The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 12 Year Old Girls Party (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I've been doing birthday's for a short while now, and just recently got two calls in a row for a girl's 12th birthday party. One is several months away, but the other is just around the corner.

So, what have I gotten myself into? Assuming it is all girls, am I headed for potential trouble? Obviously the rabbit-in-the-hat puppet is out (At least my routine) But should I be looking to perform more of an adult show for these kids?

From those of you who have "been there" I would welcome a word from the wise.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I recently performed in front of a group of 14 year olds, (not too far off your mark) I made sure to do hippity hop rabbits early in the show for a couple of reasons.

1. It is a good sure fire jaw dropper
2. It guarentees the audience will get inot it, if only in thier efforts to expose you. It is sure to wake up the bored or the disinterested members of the group.
3. Teen agers love to be right. After the finish, you will have shut up all the know-it-alls you may have in the audience.

I will tell you that doing that worked great, and no one even noticed that one of the "black rabbits had a paint chip that I was sure would give it away. (I did not have a repair kit at the time).
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I would do a adult style show. 12 they are not sure where they are kids or adults. You could mix in a little of both but be well rounded. You can do a few mental routines as well as a bunny.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
1) Bring a live animal
2) Make balloon animals
3) Don't do any tricks that require a 'belief' in your character. e.g. the die box is out because they'll KNOW you know that its obivous that the die slides back and forth.
4) Don't play down to them, treat them like adults.
5) Let them make fun of you....unless in gets TOO rude.
6) include some snot....12 year old girls love squealing at gross stuff!@
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I find the 12 year olds would love the rabbit in hat puppet. Create some conflict betwen you & the rabbit & just watch the kids side with the rabbit.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I'd turn it away, pointing out to the Mum that she wouldn't appreciate a magician as it would seriously damage her street cred and reccomend she just books a disco. Often the Mum's havn't thought about that.

My girls 13-14 would be horrified if I'd booked a magician for their parties. We're not kids would be their arguement.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Emazdad,

That may have to do with how you market yourself.
My daughter is 11 and her friends, younger and older, want me to perform at their parties.

Performing for this age depends upon your own comfort level. Know your audience.

Some suggestions for 12 year old girls...

1. Make the magic intimate... more close-up then stage.

2. Encourage them to make it topical, but try not to shape this yourself. Saying, "Isn't Brad Pitt hunky?" sounds very strange coming from a 40 year old man. Plus, they may see Pitt as very old and yucky anyway.

3. sponge bunnies are great...
4. mentalism is cool...
5. balloon animals are loved...

6. fortune telling is fun, fun, fun... (but check with parents first and it may not fit with your beliefs)

7. bizarre stories work... (they don't have to be satanic)

8. I have done H-H rabbits and had a great reaction.

9. Card stuff is better with a story. (Scott, your Ace Detectives would be fun.)

10. Breakway wands are fun... just play it very carefully... they will get the innuendo / double entendre without you drawing undue attention to it.

11. De Ja Zoo has worked well.

12. I don't have a bunny, but a bunny or kitten production would go over very well, especially if it was unexpected.

13. Escapology also is neat for this age.

14. Levitations if you are skilled and the angles work.

- - - - -

So Scott, I guess it really depends upon your comfort zone. Check with the parents, why did they think you would make their daughter's party special. Their answer will give you insight into how they perceive you and possibly some awareness of their child.

You enjoy singing. I don't know if you have built it into your magic personna.

Have fun.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi, I don't market myself towards that age group, It depends where you live, here in Plymouth the kids are 13 going on 20 and see themselves far too grown up to have a magician. it would be uncool.

My kids don't even want me to park my car near their school, and god forbid I even speak to their friends let alone show them a trick. To your average teenager Parents are an emarrassment and are just there to finance their lifestyle, taxi them around everywhere, supply them with food and accomadation, and to be there when things go pear shaped.

My Daughter Emma is now suffering major embaressment as her school have asked me to be magical advisor for their school production of Oliver. She had to meet me at the reception yesterday and take me to the teacher involved she wasn't a happy bunny..
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I was asking my daughter about what effects would work.

... And I forgot about fire. She loves fire effects.
Pyro Perception... Torch to Rose, etc.

And Emazdad, she told me she wants to draw up a list of the effects that I can do for her next party. Meaning: She is going to review my act. (Smiles, so I guess... I'm on that slippery slope.)

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I hope it lasts, I really do. I remember the time when Emma used to come out and help me. It's just a shame that nowadays they seem to want to grow up so fast.

You'll know it's started when you drive to pick her up from her friends house, and she gets in the car, you say hello to her friend and as you drive off she says "DAD! I didn't say you could speak to her.

Nowadays she'd rather spend her time with her mates, which include some boys who have a rock band. I don't drop her off at parties anymore, I drop her off and pick her up from concerts with bands who play music that's just a thumping racket.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I think its all in the area, I doubt it very much that on our side of the pond we, (me, Emazdad and Billy) would never get these sort of shows. 'Its just not cool' as Emazdad said. If I was booked for show I would do a close up cabaret, Rope tricks (real rope) impromptu tricks balloon animals cats poodles always seem to be popular and a birthday trick but not a 'Kids' one. As I still go to school, I am quite frequently asked to do shows for the new children and for rewards evening ect so I get to experiment, I have done 12 yr olds and you have got to remember to be really entertaining if your doing a stage show I would recommend rope, a card trick that involves the audience, 'grown up' kids jokes, basically anything that doesn't come across as kids magic. I say that but I was working in one of the roughest cities in the UK and I had mixed audience luckily enough I had a policeman watching just in case. I was meant to be entertaining the little kids but lots of teenagers watched as well, I just totally ignored them I dint ask them to help or anything, I didn't get any hecklers, but when I finished they wanted to see more! (this was 17 yr olds wanting to see more kids tricks!) I did do balloon animals and they loved them even more, I think it was the drugs, I'm not joking by the way.
Hope it goes well
Matt
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
For around this age I do balloon workshops but I do throw in a quick magic routine at the start (and sometimes later on if I have time). Rocky Raccoon goes down well with all ages.
I would say it's definitely possible to put together a show for 12 year old girls, if it was 12 year old boys, however, I personally would recommend hiding under the table and whimpering.

George
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
In my experience, girls are easier to perform for than boys.

The ADD tends to be less common amongst them.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Great posts from everyone. I was assuming I needed to do more adult style magic. But the idea of using a fire trick would be good. I've got a burnt and restored business card routine that is both corny and serious. This would work well. And doing a balloon workshop is a stroke of genius George. I'm hired to make balloons for them anyway. So if I teach them how to make some basic sculptures, this should work well.

El Lamo, Great ideas. Thanks for your post. You really do your homework before you post. Don't you? I do have one prediction effect that I will be doing. And, now that I think of it, the Fortune Telling Fish will be a really fun bit to present as a group as well.

Suddenly, I'm really looking forward to this show. But like you said George -- I'm really glad its not a 12 year old boy's party. I have enough experience to know that could make a grown man cry Smile.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 11:00, Emazdad wrote:
I hope it lasts, I really do. I remember the time when Emma used to come out and help me. It's just a shame that nowadays they seem to want to grow up so fast.

You'll know it's started when you drive to pick her up from her friends house, and she gets in the car, you say hello to her friend and as you drive off she says "DAD! I didn't say you could speak to her.

Nowadays she'd rather spend her time with her mates, which include some boys who have a rock band. I don't drop her off at parties anymore, I drop her off and pick her up from concerts with bands who play music that's just a thumping racket.

Emazdad,
Be careful with those rockers. I used to play in a rock band.

:)

My daughter is still very interested in my magic. She doesn't work as my assistant on stage very often anymore, but she still helps me out a lot. She likes to see my new routines and critique them before I actually try them out on stage. I try to involve her in the creative process also when I am writing or trying to improve my routines and scripts.

As far as being around her friends, I guess she has gotten used to it. I have coached her in various sports since kindergarten and I am currently the coach of her high school fastpitch softball team, so I guess she doesn't have much choice.

A show for this age group is tough, but being around these girls all the time gives me a lot of opportunities for magical moments. Most of the time they seem to enjoy it and often request that I show them tricks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
<<<Be careful with those rockers. I used to play in a rock band.>>>

It doesn't matter whether they are rockers or saints, they're still boys and it scares the pants off me.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I know exactly how you feel.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Boys are lees imature so you could possibly get away with more.
matt
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I've recommended in other posts a routine by Larry Becker called "The HG Wells Time Machine." I used this effect in my library shows this past summer, and I always tried to use a girl in the 12-14 year range as my volunteer. Usually, the girl got a look on her face that was priceless, and at that point the rest of the audience knew I had performed a miracle.

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7435 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Scott -

There are other threads in this "little darlings" section, where we have discussed this exact subject before, or something very similar.

Be sure to look up those older threads, too, for lots of great ideas.

That is why the index is such a great thing.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 12 Year Old Girls Party (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL