The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Clipboard for Pre-Show Work (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
I'm looking to invest in three clipboards for pre-show work (a design, a number and a word).

Chuck Hickok recommends either:
Bob Cassidy's MASTER CLIPBOARD
http://www.mastermindreader.com/cd/private/index.html
or
John Riggs' BROWN HORNET CLIPBOARD
http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/Hornet.htm

Interestingly, John Riggs also markets two clipboards that he says are better for pre-show work:

The Black Mantis
http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/Blackmantis.htm

and the new Fabulous Cicada
http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/books.htm

Nonetheless, as I am new to this sort of thing, what do you guys recommend? What do you use?
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I use the Brown Hornet for the Hickok effect (design, number and word)
It works great.

Sven
matthu
View Profile
Regular user
UK
170 Posts

Profile of matthu
I think the effect as described by Hickok only requires a single clipboard - you collect three bits of information at the same time.

That saves you having to buy three clipboards!
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
I made my own. And its great. Works very well and is virtualy undetectable.
One day I will write a book
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Avocat
Lee Earle's clipboard can collect multiple impressions from various persons without any reset.

He's apparently not selling it anymore, but it appears on eBay from time to time, and is actually not too difficult to make if you buy his "Trilogy" eBook.

It'll take impressions on index cards made with ballpoint. So will Riggs' clipboards, but Earle's design can reliably collect eight separate impressions where Riggs' can collect, at most, four (and that's with audience management unnecessary with Earle's).

However, the Riggs boards are great-looking where Earle's, unless you're very skilled with the materials, will come out looking jerry-rigged and somewhat improvised (which can be good ... it looks very innocent).

I'd use Earle's board for PSW. Riggs' Brown Hornet will work for that purpose, too (subject to the limitations described above), but can also be used for real-time peeks on stage or even close-up.

By the way, for Riggs' board-users, my own cover for the necessary peek is to re-cap the pen. In other words, retain the pen cap. Take back the board first, then the pen; the act of capping the pen is a naturally motivated action that just happens to match, exactly, the movement that accompanies the peek. This obviously works better for the smaller models (Skeeter & Baby Hornet), but I've used it with the Brown Hornet, too. I suspect the casual and logical nature of the re-cap keeps people from paying attention to it. Just a suspicion.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I have always used a Kopy Kat from Earle and Becker and love it to pieces

just my thoughts,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6473 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
All the boards by Riggs are fantastic.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Most everything said thus far is true! Not one of the systems mentioned is "bad" or "better" than the other... it depends on your style, etc. I personally love to use NCR paper stuck into the hotel's note pad or a Post it pad. I also use Cassidy's "Pocket Medium" idea or Kerry Sommer's NOTEBOOK.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Another vote for the Brown Hornet as being a superb working tool for either PSW or real-time telepathy. Anything made by John Riggs is going to be good, reliable and practical.

However, if you are specifically looking for a safe PSW device then you may want to consider the John Cornelius clipboards (or, if no longer sold under that name, any similar incarnation of the general principle).

One thing I found after lots of experimentation with different boards and devices - tried and tested ideas may be old-fashioned, but they work, and that's all that really matters. There's nothing especially radical, innovative or sexy about my set of Corenlius boards, but they've served me well for many years.

That having been said, it's also fun to experiment with your own home-made versions of various impression principles. I was very taken with the principle involved in the Kerry Sommer's Notebook (as purchased from Mark Strivings) but I adapted it to work with a much larger A4 (Quarto) pad. It can be used in real-time, and it takes a good-enough imp from, say, a drawing made with a thick felt-tipped marker pen for a nice stage-sized draw dupe routine.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I may be biased (or not) but I still find the boards made by John Riggs to be the better ones.

And I'm not only speaking about the ease of getting the impression but also in terms of longevity.

And, as I probably mentioned before, John is of great help should you have trouble with his boards...

Paolo
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Thanks for all your comments so far.

John Riggs' stuff is highly recommended a lot. I'm particularly interested in his new Fabulous Cicada.

I think that might be the winner ...

... unless you know different! Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1348 Posts

Profile of Colin
I'm a huge fan of the IA pads. Excellent for preshow, and how much fairer can things be made?

I dunno if 'Shrink' is still selling them, however definatley the best I have come across.

Best Wishes,
Colin
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
PaulEverson
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of PaulEverson
Interesting how clipboards tend to be "sold" as completely examinable etc..

Surely if someone's having a good poke around at your supposedly "psychologically invisible" props then you're screwed from the start...?
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
The Bob Nelson "ultra perfect clipboard" has been brought back to life and is in my opinion the most "normal" looking clip board out. The standard masonite board that is found in every office supply around. It is put out by Maverick magic. I believe they are around $150.00
You can check them out at ronjo or hank lee or magic inc. There are more sources but those are off the top of my head.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Richard Sanders
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sanders FX
162 Posts

Profile of Richard Sanders
I am looking to buy the Kopy Kat Clipboard made by Lee Earle and Larry Becker.
If anyone has one that they would like to sell please email me.
Thanks
Rich
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Aside from clipboards themselves, can anyone suggest books or other resources which give a full treatment of how to approach pre-show work, what kinds of information to seek and how to ask for it?
One strategy I especially like is to justify the pre-show request for information from audience members by claiming that the show is going to be filmed and that the pre-show forms that audience members are being asked to fill-out are "legal releases" in case they appear in the final video production.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
121 Posts

Profile of chanor
I have been burned with clipboards when spectators write very lightly, even with short stubby golf pencils. Since that happens pre-show, it is no big deal; you simply don't use it in the show.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I've used a home made version of Osterlind's "Imp Pad" with good results.
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2004-09-25 15:59, MentaThought wrote:
Aside from clipboards themselves, can anyone suggest books or other resources which give a full treatment of how to approach pre-show work, what kinds of information to seek and how to ask for it?

Since I wrote the above I've learned of Mark Strivings' "Before the Curtain Rises" (available from him directly, Hocus Pocus and maybe elsewhere) which looks like it covers much of what I'm looking for.
I'd be interested to know of any others as well.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
Jon Stetson
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Jon Stetson
Another vote for any of John Riggs products. If you are going to use an impression device, they are the way to go. .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Clipboard for Pre-Show Work (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL