The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What have I got myself into now?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Theamazing...
View Profile
New user
Daytona Beach, FL
30 Posts

Profile of Theamazing...
Hey guys, let me describe my situation and maybe some of you could help. First off, I'm a full time working musician with my own band, and work regularly just about anywhere a band can play in Daytona Beach and surrounding areas. I got a gig at The Hilton Resort about 2 months ago, and have been playing 3 weekends a month there straight. Just about a week ago I got the idea to present the Hilton management with a "Magic and Music" package. If it works, I'll be performing table magic before the music show, as well as in between our sets. Most likely 15 minutes at a time. I do have some limited experience with magic, but I'm afraid not enough. Right now I'm thinking about using these tricks.
1. Cut and Restore Rope
2. Disappearing/Reappearing Silk....or disappearing lit cigarette. "thumb t."
3. An ITR for floating bill or tissue.
4. Envelope Please deck..."marked deck" where my band onstage can participate. "Using formula 13"
5. I have the "Psychokinetic Silverware" video by Gerry And Banacheck. I won't have to start till October so I have time to practice.
6. The "Raven" gimmick for "watch stopping" or "penny to Dime"
7. Rubber band handcuffs. “The effect where two rubber bands pass through each other. Not sure of the name, I think it’s handcuffs.”
8. I have the "water to solid gag powder and the Dancing Cane to perform onstage before I hit the crowd to hopefully gain their attention, and prompt them that I’ll also be performing magic.

I really don't know if I'm going in the right direction here. I've performed tricks and magic in front of friends and family for years, and I have a good understanding of the entertainment business. I also am reading many of the posts regarding " the edicts of table hopping and rule of thumb advice." Thanks for both guys!! If any of the above tricks are a NO for what I'm trying to do, please let me know. Also, if there is anything I should probably add, as a solid trick or effect, I would love to hear it. So please help, I would greatly appreciate ANY advice from anyone that knows the business.
Thanks!
Vic
Smile
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Hi Vic,
I won't comment on the list of effects you posted. But what about tricks and presentations, that are built around music and deal with you beeing a musician-magician?

For example, you could do mental effects with song titles or you could have a spectator think of a song and suddenly the band starts playing it.
You could perform ring on stick with a drum stick, coin tricks with guitar pics, etc.

These are just some rough ideas. I am sure there are many more possibilities if you think about it, and I believe this approach has a lot of potential.

-Uli
Theamazing...
View Profile
New user
Daytona Beach, FL
30 Posts

Profile of Theamazing...
Thanks Uli!
Hey those are really great ideas. I'm not sure of how we could play a song someone is thinking, but using props from the band is an awsome idea. I'll look into the ring on drum stick idea, and using pics, awsome!
Thanks for your input Uli!

-Vic Smile
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Hey Vic,
don't forget the most obvious idea: A drum stick is the perfect magic wand! Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Vic,
With your entertainment background, I don't see how you can go wrong.
As for the tricks, my only suggestion would be not to do too many of them.
A rule of thumb for table hopping is usually three sets of three tricks, for a total of nine -- and that would be the maximum.
But basically the concept and your presentation of it sound great.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Theamazing...
View Profile
New user
Daytona Beach, FL
30 Posts

Profile of Theamazing...
Thanks Peter for the encouragment. Do you think that the tricks I have picked are good ones, or that I should look at using other ones? Anyones in particular that are a sure hit?
Thanks again!
VIc Smile
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Any trick that is done well will be a sure hit. IMO, my tricks were way too long so I began experimenting and have found that if you keep a trick 2 and 4 min. it is best. As well, I try to use as many table props as I can (sugar packets, knives, forks etc., always making sure I get permission from the person dining and get them a new one after.)A lot of the tricks I've used can be found on the video, "Magically Delicious" by Steve Fearson. Many of those tricks coincide with what I said above. If you are interested, the lastest name for the rubberband trick is "Crazy Man's Handcuffs" by Michael Ammar (SP?)
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
OOPS, I didn't read Peter's observations first, his makes better sense than my rambling.

(Aside to myself: Must read all posts in a thread before adding my two cents.)
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Hiya.

I like to do more than one effect with a prop.

For instance, I open with borrowed ring on band, into a version of Crazy Man's handcuffs, into band around wrist frim Greg Wilson's On the Spot Video. That way it all seems to flow better.

Check out also, Aldo Columbini's Mama Mia rope routine for about 5 minutes of great entertainment with a length of rope, Which includes Cut and restored, cutting the ends off, and Proffessor's nightmare. Brilliant routine.

Two words "Sponge Bunnies". People love em.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Theamazing...
View Profile
New user
Daytona Beach, FL
30 Posts

Profile of Theamazing...
Thanks Andy and x-treem! Your advice was most helpful!
-Vic
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
For a ring on the drumstick routine, see Jim Ryan's "Ring, Rope and Rod" in Jerry Mentzer's book "Magic With Finger Rings".

You'll find that pocket management will become a real issue, when doing walk-around magic. I avoid using IT because I can't depend on the lighting to be right.
Theamazing...
View Profile
New user
Daytona Beach, FL
30 Posts

Profile of Theamazing...
Cool, Thanks for the info!
-Vic Smile
mtmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of mtmagic
if you do any card work at all think about learning a card under drink routine, in your situation it would be a killer.
sleightly_impressive
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of sleightly_impressive
VIC-

Many maentalism effects could be modified to have your band play the song someone is thinking of. IE "foce" a title on them. IF you want some help in this area, PM me and I'll go into more detail on the workings.

Hope this helps!
SI Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What have I got myself into now?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL