The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Vampires and The Living (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Smile Ever since I was a little boy I've never gave up the thought that vampires existed until now. Smile
This may sound silly but everything about vamps fascinate me. The first movie of Count Dracula was awesome, then Interview with the vampire, the Breed, Fright Night 1&2, Vampire in Brooklyn,Blade and many other movies.. Smile
I don't know if they really exist but the little voice inside says they are true. Smile
What do you think guys? Do vampires exist? Do they live among us? Have they evolved to day walkers? Is Dracula still in his castle? Smile
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
No, I don't think they do, but I've always liked this story:

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/legends/croglin.html
chajodawg
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of chajodawg
I don't think that vampires exist, at least not as we know them from movies and books. There are, however, people who live their lives as vampires. This is far different from the real thing though. From what I understand, these people are into things like cutting themselves and others (consentually!) and tasting the blood. They don't go around biting people, they don't have to sleep in coffins during the day (although who knows, some might do it because they want to Smile). In today's world, vampires exist more like a cult.

I have also heard that vampirism exists as a disease...that some people actually drink blood becuase of some genetic disorder..weird huh?
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I've got my younger son convinced that his mom is a vampire...or at least half...on my dad's side. He tells his friends, too.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I'm pretty sure there were people who drank other peoples blood and it was because those people had an Iron deficency and they could get thier 'fix' from blood.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
There are 'Renfield syndrome' cases (people who feel the need to drink blood), but I sincerely doubt there are any 'undead.'

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There are people who will do EVERYTHING...there is nothing too gross for some people...nothing...if it can be concieved of and it is vile...there are some who will do it...self loathing plays a hand...there are even those who will strap C4 on themselves and blow them selves up amongst children so they can meet Virgins...

The BIG Comet/Asteroid is long over due.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
A good book to read (If one has the stomach for it) is "Vampires, Burial and Death: Folklore and Reality" by Paul Barber. It details how various cultures burial rituals led to Vampire Folklore.
Interesting, if somewhat dry reading
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2004-09-07 02:32, chajodawg wrote:
... I have also heard that vampirism exists as a disease...that some people actually drink blood becuase of some genetic disorder...weird huh?

Cultism aside, perhaps this would be a form of pica?
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Vampire Lore is EXTENSIVE. But keep in mind...that Vlad Tepes was not a Vampire at all..but a vicious Warlord...The Impaler.

"The word "vampire" was never used in connection with Vlad until long after Bram Stoker's novel appeared and it became popular to assume (incorrectly) that Vlad was Stoker's inspiration for his vampire Count."

Whether they be fictitious or real...they sure provide all of us with a sense of horror, entertainment, fear, and love.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
chajodawg
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of chajodawg
Quote:
On 2004-09-07 16:50, Laughing Otter wrote:
Cultism aside, perhaps this would be a form of pica?

Possibly, because people with this eating disorder tend to eat some strange things. However, I think consuming blood due to genetic disorder and eating disorder are two different things. Either way, their does actually seem to be medical conditions that cause people to drink blood.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Check this site http://www.sfogs.com it has pictures and news of the supernatural and vamps too.. It still makes me a believer.. Smile
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Looks like one of many sensationalist paranormal sites to me. The agenda is clearly to instill belief, rather than to simply report and analyze.

Good guideline for magicians:
Believe no reports of 'paranormal incidents' you hear or read about without testing the sources and seeking alternate reports. Believe only half of what you see (you might be misinterpreting the visual data).

While what a person chooses to believe is their own decision and priviledge, it is usually safer to be skeptical of claims than to be blindly accepting, especially when the source material has an agenda.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Their will always be an unexplained. Thier maybe vampires and all the other sort of paranormal but possibly not on this planet. Their must be another planet similar to our own.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I believe in vampires. In fact, just recently I saw one in a Denny's having breakfast with Bigfoot and The Loch Ness Monster.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Locky makes such a mess of the buffet table!
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
If there are vampires, we would have seen them on E4 in a new reality show by now.

-Francisco
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On 2004-09-09 15:11, El_Lamo wrote:
Locky makes such a mess of the buffet table!

And then have the nerve to ask you for "tree-fitty" (South Park)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What does it mean to not see one's reflection?

Or to only be active at night?

What does it remind you of... to have animal aspects?

Or to live off the lifeblood of others?

What might it mean for this to be somehow contagous?

Passed on by a bite? To take what should not be given.

Take as long as you want on this, you might not be too happy about some answers.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
I don't believe in them but I never really thought about it when I was younger
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Vampires and The Living (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL