The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Problem With Balloons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Ever since I was a young 'un I have had a problem with loud sudden noises. Don't know how this came about, but I still have it. So when I am making balloons at or before birthday parties and one pops I jump out of my skin. The bottom line is that I don't want to offer these as an add-on any more (that and everyone else around here does balloons as well.) I was thinking of colouring pictures for the younger ones and Assistant Magicians Certificates for the older children. What else is there to give out? If this topic has been discussed before, then I'd appreciate someone directing me to the link.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Harv
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Harv -

You might be interested in this thread on the KidAbra forum: KidAbra Forum thread titled... Alternati......Parties.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
There are a lot of alternatives to balloons. Colouring pages are good, especially if they are a cartoon of you or something that is not a generic magic picture.

The certificates are also good as you can make them yourself on computer and print them as you need them.

What ever you give, just make sure your contact info is on it!
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
I used to give a way badges but decided to change to something else because they took to long to make. I now give away door hangers, the kind of thing you see on hotel door handles saying 'do not disturb'. These say 'Shhhhhh - Magic Happening' It also has a picture of me on it. The kids love them, I had 10,000 printed to save me all the hassle of having to make them. I tell kids that if they hang it on their bedroom door, they can practice being a magician, and one day they might be as good as Harry Potter, or me.

On top of that, I also give away about 30 small prizes during the party games, and a modelling balloon for every child to take home (providing there is less than 30 kids)
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
The magic helpers get a certificate and a special balloon, I give out about 30 prizes during the games, the best behaved loudest magic word shouter gets a spoecial balloon and all the kids get baloons to take home, plus a postcard with my details on one side and a magic trick (jumping bands) on the other
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I too find balloons stressful Harv! Although I do a short modelling session. What really gets on my nerves is when you've worked all day and are packing away, how parents sometimes bring down their decorative balloons off the walls and start stamping on them to dispose of them! This is made worse in large halls void of much soundproofing (few curtains/not much carpet etc.) Always nice to get into the car on the way home listening to Classic FM! If I started to give promotional gifts I'd probably use fridge/freezer magnets - would imagine these have a long life.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Tony you should stay away from China during their new year’s celebrations. In most of the cities traditional firecrackers have been banned due to safety concerns. So everyone stomps on over inflated balloons to recreate the sound of the fireworks. AHhhoooiiyah… That is worse than finger nails down the blackboard.

The Ed Harris Mystery Dollar is a good giveaway. Better yet get an artist to help you create something unique to you like Billy has done. Ideally you want a choice of a few different giveaways so you always have something age appropriate. Those roll up wands with either a colouring in picture or simple magic trick instructions would be great. That way you can also use the giveaway wands to do some tricks with. Look thru them to make a hole in your hand etc... (PM me if you don't know what I mean).

What ever you use get printed up in bulk.

Billy I love your door hanger idea. Can you post me one for my bedroom door?
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Thanks for the input gents. I'm going to check out the Kidabra site now, but please keep the ideas coming.

Much appreciated!

Harv
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
What about orgami, fun newspaper hats or napkin folding?
Paper airplains are fun!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I do some quick games (hop like a bunny, make a silly face, who can sing happy birthday the loudest ... no, I mean the softest) and everybody wins - they get their prize as they come up to pet the bunny.

The prizes are gold-coin-style plastic rings, with alternative heart-shaped bracelets for those little guys who might put the rings in their mouth and choke.

Avail from http://www.rinovelty.com or from U.S. Toy or from Oriental (but I'm bored with Oriental.)
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
No problem Andy, on it's way ;-)
thegospelmagicman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of thegospelmagicman
Are you able to draw? You might consider doing caricatures if you are willing to do them and do not have too large crowd. You can draw a caricature is about a minute or two (with practice of course). I've done these at some of mine and the response has been tremendous. Just make sure you have an idea of how many you'll need to do before you go so you'll know if you can handle doing that many.

John
The Gospel Magic Man
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
62 Posts

Profile of markmagic
Agree with Jewls the Clown. The napkin folding, especially the rose, is a great fun giveaway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Problem With Balloons (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL