The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Price (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJW
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of RJW
I was wondering how much a GOOD shell game would cost me and what do you recomend I get.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
A good one would probably be from 70 dollars up. I would suggest the School for Scoundrels set.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
Well I have the SfS street shells that cost me $45 and I think they could definately be classified as a good set of shells.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I guess it really depends on how you define "good". I perform a routine that does not require anything too special when it comes to the construction of the shells. So, I simply purchased a set of Vernets (mainly to get the peas I needed) and then created my own set of shells using miniature oriental tea cups. All in all, I spent about $20.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
If you're a beginner, I would HIGHLY suggest you get the Vernet plastic shells. They're so inexpensive, and they simply get the job DONE. I can't imagine a better value for a beginner. Don't start with the golden shells. Leave them for later.
PM me if you'd like to get any info about these shells. They're amazing.
Michael
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Street Shells and Black Fox shells are both in the $40-45 price range.

Depending on what you're doing, you can even use plastic bottle caps, but they don't make much of a magical impression. It all depends on the venue, but for $45 you can't go wrong. Save for the more expensive stuff only after you know you really want/need them.

If you plan to use a better shell, I wouldn't bother with Vernet or their Magic Takers copy. The game depends on "touch" and the weight and balance is too far off to even use them as practice shells.

Or, it's been said many times before, pay a buck or two for a bag of walnuts and make a set of your own, plus a few spares. I'd still spring for the SFS "Perfect Pea" though to make life easier.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
The street shells are a very good value.
Anyone owns the SFS Golden Shells?
I'd love to hear your thoughts about them.
Best,
Michael
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I own and use Black Fox Shells from SFS. They are an excellent prop that serve me well. They were also reasonably priced.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I purchased the school for scoundrels golden shells as my first ever set of shells and I am really glad I did, I learned the bob kohler routine and have picked up a move here and there since then and I can't begin to tell you how smooth these shells help make your routine. They helped define what I was looking for from my own real shell sets which I have been using for more of an impromptu setting.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
If you're a beginner, go for the Vernet model first. They're plastic, yes, but not "cheap" plastic, and as others have said, they get the job done.
If you want to take it further from there, SFS, Black Fox or La Maggiores are the way to go.
Whatever you do, STAY CLEAR of Magic Makers "Gold Shells" !!!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
La Maggiore shells give you a learning advantage right out of the gate, with excellent grip, good size, deep texture and solid heft.

If you are a beginner looking to see if the shell game is your "con of choice" you could certainly buy an inexpensive set that will give you a sense of the choreography, but in the long run you may do yourself a disservice by trying the shells with a set that may actually make performing the moves more difficult potentially forcing you to abandon the game as unworkable. Far better to try the game out for yourself with the best equipment you can get which will actually enhance the learning process while diminishing frustration.

For those of you interested in wanting to see the difference, I want to provide you with an opportunity to compare two sets of shells for yourself! When I began threeshellgame.com I considered carrying the Vernet shells as an inexpensive way for people to try their hand at the game. I ordered several dozen shell sets, and when they came in I was somewhat disappointed by the quality so I never added them to our store.

In the interest of giving a few lucky souls a chance to try both the Vernet and La Maggiore shells, I am offering to give away a free Vernet shell set (a $12.00 value) with the purchase a La Maggiore shell set from threeshellgame.com (at which time you’ll get also get a free Finale Glass, another $5.00 value).

I am so sure that you will fall in love with the La Maggiore shells. In the likely event that you don’t, simply return the La Maggiore shell set (and glass) within 45 days for a full refund of your purchase price (less shipping) and keep the Vernet shell set as my gift just for trying La Maggiore.

Quantities are very limited and this offer will expire soon. To take advantage of this offer add both sets of shells to your shopping cart and simply enter “Vernet” as the coupon code.

Andrew
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I recommend S4S Magnetic Street Shells for 100 dollar: they have a very unfair advantage for the performer.
RJW
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of RJW
Thanks for all of your very good coments this has help alot. I have decides on the VERNET vesion of the shells. But thanks for all other ideas people suggested.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Go with the VERNET. They're cheap shells, but they simply get the job done.
Best of luck,
Michael
Flo
View Profile
New user
Paris
50 Posts

Profile of Flo
Hi

I really can't choose between La Maggiore or the street shells and may be I will buy both
But now I'm going with the street shells because they are less expansive and because themagicwarehouse.com sells them (I live in France and themagicwarehouse has low international shipping cost.)

do you know if this street shells set:
http://themagicwarehouse.com/closeup11.html#sb2448
(scroll down to the middle of the page)
is the same that School for Scoundrels sells?
is there a full set (5 Working, 2 Straight) of perfect peas in the pack?

thank you
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Yes. Those are the S4S shells, and should contain the full set of perfect peas.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 08:05, Flo wrote:
I really can't choose between La Maggiore or the street shells and may be I will buy both

I bought both. I use both. They're both brilliant. Don't deprive yourself Smile

Riley
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-09-17 16:52, magical_steve wrote:
Well I have the SfS street shells that cost me $45 and I think they could definately be classified as a good set of shells.

I stand corrected....I thought they were more..I am sorry.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I am sorry, too, Astinus. I wish they were more expensive. Smile

There are a lot of really great shell sets available on the market today, each with their own unique advantages and in many different price ranges. This is a good thing.

Do your research, try to play with as many different sets as you can before you choose. But honestly, the routine and the moves are the important things. Certain sets work better for some people, other sets work better for others--depending on your hands, your performing situation, taste, and presentation.

Andrew Pinard and I are often quibbling over the various merits of the School for Scoundrels Street Shells vs. his La Magiorre Shells, and we each prefer our own sets for various reasons.

But don't mistake this natural bias for a lack of respect. We both would agree that each of these sets is unique and that each offers a fine quality set of shells that is well worth what you will pay for them.

His offer above is a great offer.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I also feel that the routine and the moves and the entertainment value that you get from performing this classic effect - for an audience is the important thing.

Because anyone can do a shell game routine with bottle caps, sea shells, thimbles etc...

If you like shell game routines you can check out my routine at my web site below! Many have considered it one of the better shell routines in magic.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell Price (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL