The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Case Signage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I currently use a black rolon table (for those who don't know a Rolon table is a essentially two boxes on top of one another connected via a hinge which allows the top half to fold down over the bottom half for transporting)
and a table.

Both a very plain. You can see them here...http://www.funnybones.com.au/_borders/Tuggeranong.jpg

How do people cover/decorate their tables. I want to look fun but I want to get up from the magic stereotpyes.

Any ideas?
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I think it looks good, just black with your name printed in white. Maybe add shiny chrome castor wheels & a handle.

For mall shows like that I would want to maybe add a large 'Tricky Nick' banner and some balloon decorations.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
One of my friend used Axtell's magic drawing board as Signage at the start of the show and at the later part, he picked it up, and proceed with his talking picture routine...

Quite good idea...
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I would say it is to dull mine is a lot like your only red and gold lettering (untill I get my new one, I cant wait!) . Maybe a coloured caricture on the front the tricky Nick magic show.
Matt
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Just took our 20 year old Rolon to the rubbish (garbage) tip the other day along with many other items. We always had it bright blue and red with a comedy & tragedy mask crest on the front (hey, it's on the avatar). Not very imaginative, but we're not really into signage. For many, many years the Rolon did not carry magic tricks but tapes, electric leads, mikes etc. The thing probably weighed more than what was in it! Now use alloy clip-together (20 seconds) tables, red and black velvet covers with white hems. Drummers accessory (square and oblong) cases for carrying things.

Think a valid point here is that not only must your show look good but the things you carry stuff in must also look good! All our transportables - combo amp. cases, light boxes etc. now in shiny black (looks brilliant when unloading/loading). What must Customers think when some entertainers arrive carrying old holdalls or holiday luggage etc!!
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Every year Billy and I get together about this time to build our new magic boxes. They are our own design and we build them together sized around the props we are using in next years show. The maximum size is based on which ever is the biggest effect one of us is using. Once finished and painted we take them to the guy who signwrote our cars. Using the same cut out vinyl he puts our names on the boxes, See attachment.

Once that's done we give it a couple of coats of clear varnish, Matt not Gloss, to protect it. To protect the box in transit we make a cardboard cover which slots over the top with a hole in the top for the handle. This is covered by black gaffer tape. When it gets tatty I just re-cover it. A roll of gaffer tape every few months is cheaper and easier than re-painting the box, and the cardboard not only protects the box, but also the bookers paintwork when your carrying stuff in, no matter how careful you are the odd knock does occasionally happen, especially with exited kids jumping about.

Click here to view attached image.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Your table loks very smart Clive. How long do you two take to build them?
Matt
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Depends on the weather. If it's a good day we play golf, if it's a crap day we build. But that's only on days when we both don't have a show. So, it sometimes takes us a few weeks to build, but if we were to get stuck in, we could probably build them within a couple of days.

We also have a laugh discussing some of the post on the Café while we build the boxes.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
We also don't really build to a plan, we start with a rough idea and the biggest trick either of us is going to use, and then wing it. sometimes we'll finish 75% of the box realise plan A wasn't going to work and knock it apart and try plan B.

Also if we have any special features in the box we have to build the boxs left and right handed, as we each perform with our boxes on different sides.

This years task is to find a solution to the wand problem. We're looking at designing a built in wand stowage inside the box, which allows easy access to the wands. plus takes up as little room as possible, therefore maximising the space we have for other props. Microphones, balloon bags etc. We are also going away from the flat frontage and looking to have a more curved front.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
This years task is to find a solution to the wand problem. We're looking at designing a built in wand stowage inside the box, which allows easy access to the wands. plus takes up as little room as possible

HI,
From a pound saver shop I found a plain black soft PVC (looks leather) thing that had elastic (I think for holding pens)that I can slot my wands into it also has other pockets that I use for felt pens and breakaway fan, I roll it up then at the venue unrol it and fasten the velcro hanger (to fasten it to the car head rest) around the handle of my case so the wands are at the back of my case
phillip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Case Signage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL