The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making your own props. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
OK, I'm probably setting myself up for a major whupping here, but...

I don't use Bicycles, I use Hoyles. Rather than work with one brand and suddenly perform an Invisable Deck with a different brand, I made my own Invisable Deck with Hoyle cards and the coating spray.

Also, I tried to make a tiny little business card which I printed up on sticky back paper and stuck to the back of my "Out to Lunch" cards. 2 out of 3 people noticed there was "something stuck to the card" and thought it had to do with the trick. So I scanned the card into my computer and print out business cards with the Out to Lunch on the back.

I don't market these things, I'm just making them for my own uses. Am I evil? Smile Smile Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Well!

The "Out To Lunch" principle is explained in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Do you own that? (In fact, I think the trick in there is better than OTL itself.)

Personally I see no problem with making your own props for personal use, especially involving a principle as well-known as Invis Deck.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Making your own props is a great practice. It teaches you many things at once, and develops creativity. I have many props that I have produced...and it has saved me a lot of money and I have gained in knowledge.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Go ahead! Make your own props!

It's a good practice to get into and it saves money.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Yes, you're evil!

No, just kidding. I make my own props all the time.
thegospelmagicman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of thegospelmagicman
Making your own props is great. I can't tell you how many times I have made my own and customize it to the Message I wanted to convey. I can't tell you how much it gets your mind to thinking about magic. It does help you to be creative. Who knows, you might even come up with a "secret" you be able to market or share with us.

Blessings!
John
The Gospel Magic Man
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I love to take the time to reply to this post, but I'm too busy making my own props.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Heck, I used make props for sale and I don't even think you're evil! The cards are classic example... I think Tally Ho backs make far better looking manpulation cards. There's just something elegant and "old world" about the design. Since the "market" has by default gone almost exclusively to Bicycles the only way to get those is to homebrew them!
Now, if you take out an ad in MAGIC... then it becomes a different issue! I say, make away!
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thank you... wasn't going to stop, but I wasn't sure what the opinions would be!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
As I've mentioned in other forums, it's the name or the look of the prop that are the hangup. Ford Motor Company has no problem with your making your own automobile as long as it doesn't say "Mustang" or look exactly like a Mustang.
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
As long as you are not attempting to market them as your own for resale than you should have no problem as long as the item is in print.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
When I'm on the road and one of my props dosn't work. It's nice to fix or make a new one on the road.

Sometime you don't have time to order something for your show the next day when you need it now.

That's why I know how to made my own paper hat tear.

I've been at this for over 30 years and I tell you to learn all you can to keep your show going!

Emmett
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Hi Every one,

This is the thread I meant to post on, but posted on building open box table thread by mistake! Check it out!

OH,Emmett I couldn't agree with you more!

Steve Baker
Miracle Man Show
View Profile
New user
Indiana
56 Posts

Profile of Miracle Man Show
Half of the thrill of performing is when I've made my own prop, and I see it work well.
It's like the flyfisherman who catches a big trout on a fly that he tied.
Tom McCormick
"The Miracle Man Show"
There's only one Miracle Man, that's Jesus Christ; I just get to do a show about HIM.
www.themiraclemanshow.com
ceeswing
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of ceeswing
Who can help me to improve a c type nailwriter.
Any hints, tips would be welcome. I am thinking of improving the grip.

Regards
Cornelius
France
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making your own props. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL