The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What other animals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I was thinking of using more interesting animals than normal for an act. How about bats instead of doves (can they be trained)? You could use them for a halloween show. A monkey/lemur? How about one of those huge Flying Foxes insted of a parrot? I know nothing about where to get exotic animals, or endangered species, and I probably won't be able to buy and support any of these animals any time soon. But who out there works with "other animals". I've seen specials on Animal planet where butterflies and worms were used, and Criss uses mice and spiders. But who out there has taught their lemur slight of hand? Just a thought.

Brian
The great Sandwich!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Brian,

Over the years I have used a variety of animals in my act. Most people only think of me with doves because I started and wrote Dove Hotline on the Net for many years. It is currently written by Tony Clark. (I have got to get two books finished this year!)

However, I grew up as a cowboy. So I have used horses, donkeys, rabbits, geese, guineas, ducks, fish, chickens, hampsters, goats and even live lobsters. Currently my wife Lucy has a stage show with a Tea Party with a live rabbit and goose. Next year we work with a live unicorn (actually a blue-eyed white horse). Watch for the StarDancerCastle site to be opened in March.

Bob
Magic By Sander

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
I use my three ferrets. Two of them (one ivory, and the other striped).. for a stripe removing act. The other I use as an appearance through a circus wagon, with circus music. It's actually a real crowd pleaser.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You know that there are times when you may have shows and have to produce a human in costume as an animal. (Fortunately, I have never had an animal complain about that!)

For years I produced Easter Bunnies at malls all over the country. I have also produced "dogs" for fire departments and animal shelters.

Doves don't require near as much training.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
I was thinking about Chinchillas, since they are smaller than a rabbit, basically a large rat with a mink coat. They are cuter than producing rats, and more "pet-able". I haven't tried them since my Mini-Rex rabbit does not want to get upstaged!
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
"Next year we work with a live unicorn (actually a blue-eyed white horse)"

Oh no I'm going to cry Smile You mean you faked the picture of the Unicorn? I thought they were real.
(hehe girly laughter)
Matt
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Matt,

Only a young virgin can see a unicorn. Ask around.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I've used Rats and Mice. Their bowel control is the reason I stopped Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
How about roaches? Cheap and easy to feed. Well then again, maybe not.

X-treem, only 185 more posts and you'll be in the Circle too:)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
P & T did use roaches! Roaches from an "empty" match box. (Note that it hasn't made the dealers' tables.)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Bob, I remember years back (well not so long ago as I am only 24!). Ringling Bros. & Barnum and Bailey Circus (is that spelled right?) came through Witchita Kansas and brought along a unicorn. I believe it was a goat with a horn. There is not a whole lot of memory of it. That was in '86.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I just mentioned this in another forum. I have a friend that uses a Tucan (SP?) in his act and it really doesn't get much more of a reation than my macaw.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Ringling caught a lot of flack for doing the one horned goat. The story I heard was that they had a baby goat modified by a vet surgeon to remove part of the skull and grow the horns together. Urban legend? I also heard that it did not live long after it was shown.

BTW I couldn't see it so it may have been real. Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2004-10-12 16:34, Magic.J.Manuel wrote:
BTW I couldn't see it so it may have been real. Smile

Same problem here! They could fool me too.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
A Tucan, can you believe it?
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
sifo
View Profile
New user
brazil
36 Posts

Profile of sifo
I used mice too. It was a bad idea...
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Chinese Cochan Chickens for a Chinese Magician.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
And watch the crowd disappear when the chicken sneezes....
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I am glad this topic got started. I have been working with rabbits for years now and love them to death. However, I have been looking for another animal to add to my show as an opener but can't make up my mind what to do. The problem is that many other animals are so difficult to work with and make noise. I am going to keep my eyes posted on this topic for what others have to say.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I have used (still use) a snake, doves, rats, mice, spiders, and scorpions. I no longer use the rats and mice. I remember that goat "unicorn" as well, it really made a bad impression. I remember thinking "how cheap is that". I don't think they did surgery on it, it looked more like they had a string holding it on-if I remember it was crooked.

Oh well, no unicorns.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What other animals (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL