The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Dress (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
As a fan of magic I have a criticism. I have to be impolite and say, I think some of you guys are getting a bit scruffy and should go out looking like a magician used to , immaculate.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Amen.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-09-10 00:23, tommy wrote:
As a fan of magic I have a criticism. I have to be impolite and say, I think some of you guys are getting a bit scruffy and should go out looking like a magician used to , immaculate.

Agree entirely.

You have to be a least one level above the patrons.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Looking good is one thing, but looking dated or old-fashioned is another. Quite frankly, I think the days of black tuxedos should go the way of the dodo.

And don't get me started on those hideous vests with the cards printed all over them!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
BlendoSquid
View Profile
Regular user
UK
140 Posts

Profile of BlendoSquid
Yeah the days of tuxedos are over for the younger generation, however they are a must at classy events.
tensai
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of tensai
It all depends on your situation there is a time and a place for everything but you should look good when you perform.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Forgive me Paula, I was not thinking of the lady magicians. They are all well groomed and dressed immaculately and indeed look magical.

Not being a professional, I am not sure if I know what I am talking about, but it seem to me that magicians, should want to convince their public that they are magicians, and not just ordinary guys who can do great tricks. I think dressing the part helps. Even David Blaine, I think dresses the part, that is some sort of poor eastern guru from the streets. I think a magician must ask himself what kind of magician am I playing the part of, and dress accordingly. Of late, I mean over a number of years, it seems to me a lot of magicians have lost the plot. A lesson can be learnt from the great actor Robert De Niro, he not only acts the part but dresses the parts to perfection. The people know he is not Don Vito Corleone or Jake La Motta as well as they know that you are not a magician, but it does not stop him making a great effort to convince the public that he is.
My personal image of a magician is a black tux the same as my idea of a cowboy is a cowboy hat a colt 45. Unless there is a clearly defined reason for not dressing the part, it should be. I hope that makes some sense even to a young generation.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
Quite frankly, I think the days of black tuxedos should go the way of the dodo.

Lotta guys felt that way in the 70s.

Now they live in fear of their prom photos being made public.

With you on the vests, tho.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Al Koran lectured in Chicago, leading off with, "You all have more than enough magic tricks, now go out and buy the best, most expensive clothing you can afford."

Note: He didn't say, "Tux" -- he implied you should be the best dressed person where you are working.

Good taste is paramount.

If you do wear a tux, make sure it is the most stylish and original looking you can find, or have made. You don't want to look like you just came from a restaurant where you work as a waiter.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2004-09-10 08:42, Reis O'Brien wrote:
. . . I think the days of black tuxedos should go the way of the dodo.

I'm sure that Johnny Ace Palmer would (respectfully) disagree with you.
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Doing magic in a tux is one thing, but when birds start appearing, and I know they've been hiding somewhere on that poor fellow...yuck.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Kevin

The days of the black tux and perfect attire are over for the younger generetion BUT ONLY FOR THOSE OF POOR TASTE who think dressing 'down' like a slob is 'in'. Dressing like "I don't give a d****d what you think!" Is only acting the part of a smart a** or a homeless person. Give this profession the respect it deserves and dress to the nines while performing. This doesn't mean that you must wear a tux, but one should dress appropriately, if you dress poorly the tip off is you don't make enough with your magic to afford to dress in good clothes. Dressing professionally makes a statement and gives you the edge; it says "Don't even think about it. - I'm a professional and I'm here to prove it."

YOU should think about it.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I haven't seen a lot of professional magicians in my time, but when I think back on who the best ones were, coincidentally (perhaps), they were also some of the best dressed. John Carney, Nate Kranzo, Johnny Thompson, Patrick Page: these are some of the better magicians I've seen, and while they didn't dress in tuxedos, they did dress in a classy way. The moment they walked on stage they seemed like professionals.

Let's put it this way: if you were taking that special someone out on a date and you wanted to impress, would you wear ripped up jeans and an old tshirt?
tjo'
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
And don't get me started on those hideous vests with the cards printed all over them!

Where can I find one of those? I am trying to put together an act called "The Embarrassingly Clueless Magician," which I have broached in the "We Double Dare You" forum. My friends call it type casting. Well, they would, if I had any friends.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
When a man looks at a woman, he imagines how she would look wearing no clothes.

When a woman looks at a man, she imagines how he would look wearing better clothes.

Fulfill her fantasy!

;)
Themagicquest
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Califorina
57 Posts

Profile of Themagicquest
Ok lets see... I like looking classey at a gig, but at the same time if I'm going to go and do some "street" magic I'm going to go in street garb. If I showed up to a kids party that is kinda cheese I'm not gonna tux it up to make it seem even more cheesy. unless that's the feeling of the show.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sometimes your attire is not up to you. Someimes it is specified by the client. When I work strolling gigs, if I'm not working as Merlin, I will be working at a formal affair, and I will be required to wear a tuxedo.

The last tux I bought cost me more than a grand. It's tailored to fit me like a glove. Too bad. I needed pants.

But, seriously, scruffy clothing shows contempt for your client and contempt for the art. We don't need that. An imaginative costume that is clean is fine in my book, but a ratty tuxedo is as offensive to me as a dirty sweatshirt and baggy pants.

Your attire tells the client more about you than your magic does. If you create a bad first impression, you won't have a chance to create a second one.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
amadrigal
View Profile
New user
Bolingbrook IL
79 Posts

Profile of amadrigal
I started the Business Casual look then realized my folley and went Ammarish shirt and coat no tie unless the gig warranted it but does that mean my F*** Y** hat should be left at home???
Just Kidding
If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
Harry S Truman (1884 - 1972)
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
And what's with the backwards baseball caps? I always have to ask buskers whether they are doing an escape or break dancing.
LP Parker
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of LP Parker
I think more people should dress in purple zoot suits....=()
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Dress (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL