The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » No-scissors C&R Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
troublewit
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of troublewit
In my interpretation of Tabary's routine, I use a "butterfly knife" for a simulated cut... (this type of knife opens up with a flourish which looks like a thug's switchblade, only not mechanical) I preface by saying I am performing my cut rope routine which I learned as a Cub Scout, and for nostalgia's sake, I always use my "Cub Scout Knife" which I have kept over the years.

Then, after the menacing opening of the knife, I pause a beat, and say "I was in cub scout pack 7 in East Chicago, and this was standard issue". This always gets a great laugh in Northwest Indiana, since East Chicago is notorious for it's Gang activity.

Also, as for non-knife cutting, I love Dan Garrett's gag in his kid's show, where he asks a child to cut the rope with their fingers. After it is "cut' by the child's fingers, Dan looks at the child in awe, and says "Hey... you're pretty sharp!"

Regards, Christopher
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I do Aldo Columbini's Mama Mia Rope Routine. I have to say That I can Differentiate between pity Applause and the real thing (I've had both in my time) and Aldo's routine uses two scissor-less cuts, amongst plenty of other stuff, and always goes down well.

There is another reason for not using scissors apart from money saving, and that is that you can then do it for "Table hopping and Party Strolling" again and again.

Aldo's routine has two versions, one that uses scissors, and starts with one piece of rope. I use this at every stand up, Parlour or kids show I do. And another Scissor-less version, which I do in walkaround situations. I don't think it is as strong as the full version, but it's as strong as anything I can reasonably do in that situation.

cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Andy,
Why couldn't you do a C and R with scissors, for table hopping?
After all, you have magically restored the rope, so you're right back where you started from!
Smile
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Quote:
On 2002-09-30 22:34, Darrin Cook wrote:
Some go with a non-knife routine in order to save rope.

I do a rope routine with "magic cutting," in which the knife is quickly waved at the rope, which is instantly cut. I think this passes just within the credibility line.

Does it pass? Maybe it's routined like the old gag where the performer points his finger to "shoot" something, a bang is heard, and the target (or person) falls over, etc.

The no-cut idea may pass, but I'm not convinced. I would agree that using a "no-cut" routine for the C&R effect is typically rationalized by magicians who want to economize on rope. It doesn't necessarily enhance the basic effect. Having said that, there are many very clever rope effects which do not use the C&R premise. If one is not inclined to cut a rope, why not use one of the multitude of other magic effects with a rope?
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I agree with Peter! Realism makes the trick.
In fact, I let someone else do the cutting.
This way, everyone knows it is truly cut.
Smile
Daniel Faith
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Interesting opinions.

I use the C&R in my kids show, and I get one of the older kids (or adults if no suitable youngster is present) to cut the rope. This does add to the 'realism' of the trick.

However it is interesting to me how many of us (myself included) expect the audience to believe that we can make things float, appear, disappear, change, move, etc - but we don't expect them to believe that we can cut a rope with no scissors!!

The funny thing is, the audience has the same opinion!! They believe we can float, appear, etc, but will often question our ability to cut a rope with no scissors!!

Just shows how strange human nature can be!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
This is/can be an interesting exercise in
"thinking like a magician." I fully agree that NOT using scissors seems to give the trick away... it makes me uncomfortable... I watch magicians do Daryl's rope routine and it's hard for me to see the "magic." I think it's like looking at those "Magic eye" pictures. Some people it jumps out at and for others they keep looking... That said,

I'VE SEEN THE AUDIENCE REALLY RESPOND TO SUCH ROUTINES!

That is the real test... not our theory of what's logical. Even though I don't see the magic myself, I think it's the absurdity of so many unexpected things happening... this flow in this type of routine would be interupted by taking the time to take out the old cutters and cut the rope... So I have to say, it doesn't make sense to me, but for those who have the audience sitting on the edge of their chairs with it.... BRAVO!
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » No-scissors C&R Rope (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL