We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Your job or your magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Burnt
View Profile
New user
England
66 Posts

Profile of Burnt
Ok here most of us are in our best suits and top hats etc but one thing I notice about most magicians young and old is that as soon as you see them you can see a smart sophisticated person.

Thats not a bad thing! In most cases where people hire us we must polish ourselves up so we don’t appear in shambles.

However, if we were to all meet up as we do for stage shows, how much, just by looking at us can you tell about our magic?

That’s what hit me. We don't look individual from each other. We dress smartly but how much about our character do we see?

I know its important to dress smart (they even grade it in competitions) but how much of our style shows through?

How do we attack the problem of individual individuality?

So following up on an idea I had when I first began messing around with ideas for a stage show opening music, I went out to the Palace shop and bought a stylish black/dark red kind of detective style hat.
If any of you watched big brother, its the same kind of hat Dan wears.

For my cloths I just wear smart yet casual black jeans and a black polo neck t-shirt.
It's very casual yet breaks away from the 'suit fashion' many magicians use.

What about you guys? What character traits do you employ into your cloths? A pendant, ring, t-shirt, gloves etc?
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
No matter what some people wear, they just don't "blend", even in a room full of performers ready to hit the stage.

I believe that if we dressed a few hundred random people in your black jeans and polo example, and allowed them to simply mingle in a large room, (no cheating by doing any performing here!) we would soon be able to spot the exceptionally good entertainers.

Some individuals don't need the "boost" that can be had from a gimmick to command attention.

Neither situation is good or bad, neither type of person is better or worse than the other.

I think the difference, though, should at least be noted as a caution to some who might set sight on the acquisition of the perfect hook, rather than development of the ultimate self.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I think Laughing Otter has a good point. The concept of "fit" will tell on most of us when we try to cheat.

To me the first rule of dress is really appropriateness for the occasion. We don't wear gym shoes to a funeral or a tie with a bathing suit. Next it should help give credibility to the act. It also should not offend the audience. That leaves a lot of latitude. It is the first and last impression many will have of you and your act. Fortunately or unfortunately that transfers to the hosts/hostess or talent buyer too. How do they see you?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Your job or your magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL