The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Art of Street Performing II and III (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24226 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I placed an order last week for a half dozen of each of the Cellini DVD's, with one of my wholesalers. They had the first two in the computer, but the other two were in the shop, not categorized. I'm still waiting for them. I actually have orders to fill!

Computers! Love 'em. Hate 'em.

BTW, I just got through watching Jim's "Magic That Can be Performed Anywhare" DVD. It's a keeper!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5339 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Glad to hear that you liked it
thanks
koz
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5339 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey, did anyone get this thing yet
is it any good
tedb
justinho
View Profile
New user
sunny singapore
7 Posts

Profile of justinho
Hey ppl.. I've heard of the dvd you are all talking about, The Art of Street Performing. There is a store in singapore that carries it, I saw it the last time I went there, which was about a month ago, but I didn't buy it, I got another dvd instead. I visited the place again last week in hopes of it still being there, but the guy who owns the store told me that it has already been sold and there aren't any copies of the dvd left, sooo... I was juz wondering if you guys know of any websites that sell them? preferably all 3 volumes? and with a reasonable price, I'm all the way on the other side of the world, shipping here is not that cheap..;-)

cheers,
justin
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5339 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I sell them
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 20:09, tedb wrote:
Hey, did anyone get this thing yet
is it any good
tedb
Hehehe..if you are talking about :
"Magic That Can be Performed Anywhare"
yes..that was the very first DVD I got re Cellini's work and as I never had heared of him before I was immediately impressed !

His elegant (hatrim) handling of ageold stuff like *the loop ball* as well as the other stuff like the big coins, the handkerchief and the street style Gyspy..well simply everything showed, there was a master at work here..

I hadn't to think twice to recognize that and that very DVD got me to explore the rest of his stuff, to get his book, simply everything that is available..

Everything on that DVD is practical and usefyll stuff, though I find his preparation re the Gypsy-street style a bit timeconsuming, compared to the *normal* close-up version, but it can't be any other way..

The effect and his handling makes it worthwhile to do and use..one simply has to spend the time to prepare several cards whilst watching silly stuff on the tele.. Smile

I can't recommend the mentioned DVD:

"Magic That Can be Performed Anywhare"

highly enough..

and, BTW, the II and III of *the Art* are finally on its way to me..

No doubt worth every single dollar invested just to look through them...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5339 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well lets hope so! Smile
I just keep bringing this up cause I knopw the guy that produced it

tedb
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-16 11:49, tedb wrote:
Well lets hope so! Smile
I just keep bringing this up cause I knopw the guy that produced it

tedb
Ah come on Ted..don't waste your time by posting here..count the money instead..I can't imagine you are already through Smile

JUST KIDDING!! Smile Smile Smile Smile

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5339 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey Danny, did you get the Magic That Can Be Done Anywhere DVD yet?

koz
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Not yet Koz. When I do I will post a full report. According to Mike Close in Magic Magazine, it's a great DVD.

I can't wait to see it!

Best,
Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I will certainly second that DVD as real keeper.

As Koz knows, my first copy was stepped on and broken by a kid who was visiting with us, and went through the DVD stack he has told to stay away from, and I almost had withdrawals until I got another copy.

I do so much stuff of that DVD, it is ridiculous. And if I only paid $10 a trick, it would have cost me a hundred. But it didn't! Smile The DVD is priced very fairly.

To make it my own, I made up a cover off a sports illustrated magazine with a picture of a baseball on the inside. And I pull the baseball right off the page and then go into some manipulation with it. (my loopball looks just like a baseball. I have it in 1/ 1/2 inch and two inch sizes. depending on what I am carrying with me.) Plus I have one that the same but not looped, so I can do normal ball manips in context. And then I change the loop ball into a real baseball (instead of a lemon as Cellini does) then I produce small baseball ball bat (12" long) "from the magazine cover" and toss it out for examination and then I product a small leather baseball glove too.

Between the loop ball and normal ball stuff I do regularly now, and the stuff off of that DVD I am working on, that DVD is worth far more than the cost of it.

You flat out will be doing that magic almost immediately. It is easy, no knuck busters. But it is killer stuff.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I saw magic that can be performed anywhere DVD last night...Woofdy!

This is a magic DVD that makes you think. Some simple routines are given but really the focus of this disc is on the idea of the methods contained within.

Cellini shows you a simple (but killer) loop ball routine using a hat. He then climbs inside the device and points out that the possibilities are virtually endless. The disc seems to be begging the question, "What would YOU do with this?"

The same with Cellini's Devil's handkerchief. Cellini's routine for this trick is published in his book as well as his lecture notes. On the DVD I was waiting for him to do the routine for an audience...but he doesn't.

At first I was disappointed but then it dawned on me, he was giving me a gift. He was explaining the routine and removing HIS personality from it. Everything I need to perform the routine I have always envisioned IN MY HEAD is there. But I will not be biased by Cellini's personality, just his presentation. When that sunk in it was just another confirmation of Jim's genius as a performer. Jim explains the method AND the performance but you do not see HIM perform it in front of an audience. That to me is brilliant.

Jim learned a lot of this stuff directly from Tony Slydini. Slydini is the only performer who could make the hand washing and wild gesticulations look natural. Slydini's character was that of a physically expressive, and graceful, Italian wizard. He embodied it when he was doing magic, having a conversation, or eating soup.

Watching Cellini do Slydini's cornucopia flawlessly in the Slydini style and then he used a hat to do his own routine. Cellini's routine used no false moves or hand washing and really showed how you need to pull this stuff apart so that it suits you!

There is also some rare footage of Slydini and Joe Carson that floored me.

Stuff by Fred Kaps, Carson, and Slydini. Original stuff by Cellini and in depth flawless instruction by Cellini. This thing is amazing.

If you ask me, manipulation is something EVERY magician should know how to do. Just last week I did most of Cellini's cigarette routine at my son's new after care program when the supervisor said to me, "I hear you are a magician. Can you show me a trick?" I picked up two blue crayons out of a vat of them and did five minutes.

In my opinion, if you are going to call yourself a magician when asked to do a trick (because EVERYONE is a potential customer) you should be able to look around the room and find something that you can floor somebody with. You should not have to go to your pocket for a scotch and soda or the sponge bunnies. You should be your own magic. That can only be accomplished by knowing some manipulation. Cellini gave me that. It is here too. While talking about the loop ball Cellini also does a routine with a straight ball, no loop. I spent a week in Cape Cod last month and on the beach, in nothing but a bathing suit, I did five minutes with a rock for my son and his pals that I learned from Frank Garcia's book on the multiplying billiard balls.

This kind of manipulation if you ask me is the stuff that separates the Sigfrieds from the Roys. It is something you always have at your disposal and if you listen, Cellini tells you the same.

Finally, the production quality is once again off the hook! Kozmo and crew have produced these things like a Hollywood movie compared to the way most magic videos look. Let's face it most Magic videos look like they were shot in somebody's living room with a Sony Handy cam (and some of them have been!).

The three street work DVDs are also flawless in the production and really in all I can't believe that all of these discs have been home runs. I keep thinking, "They can't all be good, they can't all be different." But they are. It is a true testament to the depth of Cellini's knowledge on the art of magic.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13359 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
if you are going to call yourself a magician when asked to do a trick (because EVERYONE is a potential customer) you should be able to look around the room and find something that you can floor somebody with.

Well said Danny!!! I agree completely!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Just got *The Art* II and III and was busy to get through it..

I don't have the time to give a complete review of all this but I only can say this..

GET 'EM..

Buy these 2 DVDs and yes, I mean both of them!

Anybody, not only those interested in streetwork should have them/se them..

They contain both outstandingly valuable information re ANY branch of magic, not just streetwork..

Mind you..anybody that is able to draw a crowd, and not *just* draw, but get payed for his performance has a valuable message to you all..

Remember, none of the bypassers have to pay, they are passing by, if and when one has catched their attention and they spend the time watching and they don't have a timelimit re some other schedule of theirs, and they stay to the end of the show and PAY, THEN one is on the road, then one does have an act that is worth watching..

The info within those 2 DVDs gives you a chance to learn from the experience of ppl who have made it..

Anybody, in any field, is still and always will learn, it is a never ending process and that even goes for the guys giving their opinion re the *how to* on those DVDs..

Those of them, with 25 years or so experience, can't probably learn too much anymore re what can happen out there, but most can..

I -TBH- was surprised re some guy with a nicey beard and some white hair actually came up with a lot of wisdom and valuable info.. Smile, it really took me in..he had a lot of things to say, that matched my own thinking re perfoming and doing magic!

What I'm thinking of here, is mainly -apart from lots of other things he said- his filosofie of to do the stuff one already knows, the stuff one has done for years and stick to it..with the only goal to improve it by making it more entertaining, using new and better lines, when those come up, but DON'T care re all the new (even good) stuff that is thrown at you all the time..

I had that filosofie myself for many many years..and it is based on what Al Goshman once told me..and also had written in one of his earlier notes..:

*Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything..... *

That doesn't mean one couldn't have fun -if and when time allows- to play with new stuff and probably even one might be able to find some of the new stuff that is good and that is worth to add to ones little act, but it means what it says..stick to what has proven to be successfull for you and hone it to perfection..

Continue work on it..only then you will GTM in the end and can enjoy it and have fun..

For streetperformers it is GTM, for many others it is pleasure and fun, the principles are the same..you have to hone the stuff you are good at and not do a new trick/routine each and every week..

If you solely are performing for familie and friends, you are in trouble, because you can't repeat the same stuff for them over and over again, but in that case, you'll never become a good performer, never get a good act..

One only does get a good act, when doing the same stuff, before a living (different) audience time after time, again and again..

That is what made f.ex. Don Alan successfull, that is what made Al Goshman successfull.. and a lot of others!

BUT..and this is a big BUT, there are exeptions to the rule..

Ppl like Fred Kaps..he had his act standing, he honed it, but he still could enjoy playing with magic, as a hobby, and still developping new stuff and perfected it.

Another examples is Joachim (mentioned in another thread) he is of the same kind, so is Dave Williamson.

A guy like Johnny Paul *just* perfected his routines ( I didn't know him that well, so I don't know if he played around with magic also, but I doubt it, at least not after he was in his 50s).

Anyway, for not getting off topic..get those DVDs, don't mind that whitehaired gentleman with the nicey beard..what he says makes sense and as mentioned it surprised me Smile

GET THESE DVD's...that's my review re them.. Smile

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5339 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hum, white hair and a beard.....guy sounds very handsome

koz
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-20 13:31, tedb wrote:
Hum, white hair and a beard.....guy sounds very handsome

koz
He da*mnd is..I hate that kind of person Smile

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5339 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Smile

please buy these dvd's

kozmo
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hey Koz,

When are these going to be released main stream? I've been waiting to hear some outside buzz.

Best,

Dan-

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5339 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Mainstream?
they are on the market through murphys magic supplies...i haven't heard much about them....i think I need to call out there and see whats up?...i cant say

I would like to hear something myself...but as of yet theres nothing being talked about

I think they are entertaining dvd's ....ands the few that have talked about them seem to like them...thats about all I know

koz
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Danny..get a new aviator at this site..you're much better looking then the current pic shows ! Smile

Take my word for it Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Art of Street Performing II and III (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL