The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The bad magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
833 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I am thinking of an act, not a presentation for a trick, in which I portray a "bad magician" with all the cliches and stupid remarks and overexposed magic...except that even as I appear to be a first class idiot and apparently exposing the methods and so on, in the end I have performed some extremely baffling superb magic.

I don't know if this would only work in a magic for magicians context, and I'm not sure how I would do it or what I would do, but I am thinking back to Carl Ballantine, Foster Brooks, and some of Marlo's slum magic pitches. Unlike Foster though, I would not be playing a drunk and I envision the act for closeup not stage. And the persona would be of one who was oblivious how hackneyed he was, not someone under the influence.

I could almost see this going to Andy Kaufman lengths of apparent obliviousness, but maybe not.

Have I got anything here? Just a germ of an idea, if that...is it being done?

Any thoughts on this?
ivan7
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of ivan7
Lol, yeah its being done, but not intentionally. A lot of the magicians I've seen recently fit the "someone who is oblivious to how hackneyed he was" description. Of course, they didn't end up doing extremely baffling superb magic at the end of things.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Notes:

Bumbling...ok...stumbling...ok...fumbling...ok...
All while effecting clever/surprise finishes..ok...within context.

Sounds like you will be trying to do magical "x" and actually magical "y" is what appears...if so, magical "y" would be as much to your surprise as your guests'.

But Exposing?...not ok. I'm sticking to my guns. I've never been and never ever will be convinced that exposure in performance helps people and events magical ever, never, never...

The exception being persons magical sharing ideas amongst themselves.

22 centavos (approx. 2 cents)

Patrick Differ
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
833 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I agree with you completely re exposing MRD. although in one Marlo routine I am thinking of, he does expose the (widely known) secret indirectly by "proving" he could not be using that method (then he uses that method anyway, but in a different way).

But I was more interested in "exposing" the self-centered need for attention of the bad magician as compared with the outward focus of the good magician (toward his audience). The clueless magician is as oblvious to his audience's reaction as he is to whether he is exposing his methods.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Curious...how will you end it?
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
South Yorkshire, England
609 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Check out some of Tommy Coopers stuff.
One day I will write a book

www.jordanwaller.tumblr.com

website coming soon...
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
833 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I just discovered a good Tommy Cooper website:

http://justlikethat.homestead.com/

Yes, I wish I could have seen him.

Here's one of his lines:

"So I was getting into my car, and this bloke says to me "Can
you give me a lift?" I said "Sure, you look great, the world's your
oyster, go for it.'

Ha ha! Thanks much for the tip, Jordan.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
The best routine of that type (besides Tomasoni) that I have seen was a skit performed by Dick VanDyke as "Roboto the Great."
Dick did a mannequin, clockwork magician, doing the entire "jerk and swivel" robotic movements, while maintaining the frozen, pasted-on, toothy smile. His male assistant, in the classic 'Kellar assistant' uniform, was also an 'automaton.'
'Bits' included miscalculating the cut & restored rope; Roboto cuts off his own hand with the scissors, and then the intact hand and the arm with the missing hand continue to go through the 'knot tying' and restoration actions with the rope that's no longer there.
Another gag was doing the canary cage. After Roboto has placed the canary in the paper bag, he lifts a revolver and shoots too low, under the bag, hitting the assistant. The assistant, still smiling rigidly, falls over and lays on his side, his arms and legs still moving in a stilted, wind-up-soldier, walking motion.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
There is also a good idea for this sort of thing in Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms, called "The Haunted Conjuror."

In it, a sort of dopey magician relates the tale of his earlier encounter with an Obeah man who put a curse on him. He worries aloud about his show. His hat-and-dice routine involving a large black die with white spots and a large white die with black spots and two hats comes to an odd conclusion when the dice transform into guinea pigs - one black with white spots and one white with black spots. There are some more ideas about this routine in the book.

Another idea from the same book is to pitch a dazzling show by Mysterioso the Illusionist, with beautiful props, fog and music. Mysterioso doesn't show up, and some hack in a plaid sports coat with Coke-bottle glasses tries to stand in for him. Of course, the props are all genuinely magical, but aren't really under the control of the stand-in. Think Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice in Fantasia. This could be really funny, with the comic tension between real magic and someone who looks like a used-car salesman.

Cool ideas from a great book.

Yours,

Paul
bierergoggles
View Profile
New user
California
4 Posts

Profile of bierergoggles
I have seen John Armstrong preform on many occassions. Johns performance is a far cry from his normal personlity. In his act he is a ackward, nervous and high strung, hyper active magician, however he does not really expose or bumble his tricks. He uses this personality to his advantage by doing ackward things to produce magic, as in getting so nervous he coughs up cards etc, Also his fast talking and quick wit makes for a light hearted and entertaining presentations which also disarms the audience which causes his effects to hit harder. Nothing he does though even resembles a slip up or exposer, nor is he sloppy. You would have to see him to understand, and I hope everyone gets a chance to, because I feel he is the most entertaining person to watch with a deck of cards, and I have seen some of the best.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2250 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I has been done. "The Masked Magician" with out the brilliant superior magical effect after.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » The bad magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL