The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How do you know when you have a great show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
I ask this question not for advice, but because it is an interesting thought. How do you know when you've "arrived"? As a performer, I am never satisfied with my act. I'm always planning the next routine that will make it bigger and better. And the more familiar I get with the show, the more I desire to make it ten times better. For example, I might have had a gig that went really great, and the client was very pleased, but two days later I could do it again for a different crowd and find that reactions were just OK. And all throughout the threads on this forum, advice is always given: "Make sure you have a great show before..." So my question stands: How do you know?
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
One sure sign is how many people come up afterwards and ask for your business card. An even better indicator is how many spin-off bookings you get from a show. If you have a great show, people will want you for their event.

The feeling of having "arrived" is a bit different. When you are so confident of your ability to pull off a decent show under even the most difficult conditions, you will have a sense of having arrived.

That level of confidence can only come after after doing hundreds of shows over many years (at least ten years IMHO). When you have experienced and overcome nearly every challenge that can arise when planning a show, you will be confident that, even if you confront a new challenge, it won't throw you. You know you have the ability to quickly figure out what needs to be done to pull off a great show. When you can do that, you have "arrived."
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
If you book your show and get a track record of happy clients that book you back over and over again - year after year...

Look back and at that point I would say that your making it!

Pulling off great shows and a track record of happy clients that book you back...

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
First, wanting to make your show better and better is something that should never go away.

Second, I agree that repeat bookings and spin-off bookings are a good sign that things are going right.

Also, listen carefully to what people say when they come up to you after the show. If you have a strong stage presence many people are too shy to approach. That's why it means so much when someone does. Of course, the person who booked you will probably tell you that they were very pleased with your show; if they don't, you have a real problem. They have a stake in believing that they planned a successful event, so kind words from them don't count for all that much.

What I look for is for people to tell me that they have never seen anything like that in their entire lives. I look for them to be amused, if I have done a light show, or pale, stunned and shaking if I have done a heavy one. You will probably not get that reaction for a kid's birthday party. They ask me how long I have been performing. For a psychic show, they should come up and tell you that you have a great gift, and ask for readings.

In Corinda's wonderful Thirteen Steps to Mentalism, he has advice on how to tell if you have a good trick. To paraphrase, if they come up and say, "That was a good trick," you have failed. If all the blood drains out of their face, they grab something solid to keep from fainting, and they can hardly talk except to babble something like, "That's impossible...," then you have a pretty good trick.

I know that many magicians strive for a lighter show that leaves everyone amused, but I say smack reality hard and make it ripple.

Yours,

Paul
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
I hate to sound cynical, but sometimes the way you know you have a good show is you catch other magicians doing YOUR material in THEIR shows.

It is however, much more encouraging to keep your own standards high and use repeat/spinoff bookings as a gauge.
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Another sign: You have settled into routines to where performing is as natural as breathing.
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
When every magician you know offers advice to make it better.

It means that you made enough of an impact to make them care, and to give you their opinion. That's how I know I'm on the right track. By critique.

"they only chase you cause you've got the ball."
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Right on Big Daddy. I gratefully accept and love to hear criticism and advice. Not only does it show that other magicians are interested in my work, but often times it's good advice and my magic benefits greatly from it.

Good advice - Always keep your resume up to date, and always listen closely to criticism from peers and from your audiences.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How do you know when you have a great show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL