The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Dumpster Diving? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
Is anyone else out there willing to admit to Dumpster Diving? I had a really good trip last night and was curious if anyone else has had good finds or locations that were productive. I recently found four matching instrement cases behind an art studio in perfect shape just waiting to be turned into close-up tables. Finding old tray-jacks on the way out from work seemed like fate. Any good Stories?
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Picked up some nice furniture on the side of the road on the way to a theater that I was working at. I brought there and they ahve used it since. Great find for a great price. Can't go wrong.

I have picked up carpet, lamps, chairs, toys, and just little things that you can use on a play set that looks great.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
I was dropping off my old water heater to the dump when I found 10 2x4's laying there so I picked em up and I used them for my magic props
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Heh, I just got a mental image of someone paying VERY CLOSE attention to the dumpster at David Copperfield's place Smile
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The dumpster outside a woodshop, plastic manufacturer, metal shop, and carpet/fabrics stores have all seen me at times.

I don't call it dumpster diving, I call it "Midnight requisitioning"
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
I think it might be a seperate thread, but does anyone else have a good "code name" for this activity? We used to call it "looking for our little brother's retainer". Another one is "Aggressive Recycling". There is a magazine called "Found" that is completely made up of things people find outside and send in. It's worth checking out for some good laughs.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-09-18 04:20, MinnesotaChef wrote:
I think it might be a seperate thread, but does anyone else have a good "code name" for this activity? We used to call it "looking for our little brother's retainer". Another one is "Aggressive Recycling". There is a magazine called "Found" that is completely made up of things people find outside and send in. It's worth checking out for some good laughs.

"3am Shopping"

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
"Wow that would look good in my living room" type thought

Ok I don't have a name. I see it and run with it. that's all. I hate to see good stuff tossed away.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2729 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
People seem to throw away a lot of good chairs in my area. Also found a computer. I don't know if it actually worked, but my kid had managed to trash the floppy drive on his and this one fit perfectly. (In fact, it seemed to have a smoother action than the one that came with the computer!) The kid's computer was also a "dumpster dive" from work! They were upgrading the computers and stripped all the old ones of CD-ROMs and memory. I found one they'd missed and asked if I could have it!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
The Japanese term for it is "gomi shopping". One meaning of "gomi" is "garbage".
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1304 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I´ve found a large aluminum acquarium frame which became an illusion after some cleaning. The leg for one of my tables was also salvaged from a junk pile. The greatest find has been a completely workable industrial kitchen mixer which after check-up ended up in my father-in-law´s company where it´s still in use.
Sent from my Typewriter
ceeswing
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of ceeswing
I live in France, so every Sunday in the summer we visit the brocante sales (kind of garage sale) in the small villages and find things always.
It's a way of living.

Regards
Cornelius
France
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2729 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-09-19 04:19, cfrye wrote:
The Japanese term for it is "gomi shopping". One meaning of "gomi" is "garbage".

I understand it's a lot more profitable there because stuff gets thrown away that's still in good shape, just out of date.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
Check sidewalks Sunday and Monday mornings after yard sales for big ticket items.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
This gives new meaning to an illusionist's term for a "Box-Jumper".

Perhaps we should assign her dual duties?
~r2
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I've always maintained that we should get out of the recycle mentality and adopt a reusable position. You're a hunter and a gatherer... pack rat... connoisseur... collector.
Good for you Chef!
POOF!
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
-A collapsible stool
-Computer Inkjet Printer (needed ink and cleaning)
-25 Licenses/Software for Win XP (Corporate Dumpster)
-Rolling Suitcases (anvil type)
-Clear Plastic pipe for an oversize Stratosphere
-Several Computers, Monitors and similar hardware
-Smaller Clear Plastic pipe for my tip "jar"
-Lots of wood and metal to build tables, stands …
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Dumpster Diving? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL