The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rope through Body (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I love this effect I use it in every one of my shows. In my kids shows I tell of a Magi who did this effect on TV and I thought it was great! I tried it on my dog...You have heard of a half breed...I have a half dog... In my adult shows I tell the same story but I have a piece of paper from the law offices of Burton, Copperfield and Houdini. It is blank. I tell them to sign it and I will fill it in later, I learned this from my Bro. In Law the used car salesman...
Which do you like to use??
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
mip
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mip
Sorry, what is the question? I didn't quite understand ...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5276 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I use a number of “rope-thru-body” effects. I have used Sam Berlands version of the double rope (Grandma’s necklace) in the past to good effect. I also have used Bob Sheet’s “Hang Em High” a gimmicked version of the older Fantisio ungimmicked version.

However, I seem to fall back on the very first one I ever learned (in the early 60’s). It is U. F. Grant’s “Rope Thru Girl” from his little booklet on nightclub illusions. It uses one ungimmicked rope and can be done anytime, anywhere. It can be done impromptu if the house you are visiting has an 8-foot (or more) length of rope or cord.

I have also built and performed a version that Jack Gwynn used to perform. It is the “Turban Through Girl/Body”. This effect has a 10 foot long by 8 inch wide length of cloth (unbleached muslin) wrapped once around a volunteer and then pulled through al’ la the rope thru. It was a pain in the neck to make. I cut, hemmed and gimmicked (yes there is a gimmick) the fabric myself! I built this little jewel in the 1960’s to make a club act look larger. I still have it and it still works like a champ!

So there you have it! The four versions of “rope thru” that I have used (and still use!).

Hope this helps a little.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2002-08-16 07:19, mumblepeas wrote:

However, I seem to fall back on the very first one I ever learned (in the early 60’s). It is U. F. Grant’s “Rope Thru Girl” from his little booklet on nightclub illusions.

What's the name of the booklet? I'd love to have that bit in my arsenal.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5276 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Cfrye,

The name of the booklet is “Grant’s Nite Club Illusions” It was published by Abbott’s Magic Company. They may still carry it. It cost me $2.00 USD brand new in the early 60’s. It probably doesn’t cost much more than that today!

Good luck!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Wizard
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
142 Posts

Profile of Wizard
There is a totally new version of "Rope through Body" on the market.It is invented by Juan Pablo from Argentina. You have really to see it to believe it.It is not only a "Rope thru Body" it is a whole routine with different and unbelievable effects.
I really like this one !!!!!!
Wizard
FINIS CORONAT OPUS
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Hi Wizard
Where can we get Juan Pablo's routine?

Bill Smile
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Bill,

I've seen Juan Pablo's routine on sale at all the major online stores...MagicSmith, HocusPocus, etc.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1624 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Juan Pablo's routine is a collection of intriguing visual paradoxes -- the rope seems to go up the sleeve but then suddenly it's going around your back inside your coat.

And therein lies one condition: You have to be wearing a coat. It's an effect suited to a formal show.

Jerry
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
For a different twist on Rope Through Body I have used the yellow plastic tape that is used to cordon off an area. You can get the tape that say CAUTION at most big hardware store. If you know someone in the police dept. (on a friendly basis of course) you might talk them out of some that says "Crime Scene" on it. It can make for some interesting patter if you are creative.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
I've been using a rope thru the body (on myself) as a closer to a rope routine that I do for kids, but when my rope comes out the front of me the middle of it is red!

I was a little worried when I first started doing it that I would a) freak them out, and b) make it pretty obvious how it was done, but I haven't had any problems with a), and I still get kids (especially the bigger boys, surprisingly) coming up afterwards to ask me how I did it!

Cheers,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
I have used Bob Sheets "Hang Em' High" for years and it never fails to elicit a strong response. I use it for kids and adults. i also built Jim Steinmeyer's Houdini's Rope and it is very strong but I prefer not to use a prop so to speak. The image of a single rope is stronger in my opinion.
Timotheous
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Timotheous
I recently saw a performance on tv... 30 seconds to fame or something like that...

Well One guy was a mag. He put the rope behind his back and pulled it thru to the front. No big whoop. but wait there's more.

He pointed up as he was going to do it again.. and made the same motions.. but thise time it got stuck half way thru his body.. then he moved it up thru his body thru his ears.. and pulled on each end. (like a cartoon character would do..) then he pulled it thru his face and it was thru his nose... finally pulling it free?

This is a very good handleing for rope thru body and I'd like to obtain it if anyone knows where to pick up the gimmiked rope?

Later
Tim
Check out my first release!
"Timotheous Paradox"
http://www.cardmsg.com/magicfxshop/timotheous-paradox.htm
"Magic is real! We performers use tools to tap the magic that's within all of us" -Timotheous
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
1914 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I have had great success with Jeff Stewart’s routine and prop.

Is it just me, or is Doug really Phil Donahue?
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
You can do a pretty cool effect using beads over the rope and have someone cover them with their hands.
Timotheous
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Timotheous
David is that the prop and routine I sort of described?

If so I'll buy it..

Tim
Check out my first release!
"Timotheous Paradox"
http://www.cardmsg.com/magicfxshop/timotheous-paradox.htm
"Magic is real! We performers use tools to tap the magic that's within all of us" -Timotheous
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
548 Posts

Profile of debaser
Is jeff stewarts similar in appearence to jimmy fingers reputation?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3645 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I saw a great performance of Rope through body by Becky Blaney on YouTube.

I didn't know how she did it but I made my best guess up out of rope with knots at the ends and totally surprised my parter Tom with the mock up effect.

I later made it up for myself in the way I suspect most versions are made today. It works very well but I don't like to open with it because it is so strong and I don't like to wear it set up through a show to close [with] because I don't feel confident that it will stay in place throughout the show.

-Mary Mowder
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2638 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2002-09-08 18:27, Timotheous wrote:
I recently saw a performance on tv... 30 seconds to fame or something like that...

Well One guy was a mag. He put the rope behind his back and pulled it thru to the front. No big whoop. but wait there's more.

He pointed up as he was going to do it again.. and made the same motions.. but thise time it got stuck half way thru his body.. then he moved it up thru his body thru his ears.. and pulled on each end. (like a cartoon character would do..) then he pulled it thru his face and it was thru his nose... finally pulling it free?

This is a very good handleing for rope thru body and I'd like to obtain it if anyone knows where to pick up the gimmiked rope?

Later
Tim

I think that is 'Rope-u-tation' by Jimmy Finger. I think he's been on the Café
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Ron Daytons efect 'Quatro' is an ungimmicked passing of four coils formed from a twelve foot length of rope through the body of the performer once he has stepped into them and raised the loopd to waist heighth.
IT is on the Hung Up on ropes DVD

One pull and through.

K.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rope through Body (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL