The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid heckler situation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
felixjr
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of felixjr
How would you deal with this? You are in the middle of a routine where you are producing a red , white and blue silks and you pull out some stars and a change bag. Suddenly a kid in the first row yells,"I know what he's gonna do..he's gonna stuff all that stuff into that bag and pull out an American flag!!!"

I stood there holding everything, frozen like a deer in the headlights. Then, promptly toss everything into the bag and threw the bag over my shoulder and went to my final trick. Not sure if I dealt with it correctly, but it did get a big laugh and again later when the kid wanted me to do what he had told everyone what I was going to do.

This was my 2nd birthday party performing at and possiblly my last.

Your comments, suggestions, stories?

Felixjr
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
There are lots of ways you can handle it. pull out a diffrent colored silk etc. use your imagination.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I would have probably said "well I was not going to do that, but that sounds pretty good magic to me as that's what you want me to do lets see if I can do it with a little help, come on everone wiggle your fingers shout the magic words ....... Woah it worked that's even better than what I was going to do .. give yourselves a huge calp!
Phillip
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Felixjr:

Hecklers will happen and it is just a fact of life for the children's performer, however, there are some things I can point out to you that may make it easier for you.

First off, kids will say things like this child said NOT because they are heckling you or because they are screaming for attention. yes, sometimes they do it for these reasons, but in a lot of cases, I have found that children say and speak out like this because they are excited about it.

They are excited about 1) knowing what will happen and being correct about it instead of always being told by an adult that they are wrong. This is a time in their life when they are learning and to be correct means a lot to a child.

2) They shout out because they actually LIKE what they are seeing and WANT to see it. This may sound very weird, but it is very true.

I could do the same show to the same group of kids maybe 2 weeks apart. The kids will say things like this kid said, but they are not saying it to ruin my show. Instead they are telling me that they know about the trick and they enjoyed it last time and they WANT to see it done again so they can laugh and have fun with it. It is familiarity to them.

The last thing you want to do is to let the audience and the child know that you are frustrated with them and with what is going on. By throwing the prop and going on, your basically saying, "I give up, I lost control, you win". The better method is to simply go on with the routine as planned. In many cases you will see the child clap and laugh and giggle and still enjoy what it is your showing to them.

Do not give up on it. Kids parties can be tough, but it is alearning curve. The more you do, the more you learn and the easier it gets. It can be very rewarding and has been for me for many years now.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject for you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I do this but I delibratley say I'm going to turn it into a flag and even before that I have never had anyone say their going to change into a flag. You could use a three-way and produce something else red white and blue.
matt

Ha have you seen the postings times? one every minuite.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Phillip brings up a good point. By saying what he says, your addressing the problem in a non-combative manner and your also empowering the children rather then ridiculing them. Your staying in control of the situation and of your show. Good point Phillip.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Welcome to the world of kids.

When children do that they are saying" they love the trick" They love it so much that they can tell you what is going to happen.

Now I suggest you change your tricks so the ending of your routines is not what the kids think it is going to be. Now if you have 7 or 8 year old boys they are going to know it all. So you just have to roll with it.

Now "sometimes" if a kid says I know this one. I bring out a JUMBO deck of cards. and a kid will say I know this one. When they do that I hand them the deck and say show us! And then I just look at him and so does the audience. Usually he says I don't know this one and he will be quiet for the rest of the show. Now I only do this when the child has crossed the line and he is starting to ruin the show for everyone. This will also stop the other kids from saying things like that as well. They don't want to be put on the spot.

It takes a lot to perform for children. It is not easy.

Ken
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Ken,

You can do that if the kids REALLY starts crossing the line. I have just found though that in my area of Philadelphia, doing that only draws and gives more attention to the child who is basically screaming for it in the first place.

often times, instead of just saying. "I do not know this one", they instead will stand up and start making things up because the spotlight is now on them. This then gets the other kids involved and it can cause more problems then it is worth.

I am not saying your method does not have merot. I have used it to in the past. I guess you just have to pick the right times to try it and make sure your in control at all times. If it works for you, then use it.

I just prefer handling it in a different manner.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 12:16, magic4u02 wrote:

I am not saying your method does not have merot. I have used it to in the past. I guess you just have to pick the right times to try it and make sure your in control at all times. If it works for you, then use it.

I just prefer handling it in a different manner.

Kyle

Yep it works for me. But again I do not and rarely use it. I don't do a lot of routines that is overly exposed in my area. I guess with the use of music and etc there is so much going on in my show I keep the children at bay.

So yes Kyle what works for me I am sure will not work you and others. Each has to find their own way of handling their audience.

I will say again that children entertaining is the toughest crowd.

This may tick some people off but entertaining children is not for everyone and I am not convinced that you can just learn how to work with kids. I think in "most" cases a person who performs for children either has it or they don't.

Just my 2cents.

Ken
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Ken,

I agree with you. You really have to have a knack for wanting to work with kids and having the ability to do it. Sure anyone can learn to cope, but you really do either have what it takes or you don't. Kids can tell if you really enjoy working with them. They truely are the toughest crowd to perform for but also can be the most rewarding.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7394 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Another equally valid way of approaching it is this.

When the child says, "I've seen this before", or spoils the effect by describing it, you can also say, "Oh, so you don't want to see this, then?" Then start to put it away, hesitating slightly.

Now, depending upon the children's reaction when you state you are not going to do it, and proceed to start to put it away, you proceed as follows:

1) if the majority of the children say they want to see it (sometimes including the child who spoke up), you bring it back out and say, "Great, it's one of my favorites, too." Then do the routine.

2) if the children seem to not ask you to see it, then you proceed with the alternate trick.

More often, they will ask to see the trick, because they are disappointed they will be missing something. At this point, you realize they aren't "bored with the same old show", but rather excited they know what is going to happen / or really like the trick.

Note - You should always bring a spare routine or two to your show, anyways, in case something goes wrong (props break, other unforseen events). I usually carry a bill change and another effect, like professor's nightmare.

An analogy to make my point. In a way, this is like some sales situations. You put an offer out there, and if it isn't responded to accordingly, then withdraw it. If it is responded to accordingly, then you proceed with the sale.

- Donald

P.S. If # 2 happens a lot, then you need to fix your show.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Sat reading this post with a big beaming smile. It's all been said hasn't it? I'd just verify that if it's a very young child shouting out, say 4, 5 or 6, then there will almost certainly be no ill-intend from him or her. They are just acting the same way they do when a friend comes round to watch a video or DVD. They tell them the ending before it's even started don't they? Older lads will almost certainly be attempting to kill you though! and you've been given some great solutions here.

Tony.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Hecklers will occur in whatever age group for which you are performing.

The question you need to ask yourself is if you want to deal with Kid size hecklers (which are the worst in my opinion) or adult hecklers?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
When a kid pre-empts your show, it's the same as when they're watching a movie. They know what's going to happen, and are excited by the thought of whats coming and want to share that information and excitement with the others. The thing is not to let this faze you, as Phil said treat it as if they've suggested something you could do. "Wow what a great idea, lets try that.

I very rarely get a show where there are no kids in the audience who havn't seen me before. The other approach I use as this often happens is as soon as they do it, I remind them that some of the kids havn't seen the show, and even though they're excited it's best to keep secret whats going to happen so we don't spoil the surprise.

Some of the kids who turn up time and again through out the year, get this reminder before I start when I'm chatting to them as they arrive and I'm setting up.

However this doesn't work with my superfan James 7. A lovely friendly lad, who just keeps turning up at parties, His Mum, Dad and I have spent the last couple of years trying to train him not to give the game away, but he sees me at least 7-8 times every year and the excitment just gets too much for him and he can't keep his tongue still. He's getting better as he gets older, Making a big bribery balloon model just for him if he does keep his gob shut works to a point. Now though it's a big family joke between me and his parents.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI Donald,
Your answer is fine for the situation where they say they have seen it before, though it's personaly not an aprouch I would use, as I think it makes the performer look bad and changes the structure of the show, given your shows have a structure (I understand many performers do not)Personaly in the situation where someone say's I seen that before I would just say "So have I" and carry on

this does not really adress the issue the issue in question where you are midway through a routine and some one exposes the climax you cannot abbandon the trick then surley?
Phillip
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Of course, if kids say "I've seen that before" maybe the trick is overperformed in your area...

I would say..."HEY! That would be COOL! I was just going to make them disappear but a flag! WOW! I don't think I could do that...well...maybe if you helped me...."
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
P.B.'s First answer was pretty spot on (and Nick's follow up gave it a little more substance)
As with most kids effects, whatever they say, as soon as they see you're not bothered by their response they'll forget about it. The only reason a comment like this will wreck your show is if it is obvious that you yourself are bothered by it.
I use the break-away wand, a lot of kid's have seen this before. If someone says " it's going to break". I deny it strenously. I say "well that must've been a cheap wand, I'm a proper magician (said with hammy fake pride) and nothing of mine ever breaks". This just sets the whole thing up for a bigger laugh.

Your actual response of throwing it away can actually be pretty funny but works more on an adult level. On a couple of occasions I've had props fail and have just thrown them over my shoulder muttering "flaming pound-stretcher" .

Phillip's second point is very interesting re changing the structure of a show. I have a rather free-form structure that works well for me but that's probably a whole different topic.
George
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Felixjr:

That is really funny! I love the way you handled it, although I think Phillip's advice would've worked well too, and lengthened the show.

Ron
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7394 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Philip -

You make an excellent point. And to be honest, I don't think I've had to do anything like this in many years. I just press on, as I usually have a very commanding (but fun) personality during my show.

I can't ever recall having to just substitute in another trick (never had to do #2 option). I do use a structure.

That was simply pure advice, with ideas I had read in other sources!

- Donald.

P.S. Personally, what I do is very similar to your style of response.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Quote:
On 2004-09-20 19:34, magicgeorge wrote:
On a couple of occasions I've had props fail and have just thrown them over my shoulder muttering "flaming pound-stretcher" .

Okay, I love being an American, but I could almost be persuaded to move to Belfast (Almost, I say!) just so I could say things like "flaming pound-stretcher." I have no idea what it means, but I love it. Maybe I should make that my magic words . . .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid heckler situation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL