The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Dress (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
tikiman
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of tikiman
To each his own as long as you look good.

Some people look horrible in a tux, some make it work. Some can wear jack boots and get away with it and well you get my point.

Jeff McBride said on one of his tapes somewhere that you should always be dressed like you have someplace better to go after the show. I agree.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
As I recall, the whole "magician in a suit" thing started when Robert Houdin decided to do magic and bring it from the "Merlin" look to the "polite society" fashionable look - for his time. And thus magicians have been stuck in suits ever since. Until, this hippie came out wearing brightly colored jumpsuits and T-Shirts.

I think the situation is the thing. Often, in the big shows, the magician will change his outfit multiple times. Wisely most of them realize that ties do nothing but get caught in illusions or catch on fire. (Yes, I hate ties.)
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
ZZ Top said it best about the well-dressed man, folks. Nothing sells like class. I learned this the hard way and thanks to my loving wife ana manager (same person) I am now far better dressed for stage (and regular life) than ever before.

And that translates to well paid, high profile gigs like Sandals, the Kraft Foods New Product Show, the rollout of the Serta Mattress Comapny's "Counting Sheep" ad campaign, work for the makers of Prevacid (at their national sales meeting) and a host of others, including Oprah's new year's party.

So, look to GQ for what the well dressed man is wearing. I will not address the ladies, as I am, personally, fashion unconscious (but I have great direction and am smart enough to follow it!).

;)

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Looks like I may be of a different opinion than most posting here

With rare exception when I see a "magician" in a tux I start to think of Professor Hinkle from Frosty the Snowman. To me it most cases it conjures images of stale works that have been seen and done many times. No fun and stuffy, the look at "me" crowd while I do linking rings and doves

Of course there are exceptions, am sure there are many working that come out in a tux that would blow me away, give excellent performances and make their spectators and employers happy

Agreed one should dress well/professionally. It's very important to fit your personality and the venue/occasion.

That's why I tend to dress in gothic, victorian or edwardian clothes as they fit my style and personality. Sometimes the jackets come off for escape work (some of my outfits are a little more pricey than some tuxedos)

Will admit to having worn 3 different hats in one show as I was changing acts. Felt more at home showing why spectators should not gamble while I wearing a fedora and rolling up my sleeves

To each there own, I do take umbrage with statements that imply there is only one way to dress or we should dress to standards that are not our own

Professionalism, connecting with our audience, giving the spectators something that touches them, something that wows them and something they will remember and pleasing our employers are what matters

Something for your consideration
When I think back to the best acts I've seen none of them were in tuxs
How about your experiences?
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Dress (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL