The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Snowstorm in China- Trouble with holding and starting packets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMatt007
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
10 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt007
I personally use the Jumbo Snowstorm packets which I have found on http://www.themagicwarehouse.com. However, I have always had trouble holding the packet and actually getting it started.

I hold the packet and push through the middle with my thumb. It seems that I let too much out initially and it just falls to the floor. (What a waste.) When I do get it going, I am almost to the end of the packet.

What are your suggestions to making it last and separating every piece?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-Arthur C. Clarke

Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
-Tom Robbins
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, so take it kindly:

Practice.

I've never used the jumbo packets, but if they cause you that much trouble, switch to a different brand. I find it helps to think that I am "folding" the packet in half. Then I start the flow slowly and build from there. It took quite a few packets and a horrible mess in my rehearsal space to get the timing just right.

Good luck,

Richard
MagicMatt007
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
10 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt007
Thanks for the advice. What brand do you recommend? I know this topic has been covered, but there is so much out there.
-Arthur C. Clarke

Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
-Tom Robbins
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I have used a variety of brands. Dave Cressey I think makes a very good quality snowstorm. Stay away from the Indian versions. They are cheaper, and I've had little problem working with them, but I've heard a lot of complaints about them. I do the effect enough now. I'm thinking of making my own.

Good luck,

Richard
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7419 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A drop or two of water on the retaining packet will weaken it and make it easier to break open. You will have experiment where and how much to place on the retaining paper.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Somewhere in print is Phoa Yan Tiong's version. It is a fabulous setup and cannot be beat. Phoa was so strong when he fanned with a manual fan in hand, you thought he was using an electric fan. Oh, what a great act he had.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
322 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
I make my own snowstorm. Cut silk paper (I don't know if you use the same name anywhere else, but here in Portugal it is called silk paper. It's a very thin paper available in lots of different colours) in small pieces, roll them into a silk paper ball, and tape the end. Rips very easelly and you can make it as big as you want, mixe colours, mix mylar, etc.

Hope this helps.

Alex
Alex
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
Rtgreen has the idea. Practice. You can't buy a set of 12 snow storms, and expect to use 1 or 2 and use the rest for a show. It's gonna cost you money. It's the only way you can practice and get the feel for the "snow". Once you get it down, sell your act, and it will pay for all the snow storms you purchased for practicing.

Just punch your thumb into the packet and retain the snow in your fist. Slowly rub your fingers into your palm. As you continue to rub, you will start to let more and more out. It's all feel. Just practice.

Here's a good idea too:

If you practice over carpet around no furniture, you can pick up the snow with your hand when your done practicing, and use it again. Just place the snow in your palm, and practice the rubbing motions.

That Guy,
-Thad
MagicMatt007
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
10 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt007
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have practiced a lot, but I thought there was just something I was doing wrong.

I will continue to practice, however. I don't have a problem with the snow if it is already out of the packet (such as yanyak5 said on reusing the snow). The problem is punching out the initial pieces and attempting to hold them in my hand while getting them started. But like I said, thanks for the input, and I will keep practicing.
-Arthur C. Clarke

-Tom Robbins
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
I've seen some magicians fill their pocket with snow before the trick, and just grab a handful of it from the pocket. This is very dangerous, though, because the snow can easily spill out.
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
MagicMatt,

I too had problems with the Jumbo snowstorm, and just decided that I get the same reaction with the small packets and are much easier to handle.

Eddie
RonjoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island NY
138 Posts

Profile of RonjoMagic
Hello, This is Pete from ronjo.com we have The Larry Maples & Raven Snow Storms. These are the best I have seen. Wach gimick is thin and has three stacks of 1000 pcs of paper each. We have a whole section of Snow Storms (12 packs of individual colors & fans), but use this link so you can see the Snow Storm Set (book, fan and assorted colors). The book will help you more than you will ever know! http://www.ronjo.com/Merchant2/merchant.......e_Code=R Thanks guys.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Simply cut a slit or cross in the center of the packet with an NT cutter or Xacto knife. I do it on both sides. When you are ready, just squeeze the packet and release the pieces with your thumb and index finger. It works for me everytime.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I carefully remove the first layer of the retaining paper just before the performance and leave only the white threads to hold the square tissues.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Snowstorm in China- Trouble with holding and starting packets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL