The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Entertainers "talking big" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I must be honest in saying that one of the reasons we've never joined Magical Societies etc. is the amount of "blarney" (Irish terminology) that you get thrown at you! Same when you are on the phone to some other entertainers. Why do they have to exaggerate, try so hard to create an impression, and "talk big"?

Having been in music before (as I must have told you a hundred times), I can honestly say that some of the most incredibly talented musicians are the most unassuming people you'd ever meet.

Maybe it's just that "showbizzy" people get on my nerves. Maybe some entertainers are insecure(?) - I just don't know. I usually try to immediately deflate them (maybe that's why they don't speak to me), by talking about something totally unrelated to entertaining. Anyway, here in the Café we know how to deal with "blarneyists" don't we? as I think has been demonstrated on a number of occasions.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I noticed that at magic clubs its not usually the loud mouth at the back of the room getting up whenever he can to show his latest trick that's got the most talent its usually the little guy in the corner practising that is the best, he soaks up knowledge like a sponge, where as the guy that likes to show off is exactley that and he is to big and clever for everyone else.
Remeber people that think they are the best usually aren't.
Matt
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Yeah, I found that the people who must blow their own horn so much are usually insecure because they aren't that good.

Some of these types even fall trap to their own hype. They just can't seem to separate over the top marketing and real life. These are also the types who, when they ask you how they did after they perform something, will only expect and accept a bunch of hollow platitudes.

I've got no time for them and have taken steps in the past few years to not spend any more of my time in their presence.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
It's not just a magic thing. There are folks like that in all walks of life.
I also agree with Ace that,quite often, musicians are more adept than magicians at being quietly brilliant.
George
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Often folks who are "recognized" as a busy pro...aren't nearly as talented or busy as the quiet unknowns.

One must learn the fine art of being able to promote himself for his business sake, yet remain humble and always willing to learn.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Ha, try joining a fishing club!
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
I believe nobody likes anyone who talks big unless you are at the pinnacle of your success.

But then, when you are there, you find nothing special anyway. :>

So, let's stick with the mindset that we are "ALWAYS student of magic".

Someone well-known said that he is always a student of magic. Who's that person? Dai Vernon?
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Quote:
On 2004-09-08 19:16, Magic.J.Manuel wrote:
Ha, try joining a fishing club!

Almost all organizations and associations have their own fair share of members who want to exercise their fisherman's bragging rights. You know, the fisherman's tall tales of "the fish this big I caught today" and the "big one that got away."

In magic circles their equivalent picturesque languages are "I slayed the audience last night"; "I blew the spectators' mind"; "I killed a chick with this last night"; "After my performance, people were picking their jaws on the floor"; and other violent imageries as a result of what? You guessed it. As a result of a mind-boggling performance of Scotch and Soda.

I should know. I brag a lot very often myself.

Like I'm doing now. Smile

Leo
Manila, Philippines
Romulo
View Profile
New user
Brazil
27 Posts

Profile of Romulo
It is like animals: chickens and ducks.

- Nobody knows when a duck puts an egg, because 'she' stays quit. But everybody knows when a chiken puts an egg, because 'she' yell out loud!

The principle is the same with this kind of person. They need to advertise themselves so that people know they are good or at least, seems to be good.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
In the magic club that I used to belong to, a core group of people always led the conversation. They didn't want to dominate, but no one else wanted to contribute (above and beyond merely showing up and sitting in an obscure corner of the room).

I remember that a recommendation was once made that every member would need to perform a 15 minute routine at least once per year. The rest of the group would then provide constructive criticism to help improve the routine. It would also allow members to overcome any anxieties or fears of performing, in a supportive environment.

The recommendation was voted down. As a result, the core group was left to carry the meetings. Being part of that core group, I didn't feel it was a fair flow of information and so, I eventually stoping attending.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2004-09-09 10:14, magicman845 wrote:

I remember that a recommendation was once made that every member would need to perform a 15 minute routine at least once per year. The rest of the group would then provide constructive criticism to help improve the routine. It would also allow members to overcome any anxieties or fears of performing, in a supportive environment.

This is going with the assumption that everyone attending a magic meeting is a performing magician. Not all are.
A good club is made up of people of diverse interests. Performers, hobbiests, enthusiests, scholars and just plain old fans.
Making someone whose interest is mainly history or collecting stand up and perform a 15 minute routine is asking a lot.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Boy is that ever true! A GOOD club should be a mix of all types, and those who are (or were) full timers should not have the attitude they are better than the others.

We are a Brotherhood !
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I agree with you whole heartedly. But there is only so much time in a day. I love to belong to magic clubs where I feel there is a free flow of information and everyone gets something out of it. But unfortunately, that is not always the case.

Historians of magic are extremely valuable, and our club took that into consideration as well. For those members who did not want to perform, we simply asked them to present a short paper on a topic of their choice. That way, they could contribute their knowledge to the other members.

Performers, hobbiests and enthusiasts all tend to perform at one time or another. Just because someone is not a professional performer does not mean he should not put on a professional performance. Anything less hurts the craft.

Even if you are simply beginning, if you are going to perform a trick, you should strive to perform it well. I think that's all the club was trying to do.

As for fans of magic, that was always a bone of contention. No so much because the club didn't realize their importance, but because of the potential for unnecessary exposure.

The consensus was that, if all a person wanted to do was watch magic, he should buy a ticket and go to a show. If all he ever wanted to do was learn the secrets, he should buy the tricks. Most members agreed that inviting such fans into the club would be tanatmount to inviting someone backstage after your show and disclosing how you did everything.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Entertainers "talking big" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL