The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » I made a lady cry ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Recently I had a show at a nice resort for a couple celebrating their 25th anniversary and the wife’s 50th birthday. There were about 70 people there. I strolled for about an hour and a half and then did a short stand-up set. The son that booked me, asked me to do something special and “touching” for his parents. After a suggestion from Scott Alexander (thanks Scott), I wrote a nice script for a short rope routine ending in a C&R with the husband and wife holding the ends. The script was about couples starting off as two separate individuals, (cut the rope), then forming a union, (tie the knot), and finally growing together as a couple until they become one entity, (restore the rope). My last lines brought the couple together and ended in a toast from the guests. It got a wonderful response, a standing O’, and brought tears to the wife’s eyes. And no, I didn’t kick her in the shins! I got a nice tip from both the husband and the son in addition to my fee and I collected a lot of business cards. All in all it was a great show.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
That was a great story.

May I use the routine?
Any patter points you would like to share??

Thanks,
Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Please do, Bruce. That's why I posted it. The technical aspects are simple as you can guess. As far as the patter, mine focused on the two honorees and their accomplishment of 25 years of marriage. I didn't include any humor or "me" statements or anything embarrassing and I ended with a very short poem. I also intentionally s-l-o-w-e-d down so they could enjoy everyone's attention. I'm sure that you can come up with something that will work well for you and your event. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Bob
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Bob,

That is a wonderful story. I try to so something to touch emotions when I perform at weddings. Somehow I never thought of doing anything for anniversaries.

I love this!

Mike
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Bob,
When I first started reading your post I thought "here we go, another Anniversary Waltz."
It was refreshing to hear your connection of C&R with the couple's relationship.

I love effects that bring tears to the woman's eyes. (even if I have to kick em in the shins) Smile
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
Just fantastic Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14032 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-09-19 14:52, Bobcape wrote:
Recently I had a show at a nice resort for a couple celebrating their 25th anniversary and the wife’s 50th birthday. There were about 70 people there. I strolled for about an hour and a half and then did a short stand-up set. The son that booked me, asked me to do something special and “touching” for his parents. After a suggestion from Scott Alexander (thanks Scott), I wrote a nice script for a short rope routine ending in a C&R with the husband and wife holding the ends. The script was about couples starting off as two separate individuals, (cut the rope), then forming a union, (tie the knot), and finally growing together as a couple until they become one entity, (restore the rope). My last lines brought the couple together and ended in a toast from the guests. It got a wonderful response, a standing O’, and brought tears to the wife’s eyes. And no, I didn’t kick her in the shins! I got a nice tip from both the husband and the son in addition to my fee and I collected a lot of business cards. All in all it was a great show.

Bob

This is the essence of what good magic is and does. It touches the emotions.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of 30210162
Dude... I'm so gonna do this for my parents wedding anniversary... Thanks bob... It brought tears even to my eyes. and I'm only 23
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Thank you for sharing this with the community. A very touching story.

Daniel
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I bet those people will remember you as long as they live - in a very good way too . . .

Kudos
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I saw this couple again at an event yesterday. The wife told me that they put the knot in their scrap book along with a photo of the three of us. She said she would send me a copy of the photo. They had already sent me a very nice thank you card. I hope I have another opportunity to perform this again.

Bob
jimroady
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jimroady
Congratulations on a very classy and meaningful routine. Your presence madthe evening special, memorable and entertaining. Isn't that why we perform magic?
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1656 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Bob-

Great story & routine-Well done!

So nice to hear of a show that touched adults! with meaning,Good magic that was tastefully done-Restore faith that not all Magicians are seen only to perform for kids!

Cheers
Jonace
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Jonace
Really liked this one.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Congratulations!

Sir, at that moment when you touched the woman's heart, you were on par with the Greats (Copperfield, Henning, Houdini etc.) because this is what all GREAT Magicians do...

They touch our hearts...

That Sir,is the REAL Magic...

Congratulations again!

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
I enjoyed reading it, and this trick holds great significance in peoples lives. It is good to see that you have touched someone in souch a sensative way through your magic!
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Salah AAZEDINE
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
178 Posts

Profile of Salah AAZEDINE
Waw realy great story ,thanx for sharing it with us.
Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
Quote:
...and I collected a lot of business cards.

The magic was good and all but,
aren't you supposed to give business cards away? Smile
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
indonesia
1940 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
That was cool. Clever idea...I can imagine why she cry.
Creator of the "High Voltage Gimmick" and Shaman's spirit table
https://youtu.be/Rlgl4CzUa98

IG: @affordable_illusions_magic
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Quote:
On 2005-07-18 07:29, Mishel wrote:
Quote:
...and I collected a lot of business cards.

The magic was good and all but,
aren't you supposed to give business cards away? Smile

Actually I feel that a business card given to me by someone that is interested in a booking has a lot more value than cards that I hand out. I don't have to wait for a call back, I initiate it.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » I made a lady cry ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL