The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Retention Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
936 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Does anyone have a review on this effect found at http://www.magicmax.com? There is a video on this effect to view.

The effect has the spectator's card end up inside the box which is dumped out by the magician.The "loading" of the card and the "gravity driven" principles of the effect look interesting.

The pros/cons of this effect would be appreciated.Thank you.
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
From what I've seen it's a winner! The method and principle is ingenious!...which most magicians will be able to figure out. Laymen will think they've witnessed a miracle! It looks and seems to be the best box of it's type that I've seen. The gimmicks also lock in place. I don't have it in my hands, so I can't say how well made it is, but it looks very well made.
I believe I'll be adding it on my next buy list.
Gerard
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I've spent a lot of time researching all the different card to box's availible, including the retention box, and have come to the conclusion that "The Destination Box" by Jon Allen(a recent Café Guest of the Month) is by far the best.

Don't get me wrong, The Retention Box, Tommy Wonder's CTB, The Mystery Box are all fantastic solutions, but "The Destination Box" blows all of them away!

The Retention box is priced at $170 USD I believe, while the destination box is a little bit more at $225.


Lets go over specific points between the Retention Box vs. the Destination Box:

Size:
-The destination box was designed to fit in a pants pocket so you can do this walkaround, and I believe it is the perfect size for a card to box. Not too small, not too big.

-The retention box might be more suitable for stage, its size is way bigger, and I couldn't see myself lugging it around to each table. I think it is a bit too big especially when its used for a small card.

Noise:
-The destination box is completly silent it its operation.

-The retention box has a aubible "click" when the gimick locks in place which you can view on the video. The lid is open the whole time and spectators might wonder what was causing the "click" sound. This is my main problem with the retention box.

Motions:
-The destination box's handling is very streamlined, every "move" is natural and motivated.

-The Retention Box, as performed on the video, requires two hands, and an odd "side ways spin" motion to lock the gimick into place. Watch the video and you'll see what I mean. This is very un-natural, and means that you will have to dump the card out on a table(excludes walkaround) or a spectators hand. Very unnatural because you would normally just pick the card out of a large box and place it on the table or their hand, rather then moving the large box to drop out a small item. Also the twist seems very "movey" to me.

Revelation:
-The Destination Box lets you end with their card resting inside the box, letting *the spectator removing it themselves with no switches*. This is a very important point that is the key defining feature of the Destination Box. They remove the card themselves with no funny moves!!! From the moment they see the card resting inside the locked box, it never leaves their sight!

-The Retention Box, they see a card inside the box, so the "heat" is on that card. Instead of removing it, you have to turn the box upside down and dump the card out of it. The card goes out of sight during the turn-over, and spectators will remember this.


Handling itself:
-The Destination Box allows you to retrieve the box and unlock the lock with empty hands at all times. You can emphisize that you always handled the box with empty hands.

-The Retention Box, you need to palm a card from the deck onto the bottom of the retention box, and then secretly hold it there until the final dump out.
I'm sure you could change the blocking, but the fact still is that you must bring a dirty hand to the box immidiatly from the deck.


Conclusion:

As you can tell I really prefer the destination box, and I feel that for such a small difference in price, you should definatly go for the Destination Box because it solves so many problems of normal card to boxes.

If you were asking about a 15 dollar card to box, I might even say you should get it over the destination box, because everyone's budget and experiance is different.

But if your really considering shelling out over $150 dollars on a card to box, do yourself a favor and get the best one out there, "The Destination Box" by Jon Allen, availible from Hocus-Pocus or Jon Allen at http://www.close-upmagician.com/destinationbox/


Hope this helps!
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
I agree with you, Daegs, that the Retention Box looks way oversized and has a funny move. But I completely disagree that the Destination Box is the best solution for "Card In Box."

The best solution by far is Mystery Box (especially the new version 2 that I recently purchased).

Mystery Box is completely empty immediately after the folded card is dumped out. Destination Box is not. Some have suggested that feature is unimportant, but they're wrong. The psychological impact of dumping out the card and then placing the empty box on the table insures that no spectator will ever even have the chance to think that something is still in the box.

Mystery Box is a direct signed card to box. Nothing needs to be loaded into the box at any time. Destination Box requires that you manually load the card into a second container. Very indirect and convuloted in my opinion.

Mystery Box is much more portable and smaller than Destination Box.

Mystery Box is less than half the cost of Destination Box.

For my money I'll take Mystery Box hands down.

tdaube
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I, too, agree that the Mystery Box is far superior to the Destination Box. I don't like the two objects in the box approach of the Destination box and, while the spectator can remove the item from the container, he cannot remove the container from the box and I think, as far as a laymen is concerned, seeing an object in a box, then seeing it dumped into the hand, and then seeing the box empty immediately after, is convincing enough. If you don't emphasize that the box is empty after the "dump," the layman will conclude for himself that the object came out and whenever a spectator makes a conclusion for himself, it is very strong.

IMO Mystery Box is far better.
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
I'm not a believer in the "2 objects in box" approach either. I tried adding a rubber band inside Mystery Box so that the band and card were both dumped into my hand, but it was unnecessary.

Like you say, runawayjag, the subtlety of the empty box is far more powerful and convincing.

Another thing that I have found is that even though the spectator can unfold his card, the effect is better for a crowd if the Magician unfolds it instead because the Magician can control the moment of impact.

I like to slowly unfold it so the back is facing my audience, then turn it around so that everyone sees the signature at the same time. This way I can control the timing and reaction from the entire audience.

When the spectator unfolds the card himself, often times no one else can see the signature at the proper moment, and the impact is diluted.

tdaube
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Lol, well you're all entitled to your opinions.

Quote:
Mystery Box is completely empty immediately after the folded card is dumped out. Destination Box is not. Some have suggested that feature is unimportant, but they're wrong. The psychological impact of dumping out the card and then placing the empty box on the table insures that no spectator will ever even have the chance to think that something is still in the box.


Could you back up your statement that I'm wrong?

This is the same thing as a rising card where the deck can be completly examined... don't run when you aren't being chased.

In all my performances, I have never had anyone want to take a look at the box to see if its empty. A big reason for this is that there is no "heat" on move. The move happens on an off-beat.

I think that moving the moment of the move is what the destination box is all about. You might need to show a box empty if you are doing mystery box, but with the destination box you are one step ahead and the thought of a switch never enters their mind because of the timing. Besides, if they do request to examine the box, they can, its 100% examinable(even to tapping and prodding).

Let me run down a couple points why I think the destination box is better then the mystery box:

1. You have to approach the box with a dirty hand, at the moment when they are *highly focused* on the card. With the destination box, all of the high focos points, like when you initially retrieve the box, unlock the box, and open the smaller box to display the card, you are completly clean. The "move" and dirty hand happens on an off-beat.

2. This is similer to the first, in that the switch happens right when they are all wanting to see the card. The card must leave their vision for a second, right when they want to see it. Also, why can't they remove the card from the box, instead of dumping it into your own hands? In the destination box, from the moment they see a card, it remains in full view and can even be taken out by the spectator.

3. The destination box is locked and can be given to a spectator to hold onto. With the mystery box this is not possible. The best you can reasonbly do(short of drilling on hinges and a bolt) is rubberband it together, but you still run the risk of someone opening it.

4. This is an important point, but one overlooked by many. With the mystery box, you are limited to a red bike back, a blue bike back or a white slip of paper to appear in the box. With the destination box, you can have any brand of cards, including borrowed ones appear inside, and also headline predictions, rings, ect ect. Another reason I prefer the destination box, I can never be 100% sure that I'll be using one color of one brand all the time.


I know many might say that a switch is a switch and that you must dump items into your hand regardless, but the moment of the switch definatly makes a difference. No one is expecting a switch when you are just pulling items out of a locked box. However in the mystery box, everyone thinks "there is no way that could be my card" and expect some "funny" buisness to go on, and it does! It leaves sight for a second.


I am not debating whether showing the box empty is a good feature. If there was a way to do it with a smaller box to still retain the blocking and timing of the destination box, it would be a good improvment. But as it stands now, I really feel that the destination box is a big improvement.


I know the price in more.

I'm not debating that the mystery box is a fantastic effect, worth even more than $75.00 being charged. I think the mystery box should be more around $150 or $200.

However, Price regardless, the destination box fixes all but one of the mystery box's problems. And the last problem, showing it empty directly after the "move" is resolved by the timing so it isn't even an issue anymore.

I've used both in performances, and the destination box gets a MUCH stronger reaction for the simple reason you can constantly point out in patter that you are always handling it with empty hands, you never touched the card, they removed it themselves, it was locked away being held by someone else, ect.

I don't know how that equates to the $150 dollars difference in price, but for me, I feel it is well worth it and enjoy performing the absolute best card in box around, The Destination Box.


Feel free to disagree of course, but I've spent a lot of time customizing my routine and working on the CTB, and after playing with both, this is my honest conclusion.
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
> Could you back up your statement that I'm wrong?

Where did I say that?

> This is the same thing as a rising card where the deck can be completly examined... don't run when you aren't being chased.

Here's where you're missing the point. The main weakness of the classic "Card To Box" effect has always been the fact that the box could not be shown empty at the end. Mystery Box solved that problem. It's done subtly as runawayjag pointed out. You simply place the empty box down after you dump the card.

> In all my performances, I have never had anyone want to take a look at the box to see if its empty. A big reason for this is that there is no "heat" on move. The move happens on an off-beat.

The switch happens at the same moment with both Mystery Box and Destination Box, but with Destination Box you must also do another major load in your pocket before doing the final switch.

> I think that moving the moment of the move is what the destination box is all about. You might need to show a box empty if you are doing mystery box, but with the destination box you are one step ahead and the thought of a switch never enters their mind because of the timing. Besides, if they do request to examine the box, they can, its 100% examinable(even to tapping and prodding).

Sure they can examine Destination Box - after you steal out the gimmick. Mystery Box is left on the table, empty and ready to be examined with no steal.

> Let me run down a couple points why I think the destination box is better then the mystery box:
1. You have to approach the box with a dirty hand, at the moment when they are *highly focused* on the card.

It's even worse with Destination Box. You approach the box with a dirty hand at the exact same moment, and that hand has to conceal an even larger object. I really don't get your point here.

> With the destination box, all of the high focos points, like when you initially retrieve the box, unlock the box, and open the smaller box to display the card, you are completly clean. The "move" and dirty hand happens on an off-beat.

I don't follow you here.

> 2. This is similer to the first, in that the switch happens right when they are all wanting to see the card. The card must leave their vision for a second, right when they want to see it.

Poppycock. Card In Box has been around for decades and there is no timing issue here.

> Also, why can't they remove the card from the box, instead of dumping it into your own hands? In the destination box, from the moment they see a card, it remains in full view and can even be taken out by the spectator.

You've finally mentioned the single "benefit" of Destination Box: The spectator can remove the card from the box with his own hands. In my opnion it's not worth the extra load that you need to do in advance. Too convoluted. And besides, I think it's better when the Magician unfolds the card and shows the signature. That way he can control the timing of the entire audience's reaction.

> 3. The destination box is locked and can be given to a spectator to hold onto. With the mystery box this is not possible. The best you can reasonbly do(short of drilling on hinges and a bolt) is rubberband it together, but you still run the risk of someone opening it.

I don't like the locked box. Besides, the box is way too bulky. I'm sure Mr. Kennedy would have put a lock on the box if he thought it would add to the effect.

The bottom line is very apparent to me. The major problem with card to box was solved by Mystery Box. It is the most deceptive and practical approach.

tdaube
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I first want to say that I have no animosity or anything, so forgive me if this back and forth seems personal, but I am just trying to educate about the card in box and the many different versions.

Quote:
Here's where you're missing the point. The main weakness of the classic "Card To Box" effect has always been the fact that the box could not be shown empty at the end. Mystery Box solved that problem. It's done subtly as runawayjag pointed out. You simply place the empty box down after you dump the card.


We'll have to agree to disagree, but the "main weakness" of the classic card to box effect has always been the fact that there was a switch of the card when the whole audience was staring at it. If there wasn't a switch, then the box had to be out of view so you could load the card, which is also a weakness.

I've performed the effect many times ala Wonder or mystery box or even a simple "card glued on something" type effect, and I've always found that the "main weakness" is the switch of the card, not the fact that you can't show something empty afterwards.

Personally I have never felt the need to show anything empty because everyone is concerned with "what's inside that box" and not "could that object just have magically duplicated so there is one in his hand and one in the box now?".


Quote:
The switch happens at the same moment with both Mystery Box and Destination Box, but with Destination Box you must also do another major load in your pocket before doing the final switch.


I respectfully disagree, the switch does not happen at the same moment, at least not to a spectator.

I trust that you know the difference between an "on" beat and an "off" beat, or sometimes known as "focused" and "relaxed".

The idea, that pretty much every pro believes in, is that there are moments where the spectator is highly focused and burning your actions, and times when they are not as focused.

Basically its misdirection, but only in the sense that you are "doing things when they aren't watching".

A classic example is the top-change. You would never perform the top change during an "on" beat, because it would be seen. But perform it during an "off-beat" and it will be completly invisible to laymen, because they are not focused on the card that is in your hand.

Let me explain the mystery box's and the destination boxes beats:

Mystery Box-
On: The card is signed and returned.
Off: The card is back in the deck and you call attention to the box.
On: You take off the lid and show the card. You then dump out said card into your other hand. You display the card.
Off:Any cleanup or reseting or whatever.

As you can see, the moment that your hand is dirty, and the moment that the folded card leaves their sight is an "on" moment when they are paying full attention because they all want to know the identity of the card.
I am not debating that the mystery box will fool them, I know it will. It is a fantastic approach to the card in box. I am just saying that the general method(shuttle passing the card while people are focused on it) is not the best time to perform a switch.

Now the Destination box-
On: A card is signed and lost in the deck.
Off: The performer calls attention to the box that someone is holding and reaches into his pocket to retrieve the key.
On: He retrieves the box(with empty hands) and unlocks it, and shows that there are two items inside the box.
Off: He ditches the lock and keys into his pocket and dumps the two objects onto his hand and puts the box down/in his pocket.
On: An object is chosen(or one of the million things you could do with the other item) and the small box is opened. A card is seen, and removed by the spectator themselves and displayed with the signature.
Off:Any cleanup, such as reseting, getting things ready for examination, retrieving props, ect.

In this case, both "dirty" moments, the palm of the card and the switch happen during "off" moments when the spectators aren't burning your hands.

This is the difference in timing that I am talking about, and it makes a big difference. From the moment that they are engaged, "seeing the card" to the climax, there is no time the card leaves sight.

They are not worried about the box or anything else, because their mind is wondering either A:Could my card possibly be in there? and then B:How did my card get in there?

Quote:
Sure they can examine Destination Box - after you steal out the gimmick. Mystery Box is left on the table, empty and ready to be examined with no steal.


This leads me to believe you haven't performed the destination box much, because all the stealing happens on an "off" beat and there is no heat on it, in fact many times when I expect they may want to see the box, I'll get it ready, only to have them say "no thanks" when I offer to show them the box.


Quote:
Poppycock. Card In Box has been around for decades and there is no timing issue here.


It's been around longer than that, and I am 99% sure that everyone that has released a card in box will agree that doing a shuttle pass with the card while the heat is on is a very bad timing issue.

I hope Mr. Kennedy could jump in and back me up on this. I am not saying that doing it then will kill the effect or even that it makes it a bad effect, But simply that switching an item while everyone in the audience is starting at that item and only at that item, is a timing issue.

Much better to switch it out either before they are staring at it(ala Destination box) or after they are convinced of its identity(ala Guy Hollingworth's work on duplicate signatures). In both cases care is taken to make sure that all the "dirty work" happens when people aren't expecting it.

Quote:
In my opnion it's not worth the extra load that you need to do in advance. Too convoluted.


It may seem convoluted, but its the effect that counts. To a spectator, it is not convoluted but simply "my card was in the deck and then it was inside a locked box that I was holding onto".

Again we'll have to agree to disagree, but after performing the destination box many times, I feel that it is actually very streamlined. The whole "procedure" is 2 short actions. It is breaking things up into "half-moves" which is a good thing. It means you can be clean when you want to be, and only be dirty when they aren't looking.

Regarding the size and locked issue, I feel that both are perfect the way they are in the destination box.

The box is still small enough to fit in a pants pocket, but large enough to be seen by a large crowd.

As far as the lock, even if you convinced me that the mystery box is better I would still have to get a lock, there is no beating allowing the spectator to hold onto the box.

There is a big difference in impact between making the card appear inside a box sitting on the table, and making a card appear inside a locked&sealed box that was being held and guarded by a spectator from the begining of your show.

I think the locked part is key!(heh)



In closing, I just want everyone to take a close look at the back and forth posting here. There is a lot of good information in them.

Whether you are looking for information on the CTB, or just any magic effect in general, I think there are a lot of good points from psychological subtleties to timing issues, that everyone can benifit from.

tdaube and runawayjag, I don't think I can convince you why the destination box is better. I do want to say that I think the mystery box is definatly the second best, and by far the best in terms of directly shuttle passing the card. It is very well made and is a very nice effect.

But if you look at all the points I've made regarding timing, misdirection and presentational hooks, you can at least relize why *I* think that the destination box is superior to the other forms of this effect.
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
Yes, Daegs, we disagree. It is best for someone to see both effects themselves and then decide.

I recommend going to the Hocus Pocus web site (www.hocus-pocus.com), they have video demos of Mystery Box and Destination Box.

Watch both videos and see which one you like more.

tdaube
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
WOW! Great points here by both of you. I would like to just give a few coments on both of these box's since I have used them both extensively.

First let me say that I LOVE both of these effects! They are both brilliant.

I started out with the KMB, then to the DB. Which one I might use really depends on where I might be performing. If I am at a paid gig, then I will use the DB, if just out and about performing in public, friends, etc I use the KMB since it is a bit easier to carry around.

Someone pointed out earlier that the MB can be examined ... NOT a good idea. There has only been two instances when someone picked up the MB from the table, and BOTH times they found that special something. It is not well hidden at all, and anything more than a casual glance will most likely discover the gimmick. I have since altered my handling so that them picking the box up is not possible.

Someone also pointed out that they like to handle the card themself so time the impact of the effect. I do see where the thinking is here, but I feel that this lessons the impact. Mind you, I have also done this and have had spectators insist that I must have switched the card since I handled it.( I am a magician after all)

With the DB, the "Switch" never occurs to them due to the way they perceive the moment in time that any switch could have been made. It really does make a difference.

Example: I had a very good friend of mine bust me on the KMB back when I was first learning the handling of the effect. ( I always use him a a test spectator) Well, when I got the DB, he was the first I wanted to show it to since he knew the working of the MB. It DEVASTATED HIM!! No joke!

In conclusion, I still love and use both of these, but if it came down to one or the other, I would suggest the Destination Box!

Actually ... wasnt this thread about the Retention Box? Smile
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I didn't want to get involved in this topic just yet seeing as The Destination Box is my creation. However, I did take exception to one comment about it:

Quote:
On 2004-09-16 17:39, tdaube wrote:
You've finally mentioned the single "benefit" of Destination Box: The spectator can remove the card from the box with his own hands. In my opnion it's not worth the extra load that you need to do in advance. Too convoluted. And besides, I think it's better when the Magician unfolds the card and shows the signature. That way he can control the timing of the entire audience's reaction.


I do not feel that having the person who signed the card be the one to remove it as The Destination Box's single "benefit".

# Let the person who signed the card remove it for themselves?
# Have no worries about switching the card?
# Feel safe that only you can open the box?
# Be able to use any style of card?
# Have a box suitable as a feature item?
# To adapt the box to your own style or theme of an event?
# Have a 100% total examinable box?
#Have the facility to perform several other routines with it such as Bill to Box, Headline Prediction,
The Big Surprise, Watch steal finale and more?

Now some of these benefits are dependant upon the ability of the performer. If you are 100% perfect every time on the shuttle pass, you may not feel that switching the card is a problem for you. However, even if you are, people are able to figure out a method and the method is a switch.

Do you need to lock it? Well, if you have never had anyone try to open whichever type of non-lockable box then you haven't been working long enough! Smile

If being limited to the style of card that the gimmick duplicates is not a problem then being able to use any type of card is not a benefit. I should say that I once did a double birthday and had both cards end up inside the box.

I have said befoe but I think that having the person remove their own card is a huge psychological step. I re-enforce the fact that I never touch the card. I am able to pause with the card visible in the box. This is the image I want to sink in. I can leave the card there for as long as I like, building up the theatrical moment of it's removal. If you do not think that having the person remove their own card from the box is an advantage, then that is your own opinion. I happen to disagree.

I have only had 2 people I can remember in about 10 years ask to see the wooden box. Is the box 100% examinable? ye sit is. Do you have to remove something beforehand? Yes you do. However, if someone wants to examine thebox that is out of sight (out of mind) then something in what you did made them think to look at the box. It may not even be somethign you did but the type of person they are. On the video, I explain how to deal with this issue.

If you are unhappy with having to do something to make the box examinable, then you probably stay clear of a thumb tip, pulls, topits, trick decks, magnets, ringflites etc. It is up to the individual to weigh up the pros and cons of gimmicks.

As for controlling the audiences reaction, this is done whie the card is sitting in the box for all to see. Man ytimes people start reacting straight away and I can proceed at just the right tempo. I look at the person who signed the card and if realisation hadn't sunk in before, it has now. I control the reaction and the timing. I instruct the person to remove the card, emphasising the effect as I do so, which only leaves the card to be unfolded for the release fo tension to be relieved.

I wish to make it known that I think the Mystery Box is an excellent version of Card to Box. Both John Kennedy and I have come up with different versions each with benefits. He has solved certain issues with the effect one way and I have solved the issues in another.

To return to the original point, I feel it is wrong to say that The Destination Box has only a single "benefit". Those who have used it have found many.

Jon
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of afknight
I agree with Daegs and Jon. Without repeating all of the pros mentioned above, I'll just say that the DB, for my money, is more adaptable to a variety of performing situations. Oh, and one more thing, it absolutely kills! I've never had anyone even think about asking to see the inside of the box. And if they did, after all the gasps, and expletives deleted, have died down, you'd have plenty of time to oblige them.
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
> Do you need to lock it? Well, if you have never had anyone try to open whichever type of non-lockable box then you haven't been working long enough.

I don't know how long you've been doing magic, son, but for me it's been over forty years. I've performed Fred Kap's version of Card In Can thousands of times. It never had a lock on it and I never had a probem with that. The only thing I wished for was an empty box at the end.

Mystery Box solved the problem. The new model is even better.

I think the "dump" is much cleaner than loading something in your pocket. It looks fishy to me. Don't take my word for it - just watch the videos of Mystery Box and Destination Box at the Hocus Pocus web site (www.hocus-pocus.com.

tdaube
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
713 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
I've been using the Destination Box in my trade show act for the past two years and it's taken my show to a completely different level. That's 20+ shows a year (60+show days) 14-16 performances a day not to mention my many private party shows.

Nobody has yet asked to see the box (except for one guy who took it home with him, but that's another story).

To say that the load looks looks fishy while watching the video isn't really a fair assessment as most sleight of hand magic, when viewed with the camera's unblinking eye, cannot take the heat.

Suffice it to say that with a live audience and the proper presentation (patter etc.) and the load happening so far in advance of the final revelation, the spectators don't have a prayer of backtracking.

For me, it's the destination box all the way. It's the single best investment I've made in my show in the past 10 years.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Tdaube

I wasn't inferring that you had not been doing magic for long. That's why I put the smilie.

When I load the card in my pocket, I can do this at any time. If I feel there is heat on my hand in the pocket, I will leave it till later. When working a table, I can stand behind someone's chair and load it; I can do it while waiting for a bill to br procured; while I am talking I can casually put my hand in my pocket; if a wine waiter comes to the table and starts pouring the drinks; when I bring attention to the box and all eyes go to it etc etc.

The dump, which occurs in numerous versions, not just the KMB, can only be done at one moment in time. That is when the card is revealed and people are looking at it.

If John Kennedy's shuttle pass came with the box then it would be fantastic! I was never happy to do itHowever, to say that one trick is better than another because of the way the originator performs it is wrong. What you have to look at is which one is suitable based on oall the features.

Btw, I don't need to look at the video of the Destination Box.... I was there! Smile
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
Quote:
Btw, I don't need to look at the video of the Destination Box.... I was there!



Was that you? You look really sexy in that white top!

tdaube

just kidding!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I gotta admit I never performed card to box prior to Johns Destination box because I felt there where far to many draw backs with std versions.

1. it was too easy for a over zealous spectator to open the box and bugger it up (big risk in UK)

the lock solves this

2. the final box (the only important one ) could not be handed to a spectator for them to remove the selection and examine the box if req

Johns version covers this

3. the swich was always made when the heat was on at the time any move is likely to be expected by lay person.

Johns box neatly changes the moment.

John and I have different opinions on many things (as other threads will show) but I agree with him on this one for me the destination box is the best to date.
phillip
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1711 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Tdaube, I think it is wise to nip in the bud the rumour that I look sexy in my wife's clothes. That *was* my wife and I will pass on your comments to her. She will love you for them!

Phillip, we do indeed disagree on many things (like how to spell Jon!) but this is all part of the crazy world of magic. However, I appreciate your comments and observations.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
"Phillip, we do indeed disagree on many things (like how to spell Jon!)"

I disgaree with you on that, too :-p

Yousif
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Retention Box (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL