The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Dumb things Magicians say and do (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Ever see a Magician give a spectator the deck to shuffle, take it back and say ' and now I'll give the deck a shuffle". This is so dumb. It's great to let them shuffle to give the appearance that it's a normal deck and not in any order. Once it's reshuffled, that idea goes out the window.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Is it that dumb?
It can be a funny line?
Think about it!
You could f.ex. do a onehandshuffle to make a point using that line..
I really don't think what you described is *dumb*.. Smile

Actually that line is THAT good, together with suitable action (like a onehand shuffle) I might use it Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
This is just my oppinion but I don't think saying that is dumb. I don't know what you'd say istead but starter magicians should learn the stocklines for which not to say but I don't see any other way to say "and now I'll give the deck a shuffle". So I don't think it's dumb

But this is just one persons oppinion
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-14 04:45, prettylady1990 wrote:
but I don't see any other way to say "and now I'll give the deck a shuffle".

Well, in case of I would use a similar line in an action I just mentioned (onehand shuffle) I most certainly would alter it a bit..
Something like..*to be on the safe side, I'll give it a shuffle too*..or similar..haven't thought about it yet..

Finding a slightly better line for a renewed shuffle might most certainly give a laugh or 2..and that's better then none.. Smile

In any case, an action and line as mentioned IS entertainment..and not at all dumb.. Smile

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
If the Magi is going to shuffle the deck then there is no point in having the spectator shuffle it first. The premise for them shuffling is that there is no order to the cards. If the Magi then shuffles the effect becomes stagnant.

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-14 05:29, MagicChris wrote:
If the Magi is going to shuffle the deck then there is no point in having the spectator shuffle it first. The premise for them shuffling is that there is no order to the cards. If the Magi then shuffles the effect becomes stagnant.
Sorry, but probably you didn't get the point..it's all about entertainment and NOT *logic*!!

Let me give you an example, apart from the onehanded shuffle thing I already mentioned which is supposed to *entertain* them and NOT as a display of skill..:

It's the same thing when riffling a deck of card asking them to say *Stop*..
You're finishing the riffle before they can say *stop*..

*Today please, today*..
(You'll hopefully get laughs)

Next time you probably act starting to riffle and they shout *stop* before you started..

*I haven't started yet*..
(You'll hopefully get laughs)

I suppose you know the theme/gag ..

YOU might argue there is no point in repeating riffling and asking them to say *stop*..once is enough Smile Smile

Got my point??

That incident re a repeated shuffle both by a spec and the Magi can become solid entertainment..you are talking about *there is no point* and I'm saying, don't judge such things by pure *logic*..think solely about possible entertainment value...

Sorry, I stick to my original opinion and I'm sure you stick to yours.. Smile

BUT, we've discussed it - that's what this forum is about - and it might be food for thought for others.. Smile

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Werner, in the examples you are giving, that all makes sense. What I'm saying is that if you give someone the deck to shuffle, when they hand it back-it's dumb to reshuffle unless you're making a joke out of it. If there is no levity, then it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for sharing those great thoughts!!

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-15 05:31, MagicChris wrote:
?? What great thoughts ?? Smile
There where none, what I mentioned was more or less well known stuff -if you think of the riffle/stop/thing.
And the rest re that I might use a similar line together with a onehanded shuffle was just a thought..

I really think I'll use it one day, so your original posting triggered *something*.. Smile

So the idea was all yours Smile and the pleasure will be all mine.. Smile Smile

Keep on coming up with stuff like this, it's priceless for entertainmentideas.. Smile

oldguy
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of oldguy
I might say, "You shuffled it, I'll cut it." Then, if I wanted to make a joke of it, I'd do an obviously false cut, or not. Tom

By the way, I can't imagine anyone over six years old in this country not knowing what "cutting the cards" means.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26898 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
We could start with:

"Pick a card...Now give it back..."

now I lose it in the deck... now I find it.

Sheesh!

Asking the audience to humor a self involved and self indulgent performer can be downright embarassing.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 06:11, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 05:31, MagicChris wrote:
?? What great thoughts ?? Smile
There where none, what I mentioned was more or less well known stuff -if you think of the riffle/stop/thing.
And the rest re that I might use a similar line together with a onehanded shuffle was just a thought..

I really think I'll use it one day, so your original posting triggered *something*.. Smile

So the idea was all yours Smile and the pleasure will be all mine.. Smile Smile

Keep on coming up with stuff like this, it's priceless for entertainmentideas.. Smile

Thanks for sharing those extra great thoughts with us, but I don't think we should shuffle after letting them shuffle.

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I've read through all the posts, and yep, MagicChris is right - shuffling the cards after having the spectator shuffle them is kind of a dumb thing to do.

Ron
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2004-09-26 17:29, oldguy wrote:
By the way, I can't imagine anyone over six years old in this country not knowing what "cutting the cards" means.

I should've looked to see which country you were talkin' about. Because I had just a customer last Tuesday night.

It was Lazy Man's Card Trick, and I told him to cut the cards. He wasn't sure what to do. I demonstrated it for him. He PARTLY cut the cards. I talked him through the rest of it.

His kids died laughing. At first, I thought he was doing it just to get the kids to laugh. Sadly, he really was having a hard time understanding cutting the cards.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1929 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2004-09-27 12:29, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
We could start with:

"Pick a card...Now give it back..."

now I lose it in the deck... now I find it.

Sheesh!

Asking the audience to humor a self involved and self indulgent performer can be downright embarassing.

If they can lose a card in a deck, makes you wonder about their competency in general!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Dumb things Magicians say and do (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL