The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busker's Festival (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
There's an annual Busker's Festival in the Boston area. I just heard about it for the first time today, so I can't register to perform. But a google search showed that there are quite a few around the United States. What a wonderful thing! There are going to be contortionists, magicians, musicians, jugglers, and more. I'll be there, but alas, as a spectator.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oddly enough, I just did a google search for "Boston,Busker's Festival" and got nothing! Oh, lots of links on Busker's Festivals around the world (Where Christchurch?) which had people from Boston in them and a few references to First Night in Boston (wouldn't that be COLD?) But nothing on a specific Busker's Festival in Boston! Got a link?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Shorty
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
87 Posts

Profile of Shorty
Well, Kiwis maintain its in New Zealand

Greetings from Swaziland ähhhm Switzerland

Shorty
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I'm not sure Mandrake01, but I think it's held in Cambridge technically... in Harvard Square. I may be wrong though. When I lived in Boston I seem to remember that there was something along those lines happening in Harvard Square.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 22:23, WildStone wrote:
I'm not sure Mandrake01, but I think it's held in Cambridge technically... in Harvard Square. I may be wrong though. When I lived in Boston I seem to remember that there was something along those lines happening in Harvard Square.

Mike

Thanks! It's something I'd like to look into (as a spectator!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Info needed on busker activities in the Boston / Harvard area? This looks like a job for Danny Hustle!

(contortionists??? Yowza! I'll be HAPPY to go as a spectator & spectate them all day!)
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
The big Busker's festival is in Fanny Hall when they hold auditions to work the mall there. It is a pretty big event. Other obligations kept me from auditioning this year.

Harvard Square has several festivals during the summer months and lately this is about the only time you can make any real money there.

For several years now it has been said in the busking world that Harvard Square is the worst place to work. Fast crowds and no money.

I know a lot of guys who are moving north. I know several guys eying Portsmouth N.H. at the moment. Eddini might have to learn how to share a pitch. Smile

I haven't worked this summer due to a crap load of family obligations, and creating a new act. I actually have my stuff in the trunk of my car as I write this. I am hoping to get out and knock out a couple of shows tonight.

That's my two cents. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Folks,
What rick saw was an end of summer event being held at Faneuil Hall Marketplace ( also known as Quincy Market), one of the better places to street perform in Boston. Faneuil Hall ( which is private property and regulates who and when can street perform) allows street performing year round, although the height of the season is the summer months.

I was out of town working at an event in the DC area so I couldn't be there. So how was it?

The also organize a Street Performers Festival each year, over the Memorial Day Weekend. Again this is invite only event, because of the rules of performing on private property. Check http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com for details.

The other traditional spot for street performing is Harvard Square. The 'big pitch' is actually in Brattle Square (harvard square a block away has no space for circle shows). Performers are around most weekend spring, summer and fall, and are also present at several annual events organized by the Cambridge council of the arts and the Harvard Sq. Business Association.

In general, the term 'busking' and 'busker' are not used in the States, where the term 'street performer' is better understood. Canada has a number of street performer /busker festivals including Halifax (maybe the first in North America), Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto just to name a few.

In the states your best bet to see street performers is to look for larger urban events. I have had good luck finding performers or performing at "Taste of..." events or city Arts festival, like the old Atlanta Festival, before it moved to Independence Park.

Good Hunting.

Peter Gross
Boston Hystercial Society
http://www.funnymagic.com

Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Peter,

You rock.

For those of you that don't know, Peter is one of the regulars at Quincy market. He has a great show and has been doing the real work for a long, long, time.

First time I saw his show was bout 5 years ago after a Max Maven show at the Comedy Connection. I walked out side and here was this guy doing magic on the street. It was about ten P.M. and he closed with a silk and a TT. He had his audience going nuts with it.

I was so impressed I tucked a ten spot in his hat and decided to be a street performer. Anybody who could get that much mileage out of that trick had to be a real pro.

Best,

Dan-

P.S.

'Cmon Pete tell the truth. Quincy Market is the ONLY place in Boston where you can make any real money. Smile

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Dan -
Thanks for the impromtu resume and the ten spot. And thanks for letting me know about Max, maybe he wants to think about adding it to his resume (once opened for Peter Gross).

I often watch the comedians who are working that room come down and check out my show before going upstairs for theirs. Kevin Kneeland sat for two shows, Jeffery Ross commented that I probably had more people at my show than he would have at his early show (he had be scheduled to do a 6pm early show).

In terms of the money thing, yes Danny, you caught me; FHM is probably the best locale in Boston for making consistant money. I just don't like to make authoritative statements - unlike some performers - because I find that sometimes new performers, unbiased by 'the facts' can turn a spot around, or invent a new one. FHM also has so many restrictions now that it's difficult to get enough time to make whatever money you are looking for. Just ask Lucky Bob, the Daredevil Chicken Club or AL why they continue to work "the square."

Case in point, look at young Jason, who was so excited about performing, and so eager to work on new material that he spent the winter working the T stations. I can only assume he was making 'real' money, or he would have stopped after a while.

Many an hour have been spent discussing how Boston is ripe for new spots to be trailblazed. I'd tell you where I was thinking of working next, but I want to get a couple of shows in myself before the line begins to form behind me.

Besides FHM is a crappy place to start working. It has none of the adventure of working in the square, which is much more like working in the rest of the US.
All my good street performing stories come from the saturday nights I spent doing shows in the square. And the streets should about more than just the all mighty dollar. If you want to make good money, go into dentistry.
If you want adventure, hit the streets.

So stop counting your hats and after every show just count your blessings.

PG
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2004-09-21 15:51, suspectacts wrote:
So stop counting your hats and after every show just count your blessings.

PG

Pete,

I count both, twice. Smile

Some guys say a pitch is horrible so that everybody else doesn't decide to work there too. Smile

The Square will always be my home pitch. My day job as a computer network propeller head is in Harvard Square as well. I turned down a job that paid a lot more just to be closer to the pitch.

Best,

Dan-

P.S. Quincy is in Boston and Harvard Square is in The People's Republic of Cambridge (for those who don't know).

I've seen Al, Bobby, Jim, Brendan, and a lot of other guys make very respectable hats working the circle in HS.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busker's Festival (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL