The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Mercury Fold which is your favorite (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I use the Mercury Fold for my card to wallet. I really like the one Simeon Lovell does. The face down one. I know many teach it face up. Whick do you use?
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
I turn the deck face up and do it. Otherwise, you can see the face of the card before you unfold it, reducing the suspense.

Shane Wiker
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
To be technically correct, there is only one Mercury Card Fold, which appears in Expert Card Technique. The Mercury Card Fold can be used to fold a card into quarters with either the back or the face outward, depending on how the card is positioned when the fold is made. There is different fold there as well, which will fold it into sixths.

Tommy Wonder has a variation on the Mercury Card Fold which goes into sixths. (Different from the other one in ECT -- this is simply an extension of the Mercury Card Fold.)

Simon has an entirely different card fold which goes into fourths. It is, in a sense the opposite of the Mercury Card Fold in that it folds a card with the back out when starting with a face-down deck. The Mercury Card Fold will fold the card with the face out when starting from a face-down deck.

That said, I don't use any of them. I don't currently have any need to fold a card. Smile

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
On Simon Lovell "The Madness Behind The Methods". He teaches a way the card can be folded with the deck facing down.
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
WR,

I know of that method, but I just prefer turning the deck face up, fanning them to show that the card could be anywhere in the deck, doing the fold, putting the deck on the table, and having them look for their card.

Here's the part where I change from what most people do. Usually, when they are looking through the deck, I just casually put my hands in my pockets, and do "The Move." Of course, if someone is watching, I'll wait, but I've never been caught doing this. In fact, I did this a few days ago in my class for about 15 people, in front of the entire class, and not one person saw it (At least, that's what their stunned faces said). The advantage to doing this is that you can show your hand clearly empty before reaching in.

Shane Wiker
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Here's an alternative to folding the card in your pocket if you want to be able to show your hands empty. Personally, I don't worry about that, but I thought I'd share the idea. Cross your arms with your left arm in front of your right arm your right hand in your left armpit. Fold the card casually and leave it in your armpit (you're essentially using your armpit as a holdout). Later you can retrieve the card with your right hand, e.g., taking the "Jack Benny pose" where your right hand goes under your armpit and your left hand goes on your chin. The first person I saw use this technique was John Kennedy (a great magician by the way) but I don't know if it was original to him.

Larry
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1192 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Hey Guys,

Here is my version of the Mercury Card Fold. It was published in my monthly MUM column on October of 2000. I usually teach this during my lectures and it has received lot of praise.

The mercury card fold has two problems: 1) sound 2) the neatness of the second fold. It is fairly easy to get a good solid / even first fold. The second fold is where the noise occurs and also where most people have a problem of getting it even.

I offer my humble variation for your consideration. I hope this helps someone...

"Sleeves Up Mercury" By Cody S. Fisher

Effect: My variation of the Mercury Card Fold.

Method: You need to be wearing a jacket or a long-sleeved shirt. Control the card to be folded to the top of the deck. Turn the deck face up and hold it in your left hand. Hold it closer to the fingertips than normal. (Position is important) Grasp the deck from above with your right hand. Lower the right thumb so that it engages the inner end of the pack near the crotch of the right thumb. This places the length of the thumb below the deck. Slide your left hand inwards pressing up against the bottom card of the deck. The chosen card is now buckled in half. (This is the easy part...most everyone can do this quietly and neatly)

With all the fingers of your left hand, press the folded card against the extended right thumb to “partially” crease it for the second fold. Up to this point this is the same procedure for the original Mercury Card Fold. Here is where my variation occurs. You will now separate your hands and close your left fingers tightly to complete the second fold. This will give you an almost perfect fold. As you are doing this, reach with your left hand about half way up your right sleeve and pull it up. Now place the deck on top of the folded card in your left hand as you pull up your left sleeve with your right hand. Viola! You have the card folded into fourths under the deck in your left hand.

This entire action should look like you have done nothing more that pull up your sleeves. One motion blends into the next smoothly, making the fold imperceptible to the audience. The larger movement of pulling up the sleeve completely masks the smaller movement of the second fold. The separation of the card from the deck during the second fold eliminates any noise that is usually heard during this second fold.

Try this a few times...it can actually be done very slow and it is completely quite. During my lectures I actually have eveyone in the room get very quiet and still no one can hear it!

Credits: The inspiration for my humble variation came from Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue. The actual creation was an accident! One night during a performance, I accidentally pulled my sleeves up half way through the fold. It looked so good and felt so natural, I decided to leave it in!

Again, I hope this helps you guys out!

Cody S. Fisher
MUM Magazine
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Cody - EXCELLENT!! I can't thank you enough for that...I would like to add something though...You don't necessarily NEED sleeves to perform Mr. Fisher's variation...You could go and scratch your elbow while performing the second move or make some statement like: "Notice that I don't have any sleeves" or some type of misdirection while you make nearly the same motion as pulling up your sleeves.

Another ALTERNATIVE to the Mercury Fold is John Bannon's Lightning Fold Revisted found in Smoke & Mirrors...The fold is basically done under motions with the cards that you probably do all the time during a performance without knowing...It's quiet too!

That's the one I use...
~joeKing
dfeder
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dfeder
Okay, so what is the difference between the Mercury Card Fold and the Phoenix Card Fold that Jay Sankey does?
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I use a top palm then fold the card in six sections in one hand. This method was taught on a Doug Bruer (sp?) DVD. It hasn't failed me yet.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Quote:
On 2004-09-09 16:58, JimMaloney wrote:
To be technically correct, there is only one Mercury Card Fold, which appears in Expert Card Technique.

Tommy Wonder has a variation on the Mercury Card Fold which goes into sixths.

Actually, to be really technically correct, Tommy Wonder's fold ends up with the card in eighths, since it's the Mercury fold (quarters) folded once more in half. Unless there's a new mathematic principle he created...
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-09-10 09:47, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Actually, to be really technically correct, Tommy Wonder's fold ends up with the card in eighths, since it's the Mercury fold (quarters) folded once more in half. Unless there's a new mathematic principle he created...

You are correct. You'd think after taking three levels of calculus, I'd be able to do some simple math. Sheesh... Smile

-Jim

Quote:
On 2004-09-10 07:59, dfeder wrote:
Okay, so what is the difference between the Mercury Card Fold and the Phoenix Card Fold that Jay Sankey does?

As far as I know, Jay Sankey uses the Mercury Card Fold. (For @#X!, at least) (Wow, I even spelled @#X! correctly from memory...and yet I still can't do simple math.) I'm not familiar with the Phoenix Card Fold -- where does he describe that?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
WOW! Thanks for all the input. I guess you dod what feels the best.
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
There are many variations on folding cards. Steeve Bedwell has one under the guise of a Convincing control that is quite good. David Harkey does the mercury fold slowly under the guise of a squaring motion. Very good indeed. John Bannon has at least three variations on the card fold. David Stone does the Mercury card fold with one hand only. Mike Ammar has a pretty good one too in one of his lecture notes. Take your pick there is plenty to choose from.
pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
I tend to use the traditional `Paperclipped` mercury fold technique. Does any one know of any good sources for effects using the fold?
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
That was the same one I was using. I got off sanky II papercliped effect.
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
David Williamson's Torn and Restored Transpo is a great 3-phase effect using (among other sleights) the Mercury Fold. It's on his Sleight of Dave video, which is just out on DVD, I think.

Quote:
On 2004-09-10 13:34, pkmagic wrote:
I tend to use the traditional `Paperclipped` mercury fold technique. Does any one know of any good sources for effects using the fold?
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I use a six way fold after a palm which gives a nice, tight fold that fits beautifully into a matchbox.
magicmandb1
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
30 Posts

Profile of magicmandb1
I like using it for the paperclipped trick.
"If a tree falls in a forest, and thier's nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?"
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
393 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
An excellent alternative to the Mercury Fold can be found in John Bannon's "Impossibillia." It's called "Creased Lightning", it's done in two steps, but can be done slowly, and had great cover.
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Mercury Fold which is your favorite (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL