black Ball" force idea needed. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL