The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Explosion" by Dean Dill » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Can anyone purchased this effect give a hard review? I'm considering buying this but before I plung 1,000 bucks I'd need some honest reviews and comments on ease/difficulty of moves. You can respond here, or send me a PM.

This is probably the most expensive coin trick out there so I am making certain assumptions why it is so expensive.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
Hi Richard,

This may be of some help :

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Regards,

Yousif
Horizon
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Horizon
I know hocus pocus has a video demo of it.
Might help you decide.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I saw Dean do this at his shop. I thought oh another coin matrix...then the coins started appearing and appearing and..
It was freakin unbelivable!!!!
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I have read you mentioned somewhere you are not very experienced in cointricks. Well in that case I would not recommend it. It is not very easy (nor paticularly difficult).
consider this:
-Do you have a venue to perform it (formal close-up)?
-are you in control of your audience? No grabbers allowed.
-Do you know some more conventional related routines, like matrix, chinc-a-chinc, shadowcoins, translocation? This routine builds on that.
-Calculate to buy a Dean Dill close-up mat as well. If you perform a routine of this caliber go for the best. The mat is a seriously beautiful investment for all of your (formal) close-up work.
-I think a routine like this benefits from some well thought out presentation. I have heard magicians scowl "kids with rich parents who perform 1000$ cointricks".

Oh, in case you wonder, yes I perform it and I love it.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
One more point Richard. I certainly do not count you as a "kid with rich parents". But I mentioned that because it pains me to see such a beautiful routine from a wonderful creator gets this label.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2004-09-17 18:11, Dan LeFay wrote:
One more point Richard. I certainly do not count you as a "kid with rich parents". But I mentioned that because it pains me to see such a beautiful routine from a wonderful creator gets this label.

Wha???????
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
mentalism101
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
105 Posts

Profile of mentalism101
If you want to look like you are performing the most 'trick coin' trick ever created, yeah go ahead and buy it.

I would LOVE to see Dil do this for an audience of laymen. Do you think they might want to look at some of those coins? Just a little bit?

Scott
gentleman
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of gentleman
Is this really worth 1000 dollars
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2004-09-17 20:30, gentleman wrote:
Is this really worth 1000 dollars

Cry....

Read the posts.

Lee
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The two past winners of the WMS Teen Challenge closed with EXPLOSION and KOd the audiences.

I see Dean demo this at his shop often and it never fails.

If you know how much work there was to make this you would realize it is not that expensive.

RE=READ LeFay.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I do coin work,I know about every (almost)kind of gaff.
I thought the coins were coming up out of the mat,they were'nt.
It is a shocking production of coins that will stun
anyone who sees it.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Cardic
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
129 Posts

Profile of Cardic
This sounds interesting..
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2004-09-17 19:06, mentalism101 wrote:
If you want to look like you are performing the most 'trick coin' trick ever created, yeah go ahead and buy it.

I would LOVE to see Dil do this for an audience of laymen. Do you think they might want to look at some of those coins? Just a little bit?

Scott

I have worked with Dean Dill at fancy private parties in Malibu as well as at corporate events in upscale hotels and other places.

Dean's magic is killer for laymen, and the "Explosion" creates jaw drop amazement from everyone that witnesses it. Normal people do not think the method involves trick coins--only magicians do.

I don't work with a mat, but usually circulate working out of my pockets. Dean sets up a "station" with his wheeled table and does coin magic and Dean's Box and other beautiful things. That is one of the reasons that our acts don't conflict and we can work together well.

I have always admired Dean's performances and creations very much. If I worked at a table more often, I would definitely want to do this incredible trick, which I think is an amazing bargain at the price he offers it.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
541 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Richard;
I'll add in my two cents worth for whatever it is worth to you.
You should be prepared to spend roughly three months of work to master this great effect properly.
Some think the price is high, but when you see the coins that you get, and add up what individually these would be, you find that the price is truely justified.
You can certainly get a few gimmicked coins and do a similar looking effect, but it will not be as clean, complete or as staggering as this is.
I do believe that all of us who own this, out of respect for Dean and his magic, do not want to tip what exactly you are getting. But I will say this, give Dean a call, he is a heck of a nice guy, and he will tell you what you are getting for your money.
Lastly, to tell you how good this is...Have you seen one for sale lately??...Exactly! It is good, but be prepared to spend some time with it.
All the Best
Marty
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
I am not a coin guy but would like to see the demo if theres one on the web. thanks
YousifS
View Profile
Regular user
USA
194 Posts

Profile of YousifS
Here you go Owen :

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/clips/explosioxn.rm

Regards,

Yousif
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
It's a great effect...No question about that, but $1000??? What are you paying for? The secret or the gimmick!?!
~joeKing
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Both, and a really awesome routine.

Best,
Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
For those complaining about the price:

Jamie Schoolcraft, the man that makes these sets, also sells a regular old "Expanded Shell" walking liberty for:

$60 dollars
A "cut down" Un-expanded shell from him will run you $150.

If you add up all the individual gaffs for this routine, the total is about $1080, and that is not even counting the extra special nature of the gaffs and how they all work together.

I'm just saying that the gaffs alone cost over $1000, and that isn't even factoring in the secret, the routine, and the thinking that went into this.

I think this routine should have easily gone for $1500 or $2000, for the thinking, the secret and the gaffs you are getting a bargain for $1000.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Explosion" by Dean Dill » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL