The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychological Subtleties 2 released (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
powen
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of powen
When?
Have you got a date yet Banachek?

I recently read a manuscript from magic notes in which you mention it.

I also heard on the grapevine that you may be releasing a dvd on pk touches. it is one of my favourite effects and would love to hear advances made on it both by yourself and others....
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Email B direct. banachek@banachek.com
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
The project was put on hold due to TV commitment, however, TV has been put on hold for a few months so I may start back on PS2 and maybe even PS3 after this fall tour.

Yes we are planning a PK touches dvd sometime in the near future, hopefully prior to Christmas
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of magicman02
Can't wait till they come out. Man magic can be a expensive hobby because there is so much out there
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
PK Touches DVD...Woo Hoo!!

:dancing:
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Steve:

Please DON'T put out a PK Touches DVD!!!

I really wish you had put out the original PK Touches as a limited edition, and had charged $1000. for it. I still would have bought it, but we wouldn't have it becoming the Zig-Zag Girl of Mentalism, which it is in danger of turning into.

I sort of understand your reasons for releasing the effect originally, but couldn't you accomplish the same propietery rights while keeping it reasonably exclusive?

- entity
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I really like it in manuscript form, it makes people work on putting their own presentation on it, I've noticed that when somthing comes out on dvd every one starts doing it Exactly the same way where as when it's from a book they add their own spin making them all look differant.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
H.W.:

I couldn't agree more!

I mean, it's Banachek's effect, to do with what he chooses, I suppose, but I hope he'll re-examine his motivations here. I'm not trying to knock him, as I have the utmost respect for him as a person and as a performer. We know each other, and he has always been a true gentleman and a complete professional.

- entity
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Welp, there is another DVD to add to the ole' wishlist. Aswell As PS2 and PS3. I'm still loving PS1 so if these 2 are as good as the first I will cough up the money in seconds (Which they will, everything Banachek is gold)
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I'm on my best behavior this year as I've asked Santa for the Psi Series DVD's Smile

FACEBOOK
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
A PK Touches DVD would be both timely and appropriate.

I've seen a couple of tradeshow magicians blow PK Touches before large audiences. In one case, people were snickering and pointing. It's the sort of thing that could have been avoided with proper instruction, especially in the areas of timing and misdirection.

One solution might be a more in-depth treatise, like PK Time received. Still, it'd be hard to beat the visual demonstration a DVD can offer.

Also, by this point, so many people have adopted, adapted and added to PK Touches that a DVD devoted entirely to the effect could:

(a) be much, much more comprehensive than the existing booklet,

(b) offer a number alternative presentations so everyone isn't doing it the same way and

(c) provide proper instruction to prevent the effect from being mucked up by poor performances.

(As an example of poor instruction over which I still get myself a bit riled, Craig Lamb's short-lived Invisible Touches eBook suggested that you say something like, "you'll feel ... something ... unless you're stupid or ignorant." Supposedly, this phrase will encourage the subject to feel what you claim is a "touch," for fear of being labeled stupid or ignorant. This is the sort of instruction I am certain Banachek would NOT give.)

Point being, it's better to have everyone doing it right than anyone doing it wrong, especially with this effect.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Avogcat said: <better to have everyone doing it right than anyone doing it wrong> with regard to PK Touches.

I respectfully disagree. When everyone starts doing something, it ceases to become special.

Those who lack the insight, imagination or determination to get it right with the information already at hand, will no doubt go on hacking this effect up, along with any new "touches" offered by a DVD. And because of the DVD, the number of individuals performing this effect will increase, and so it follows, there will also be an increase in the hacks who will be doing it.

In my opinion, without the DVD, the ones who are not able to do it properly now with the information at hand, will soon see that they are not fooling their audiences, will not get the reactions they had hoped for, and will quickly stop performing this effect.

I hope that at least, if a DVD is inevitable, that Steve attaches a very high price tag to it, a reflection of the effect's true professional quality.

- entity
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

I have also seen a magician blow it on T.V, while I'm not a fan of the particular magician I was annoyed that people were able to quickly work it out, I just put it down to a bad magician.

H.W
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Just one thing :
The more we speak about it now, the more attention it will get.

Let's make a silent pact..., forget about it, and let this particular thread to "get lost" Smile
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2004-09-14 16:29, powen wrote:

I also heard on the grapevine that you may be releasing a dvd on pk touches.

No doubt if that came out on DVD it would almost literally FLY out of the stores it'd be so popular!
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Juan D., you're correct. SShhhh...

Let's hear some more about memorized decks...

- entity
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
So it's okay for Banachek to release PK Touches as a manuscript for every magician in the world to perform. But when he wants to share his technique in a more fluent, visual manner through DVD, suddenly a few selfish magi think it is wrong. The magic community is about sharing knowledge. Every magician on this planet has the right to learn how to perform PK Touches should they wish to. If it was not for Steve's generosity in the first instance none of us would be performing his effect. Jaun D and Entity, shame on you, it is not the spirit of our profession to be secretive, but to share, if it were not so The Magic Café would not exist. You learned from Banachek, let others learn also.

FACEBOOK
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quote:
The magic community is about sharing knowledge.

Not only is the magic community about sharing knowledge, but it is also very much about withholding it. Hence the "underground" magicians, and myths about that "perfect" effect that so-and-so saw the Great Mysterioso perform.

I do think that magic is a lot better off for having certain aspects of it witheld from the community at large. With regards to the DVD in question - I'm sure Banachek has thought it through (it would be foolish of us to think that he hasn't) and it is his decision.
Hello.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

I'm mostly worried about the direct copy cat factor, I saw a guy on T.V do a Derren Brown effect which he did not change one word of patter, in fact he sounded like a robot reading from a script, the same guy performed richard osterlinds cell phone effect also with no change, even richards jokes were in there.
I would love it if people performed the effects under diffrerant guises.
I really think we need a DVD on inventing our own presentations.
H.W

H.W
oxygen
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
186 Posts

Profile of oxygen
Maybe each DVD should start with a:

FBI WARNING
According to the federal law, any unauthorized copy of the content of this dvd, or of the performer style and presentation, would lead to prosecution.

:lol:

Can't wait for that PK Touch DVD!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychological Subtleties 2 released (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL