The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Routines with 2 [ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Does anyone have an idea about 2 s****? Of course, simple transpositions of 1 and 2 coins come to mind but how about a more complex routine?

What routines all ready exist?
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
Hoppin' Halves, a dealer item, is the first to come to mind. It uses 2 different ]s. On Dean Dill's intimate Coin Miracles, he has an effect called X-plosion. An awesome use of 2 ]s.
Cardic
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
129 Posts

Profile of Cardic
Also Dean Dill's new DVDs had some 2] tricks, if I remember right.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Steve Dobson has a cool use of 2[ in his lecture notes. I believe that in the Matrix God's Way there are also 2[ routines.

Mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Magic with ]s in print dates back to Hoffmann's More Magic, and probably before that.

There was a delightful trick called Kangaroo Coins on the market long ago that used gaffs.

Steve Dusheck explored the gaff and offered some startling innovations.

There was work using the c/s/b set and an e] around in the 1970s. Can anyone provide a citation for that? This arrangement allows you to make the two foreign coins seem to vanish very cleanly in routine.

There are some natural extensions of the Twenty One Cent trick in Bobo's.

Then there are the amazing ideas in Downs book that folks seem to be exploring again. Have a look in Modern Coin Manipulation for a few gems.

And that's just for starters.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quite a long time ago, I recall learning a four coin production that uses two coins and two ]s. One at a time, a coin is produced from between two sandwiched cards, and as each coin is produced, it's slid onto the close-up mat. At the end, there are four coins on the mat in a vertical column. I can't go into more detail in a public posting but I'm wondering if anyone else remembers this. It's really a great production.

Larry D.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
There was work using the c/s/b set and an e] around in the 1970s. Can anyone provide a citation for that? This arrangement allows you to make the two foreign coins seem to vanish very cleanly in routine.

Jonathan, to my understanding..that was Connie Hayden's idea.

Mike
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-09-18 10:31, mike gallo wrote:
Jonathan, to my understanding..that was Connie Hayden's idea.

And a great idea it was.
Cardic
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
129 Posts

Profile of Cardic
Test: shell fuel.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Dean Dill has an excellent fooler - a version of Translocation that has a nice surprise ending. You'll find that on his "Extreme Dean" Vol 2 DVD.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Larry, that coin production sounds very similar to something in Earl Nelson's "Variations" called "Four the Easy Way." That was in the older version of "Variations." I haven't seen the recent reprint.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Bdekolta,

Thanks! I just checked my library and the effect Four the Easy Way appears in the original book Variations starting on page 111 as well as in the reprint entitled Variations Revisted starting on page 99.

What I was thinking of is very similar to but not identical to that effect. That effect uses one ] but the effect I'm remembering uses two ]s. Also, that effect requires the magician to classic palm a stack of coins, whereas the effect I'm remembering doesn't require any coins to be classic palmed let alone a stack of coins to be classic palmed. Other than those differences, though, the effect I mentioned is the same (the way the coins are hidden under one of the cards and the way the coins are produced in a vertical line from between the two cards).

I don't recall where I learned the 2] version. It's possible that I didn't read it anywhere and that instead someone showed it to me. My memory is somewhat foggy on this because it's probably been 20 or more years since I learned it. It's actually easier than the version published in the Earl Nelson books, so maybe I should refer to it as Four the Easier Way. Smile

Best regards, Larry D.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I think I've seen the item you are referring to Larry. Unfortunately my old brain hasn't come up with the originator. As I recall one of the s****d coin is slid out for the first production. Then the s***l is stolen back and produced for number two. This is repeated with the other coin for a total of four...

Mike
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Mike ~

That is the basic idea in the Nelson trick. The verticle line making it possible to s***l as you produce.

~ Dan
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Just another view on this. Henry Evans has a fantastic 4 coin production using a single coin with gaffs, and each gaff is double sided so you can flip each over at the end.

I think it is "Chinese Economy." It's a fantastic production.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Mike and Dan,

As I recall, here's how the 2 ] version worked:

1. Left hand holds card #1 face up with fingertips on the back of the card and thumb on the face of the card. The fingertips also secretly hold two ]ed coins against the back of the card with the fingertips touching the genuine coins versus the ]s.

2. Right hand holds card #2 face up, pivots it face down, and places it on top of card #1 (i.e., cards are face to face now).

3. Right hand slides card #2 to right, ostensibly to show the face of card #1 again but at the same time secretly ste*** one of the ]ed coins under card #2. Right hand places card #2 and ]ed coin back on top of card #1 and lets the ]ed coin slide out onto the close-up mat.

4. Right hand slides card #2 to the right again to show the face of card #1 again but at the same time secretly ste*** the other ]ed coin under card #2. Right hand places card #2 and ]ed coin back on top of card #1 and lets the ]ed coin slide out onto the close-up mat in front of the first ]ed coin. As the second ]ed coin is released, the fingertips of both hands secretly lift the first ] off of its coin underneath the two cards.

5. Right hand slides card #2 to the right again to show the face of card #1 again and at the same time secretly ste*** the ] under card #2. Right hand places card #2 and ] back on top of card #1 and lets the ] slide out onto the close-up mat in front of the other coins while at the same time the fingertips of both hands secretly lift the other ] off of its coin underneath the two cards.

6. Right hand slides card #2 to the right again to show the face of card #1 again and at the same time secretly ste*** the ] under card #2. Right hand places card #2 and ] back on top of card #1 and lets the ] slide out onto the close-up mat in front of the other coins.

There's actually more to the display of the two cards than what I briefly described above (e.g., both cards are displayed at the fingertips a few times using the pull-back move) but you get the idea.

Regards, Larry
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
I wanted to thank everyone for posting. There are so many boring posts on the same old topics with the same replies. I'm glad to have uncovered a fresh topic of interest. It seems like the idea of using 2[ is still a work in progress...

I'm anxious to hear from Mickey Silver, Dave Neighbors, and Curtis Kam.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Gang,
If you are talking about two [ that nest togeter, i.e., looking like one coin, I have a few routines in print with that. And 18-19 or so that are not in print yet.

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
http://www.coinjurer.com
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
As Mediocre said,
Dean's Translocation effect is brilliant. His other effect that is on the first of the Extreme Dean DVDs is called Swirl Assembly, and, in my opinion is not so good. The routines however are both good.
The swirl assembly is an effect where the hands are constantly moving/swirling round the table, and the 4 coins gather in one corner. The reason I do not like this routine is because the hands are always moving, and I find that it makes it difficult to concentrate on the effect.
owen
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Could someone describe the Translocation effect?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Routines with 2 [ (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL